cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford F-250 Base Curb Weight

Dollarbill60
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all! I am in the process of calculating GVWR and GCWR for my 2015 F-250 Super Duty and decided to get an actual base curb weight at a Cat Scale. It is a 6.7 Power Stroke, Crew Cab / short bed.I weighed with a full tank of fuel and nothing else in the truck, not even myself in the truck. It came in at 8,071 pounds. Does that sound reasonable to anyone who has weighed similar? To try and Google the weight was all over the map.
M. Dollar
30 REPLIES 30

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dollarbill60 wrote:
Marty I intend to install Firestone bags before the upgrade but do not want to hang my hat on having that modification increase truck capacity from what I have researched. I will re-visit the weight of what I move to as far as purchase. Appreciate the feedback. No plan to upgrade truck, retiring in two years and it doesn't have 60,000 miles on it, Benn saving it Lol??

Just a thought, our โ€œEmptyโ€ truck weighed 8,071# with a full fuel tank and nothing else, that will put you at about 8,500# with people and hitch. Our 12,500# 5er has a 2,700# pin add that to your truck is 11,200# which is 300# short of the 2015 F350 SRW GVWR. Then assume a 22% pin on a 15,000# 5er is 3,300#, that puts you at 11,800# on the TV.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Dollarbill60
Explorer
Explorer
Marty I intend to install Firestone bags before the upgrade but do not want to hang my hat on having that modification increase truck capacity from what I have researched. I will re-visit the weight of what I move to as far as purchase. Appreciate the feedback. No plan to upgrade truck, retiring in two years and it doesn't have 60,000 miles on it, Benn saving it Lol??
M. Dollar

blt2ski
You have 2800 lbs or so before you have the rear springs overloaded per say. Tires another 800 or so lbs before over loaded.
Assuming around 2500 lbs of hitch weight, that a 10k trailer with 25%HW, 20% would be a max 12500 total wieght trailer.
Unless you are willing to overload the rear springs to the tire capacity, a 15K trailer should not be in your future, without upgrading trucks, or modifying the rest spring capacity. Both options are easy to do.
My 02
Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Dollarbill60
Explorer
Explorer
GAWR FRONT 5940,scale had it at 4740.
GAWR REAR 6100, scale had it at 3331.
Michelin load range E tires with a load dating at 3750
M. Dollar

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dollarbill60 wrote:
Mitch there is no doubt that it has become to some degree a bit complicated. Looking at the weight on the rear axle I am nowhere close to GAWR and I am running Quality load range E tires.I am pulling close to 11,000 pounds now with ease. The next one will be closer to 15,000.

Well you stated the empty truck with a full tank of fuel weighs 8,071, I estimated with passengers more like 8,500# so what are your axle and tire ratings? If you have 5,000# on the front axle that is 3,500# on the rear how much do you actually have on each axle.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yeah... Well, same truck, more weight... Only you will know how it feels for you..

I know I can feel the difference in just #2000 more weight and about 5 feet more length, but in the end, I adjusted to it and with the same truck, it's doing well and i'm comfortable with it.. I'm still way under the advertised tow ratings of the rig, but I'm at the max where i'm comfortable with, so that's all that really matters to me..

You just gotta find your comfort level and go from there... It might be under or over the ratings of your truck, but in the end, you are behind the wheel, so that's all that matters.

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Dollarbill60
Explorer
Explorer
Mitch there is no doubt that it has become to some degree a bit complicated. Looking at the weight on the rear axle I am nowhere close to GAWR and I am running Quality load range E tires.I am pulling close to 11,000 pounds now with ease. The next one will be closer to 15,000.
M. Dollar

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
GCWR really means nothing in the grand scheme of things... Is your truck going to implode if you go #100, #1000 or more over the GCWR yet still under GVWR?? Dunno, but when it all comes down to the nuts and bolts of things, it's about your axle ratings, your tire ratings and wheel ratings that meets the road.. Also, how you feel towing whatever you are towing.. (if it sucks, then maybe you are overweight?? If you are comfortable, then maybe it's okay for YOU??)

Back in the day, we didn't have these "weight ratings" we have today, and just towed what worked... ha, ha... ya, sounds kinda stupid, but in the end, we really didn't do the whole Desi and Lucy in the "Long, Long Trailer" movie thing... ha, ha..

I know it's a different time now, and not the same as the "good ol' days".. but, the same physics apply I would think?

Don't know where I'm going with this.. But, just saying a bunch of "interweb goofs" is not going to tell you what will work or not work for YOU...

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Dollarbill60
Explorer
Explorer
Agร in, that weight is nothing in the truck but a full tank of fuel. I added cargo, personnel and pin weight of the fifth wheel I am looking at and got what I was looking for in GVW. I understand my limits now when looking at GCW
. Appreciate the feedback
M. Dollar

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Like was said. That's what your truck weighs. Is it an XL base model or a Platinum, or something in between? It's all in the options and it's sticker GVWR on the truck subtracted from all those fancy "options"... ๐Ÿ™‚

I have a whimpy 13 F150 with a GVWR of #7700 in the XLT trim with the additional 302a package and it has a yellow sticker payload of #1920.. I looked at some other F150's on the lot when I bought mine and found a Platinum optioned truck with only #7050 GVWR and it's yellow sticker was a whimpy #850... Yes, #850...

I have weighed my truck and with me and a full tank of gas, it was pretty much over by my fat ass 220# weight when I went to the dump..

Anyway, in the end, your truck weighs what it weighs, whether if it's an 150, 250, 350, 450, 550...... You get the idea...

Go from there with your own weight tolerances and you will likely be fine... ๐Ÿ™‚

Mitch

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dollarbill60 wrote:
Hello all! I am in the process of calculating GVWR and GCWR for my 2015 F-250 Super Duty and decided to get an actual base curb weight at a Cat Scale. It is a 6.7 Power Stroke, Crew Cab / short bed.I weighed with a full tank of fuel and nothing else in the truck, not even myself in the truck. It came in at 8,071 pounds. Does that sound reasonable to anyone who has weighed similar? To try and Google the weight was all over the map.

You state 2015 truck, what have you added to it besides fuel? Do you have an in bed tool box,bed cover, or other items?
I will say this makes the 10,000# our 2016 Ram 3500 DRW weighs with DW, me, the 30# dog and a fairly full in bed tool box and hitch seem also reasonable.

The only way you will be able to tow a 5er of any size id ignore the 10,000# GVWR and got by GRAWR.Once you and DW and anything else in that truck you will likely be at 8,500# leaving 1,500# to GVWR.

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
When I weighed mine it had a full tank of fuel and both my wife and I were inside. The total came to almost 8300 pounds.
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel

Dollarbill60
Explorer
Explorer
I am happy with the number. Getting ready to upgrade to a new fifth wheel in the near future and want accurate calculations.
M. Dollar

blt2ski
Base, tare wieghts van vary by a ton. Variations include options like a diesel engine, adding 1000 lbs, power windows 30-40 lbs per door, cruise control 1 lb, trailer hitch 40-60 lbs, leather interior with power seats, 300-500 lbs.....
With this said, you number is correct for YOUR truck.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
That's what it weighs. Reasonable or not.