Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

folding utility trailer

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
This is a little different.

Folding utility trailer - but it folds up over its' own hitch. Says it is only 380lbs empty... seems light considering that supposedly is including the wheels and tires?

And that SUV they use in the video has to have air shocks or something, it barely moves when they lift the trailer.

Interesting idea, not sure how useful. Seems like the light weight folding trailers from Home Depot and others might be more convenient?

https://www.madmaxindustries.com/

If someone could post a picture or the video in the link that would be great.

dedmiston
Unfortunately rhtboston wonโ€™t be answering any more questions.

Forum Rules wrote:
Commercial enterprises and/or their representatives are not allowed to post in these forums.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:

There is a use for nearly everything, just not everyone.

LOL!

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
My daughter lives in town and several of the neighbours have folding trailers. Their HOA doesnโ€™t allow trailers in the driveway or yard. A folding trailer just stands up inside the garag or a garden shed and takes up very little space.

There is a use for nearly everything, just not everyone.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhtboston wrote:

Aside from Emergency Evacuations, here are a few uses that we've taken advantage of:

Family Road trips
Emergency Evacuations
Town Recycle
Outdoors Activities
DIY Home Improvements
Landscaping
Traveling Sports
College Student Move-In Day
โ€ฆto name a few

I hope this helps clarify...thanks everyone

Bob Taylor

This did not help me understand. Sure I can see the utility of a small trailer for the tasks mentioned, and more. I don't see the advantage of folding up the trailer after such uses. Nor can I envision how this trailer would be using for camping. Perhaps it could be used to carry firewood to a campsite and then afterwards fold it up for the return trip. Even that seems questionable. After dropping off firewood or student move in stuff, I think it would be easier just to return without trying to fold up the trailer. I also wonder how many SUVs are designed to carry or drive well with several hundred pounds of trailer and hitch behind the rear axle.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I believe Wa8yxm was talking about the tow vehicle's license plate NOT the trailer's plate.

Personally, it's a neat little trailer for the person with money to spend and no real need of a trailer but who enjoys quirky stuff.

Realistically, being able to fold the trailer up while hitched isn't really practical. It doesn't reduce the space needed to store it when not in use (eg, garage or driveway space). And when it's hitched, as mentioned,it blocks the ability to access the back of the vehicle, so you aren't going to want to drive around with it hitched and folded all the time.

In limited use as "extra storage" on the road for a motorhome, it could make sense. But for other "casual use" to haul stuff, I don't see it being that great. It'd be easier to use a bike rack, rooftop carrier, etc.

And for professional use such as landscaping, it makes no sense at all - most landscapers store equipment permanently in their trailers, so they'd never empty it completely and fold it while hitched. It makes no sense - especially sense they couldn't open their truck's tailgate while it's hitched.

Even for something like moving, the benefit of "folding it up and parking" is minimal. You still have to find a place to park it extended to remove everything before you could fold it up. And once you've removed everything, you're done and can just leave, so why waste time folding it to find another parking space. And let's be serious, most college students don't want their parents hanging around the dorm all day - "get my stuff unloaded and in my room, then go away before you embarass me".
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
You say the license plate swivels down so it is visible when retracted. My state does not license utility trailers, so the trailer would have no license. The license plate that is blocked is the tow vehicle's plate.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

rhtboston
Explorer
Explorer
License in a swivel so itโ€™s visible when being used as well as retracted. Also a second set of tail lights.

rhtboston
Explorer
Explorer
Good point on the license plate.

The license plate holder swivels down so when retracted ii is fully visible and there are also a second set of tail lights. Thanks for mentioning it.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can see an advantage to such a trailer under SOME conditions. I also see a possible ISSUE.. It blocks the license plate on most Vehicles when it's folded.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rhtboston
Explorer
Explorer
We had the privilege of launching our patented retractable utility trailer at the Springfield, MA RV and Camping Show last weekend.

My apologies for not explaining more clearly at the show, but I wanted to make sure that the forum on this topic had accurate information.

The retractable trailer, when being used on the road, is 380lbs, which includes the walls. However, when retracted, it actually only weighs 300lb, which does include the wheels and tires. It's all aluminum, and takes advantage of half-axle torsion hubs, radial tires, and lightweight aluminum wheels, which all add to its lightweight stance.

Instead of leaving the walls behind, we actually provide two ballistic nylon roller bags with wheels that fit nicely in the SUV or RV. I realize I need to shoot a new video to make that clearer.

And we totally agree that it is maddening to back up any trailer. But think about this. You drive into a campground, unload your trailer, retract it, and then back your RV with the retracted trailer into your campsite. Done!

And finally, the 2014 GMC Terrain that we used in the video, has factory standard shocks and no modifications or air shocks.

Our goal is to convert storage space into living space, making your travels even more enjoyable.

Aside from Emergency Evacuations, here are a few uses that we've taken advantage of:

Family Road trips
Emergency Evacuations
Town Recycle
Outdoors Activities
DIY Home Improvements
Landscaping
Traveling Sports
College Student Move-In Day
โ€ฆto name a few

I hope this helps clarify...thanks everyone

Bob Taylor

markchengr
Explorer
Explorer
Rediculous, You need a second trailer to carry all those pieces of sidewall.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
BB_TX wrote:
Interesting. But I agree with not very practical. Ten panels you have to store somewhere. And you canโ€™t open the SUV tailgate or back window with the rack installed.

Yes Sir my thought was I would drop the drill through the rear hatch window when folding the trailer up

JimR

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
And worst of all is the maddening pain of trying to back up a short trailer. I have one for occasional use and curse it every time. I usually end up unhitching and backing it up my narrow driveway by hand.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I bet they sellโ€ฆ..not very many of them! Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Interesting. But I agree with not very practical. Ten panels you have to store somewhere. And you canโ€™t open the SUV tailgate or back window with the rack installed.