cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

For smart car owners w/ battery disconnect inside the car

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a way to lock the car for flat towing when the battery disconnect switch is installed under the dashboard. It requires 2 FOBs:

1) sit in the car's driver seat, with both doors rear gate/window closed.
2) lock the doors then open the driver-side door.
3) Follow your flat towing set up instructions - except stop when you get to using the battery disconnect switch.
4) with the 2nd FOB in hand, press the lock button. It will lock the doors - BUT - because the driver door is open it will then unlock the door after about a half second. This means that you have about a half second after pressing the lock button on the 2nd FOB to disconnect the battery using the battery disconnect switch.
5) complete your flat towing set up instructions
6) exit the car and close the driver door

If done right the car will be locked.

Why the 2nd FOB? From what I can tell, when the FOB is in the ignition switch the lock button on it is disabled, but the lock button on the FOB in your hand will still work.

Notes:
a) After locking the doors the FOB won't function after the battery is disconnected. You will need a key or a key blank to manually unlock the driver door to reenter the car.
b) If you reenter the car after the battery is disconnected, you will not be able to lock the door afterwards. You will need to perform the "After Towing" instructions and then repeat steps 1 through 6.

This is where my battery disconnect switch is located in the car.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures
1 REPLY 1

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I need to try something like this to able to warm up my truck on those cold mornings and have my truck doors locked while I am sitting inside the house drinking good ole fresh ground bean coffee...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS