cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

For that have added a second AC yourself.

mowin
Explorer
Explorer
My 5er is prewired for a second AC, and I'll be using/removing the vent . Not planning on running both at same time as we're seasonal on 30amp service.

So my questions are how difficult of a job is it? And any tricks to getting this thing onto the roof, as I'm already set up for the season. I'm a pretty handy guy, so I'm confident I can do it.

Assuming I use dicor to seal it up, but do I put anything between the AC mounting bracket and the roof?

Thanks in advance for any help.
9 REPLIES 9

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Neighboring hosts just had one added to their prewired trailer. Found one online for $500 less than rv dealer would charge - exact match in style, color, size to their other one. Took son/grandson about 1 1/2 hr to put it in and it was running.

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
I added a second unit to my 30 Amp MH a few years a go. But I kept it on a separate 20 AMP circuit and would plug that into the 20 amp outlet alongside the main 30 AMP RV plug.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

calewjohnson
Explorer
Explorer
I have installed a second AC as others have...what you've been told is good to go... I will add another thought...put startup capacitors on the both units... Doing this will lower the amperage at startup and you should be able to run both AC units on 30 amp connections. You must have the water heater and fridge on propane, and not use the microwave...

Cale
TV: 2015 6.7 F350 CC LB 4x4 DRW with 14k GVWR option (4.3 gear), 98 gallon aux tank installed by Transfer Flow
New: 2014 Voltage 3950
Traded: 2014 Outback 323BH
Still Have: 2007 Fleetwood Nitrous 23ft Toy Hauler

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
The AC I installed on the roof gave specific instructions for the proper torque for the mounting bolts. I don't remember what it was, but it was not very tight and the instructions gave a warning to not over tighten. I torqued to the value given by the manufacturer and had no leaks.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

mowin
Explorer
Explorer
navegator wrote:
Brute force never cured anything, they have to be tight to seal but not overtightened, finnese is called upon, you can always run a bead of dicore arround the out side of the pan and then you will have a shower inside when the condensation has no where to go but in.

Use the gasket matterial, it looks like it will no do the job but it does!

Hand tight and a quarter turn is all that is needed.

navegator

Great info. Thanks..

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Brute force never cured anything, they have to be tight to seal but not overtightened, finnese is called upon, you can always run a bead of dicore arround the out side of the pan and then you will have a shower inside when the condensation has no where to go but in.

Use the gasket matterial, it looks like it will no do the job but it does!

Hand tight and a quarter turn is all that is needed.

navegator

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I did not install my 2nd one myself, but do have a comment. RV place installed my 2nd one and it would not run after installation. They had to order another and told me to return in a week and they would take that one off and put the new one on. Returned as noted, they took it in shop, about 20 minutes later it was ready. That seemed awfully fast so I asked the tech about it. He said the only problem was the tech who had initially installed it had tightened the bolts too tight causing interference and the fan could not turn. Manager hadn't even told him he was supposed to replace it. So don't be one of those gorillas who think if tight is good then tighter is better.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure that the power is off or better unplug the shore power cord now when you remove the vent, clean the roof area of any sealing putty, the seal for the air/con looks like packing material, place this where thec a/c is going to sit place a/c unit on top of sealing material.

Go inside and center the outside unit so that the four screw holes are accesible, now bring the bottom unit up and insert the bolts into the upper unit, position both units within the apperture and tighten the bolts, make sure that the air ducts are not blocked by any obstruction on the ceiling, the bolts need to be really tight to compress the sealing materiel.

Now hook up the power cable to the unit according to the color code, green to the metal frame, white to white screw and black to the black screw, now place the cover with the filter, the instalation is complete hook the shore cable and enjoy.

navegator

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm no expert, but DO NOT use dicor or anything else to seal the unit. The new AC unit should come with a big thick gasket that sits between the AC and the roof.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT