cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford F-250 Base Curb Weight

Dollarbill60
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all! I am in the process of calculating GVWR and GCWR for my 2015 F-250 Super Duty and decided to get an actual base curb weight at a Cat Scale. It is a 6.7 Power Stroke, Crew Cab / short bed.I weighed with a full tank of fuel and nothing else in the truck, not even myself in the truck. It came in at 8,071 pounds. Does that sound reasonable to anyone who has weighed similar? To try and Google the weight was all over the map.
M. Dollar
30 REPLIES 30

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
When I had my '15 F350 XLT, CC, 4x4, sb, 6.7, Line-X, Dee-Zee running boards, 50 gal Transfer flow replacement fuel tank, B&W 18k Patriot hitch, CAT scale said truck weighed 8700 pounds. So in answer to OP's question, I'd say your spot on w/ your truck weight. Oh, nobody was in truck when weighed.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Dollarbill60 wrote:
Hello all! I am in the process of calculating GVWR and GCWR for my 2015 F-250 Super Duty and decided to get an actual base curb weight at a Cat Scale. It is a 6.7 Power Stroke, Crew Cab / short bed.I weighed with a full tank of fuel and nothing else in the truck, not even myself in the truck. It came in at 8,071 pounds. Does that sound reasonable to anyone who has weighed similar? To try and Google the weight was all over the map.

That's right about what my Ram weighs empty, also a crew cab short bed 4wd with diesel. They're not light vehicles. Stick within your axle and tire ratings and you will be good to go, btw - don't sweat the official GVWR/payload on a 250 class diesel. It's meaningless. On a 2015, anyway - I guess the newer 3/4 tons are ditching the 10k GVWR class max.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:
GCWR really means nothing in the grand scheme of things... Is your truck going to implode if you go #100, #1000 or more over the GCWR yet still under GVWR?? Dunno, but when it all comes down to the nuts and bolts of things, it's about your axle ratings, your tire ratings and wheel ratings that meets the road..

Good luck loading any SRW truck even near GCWR while not exceeding GVWR. Something like that is like a unicorn, no such thing.

Axle ratings and tire ratings are also probably meaningless as the GVWR will be busted long before those numbers come into play.

Install hitch, load trailer, and head for the scales. What you'll probably learn is what everyone seems to be learning lately--3/4 ton trucks are not for heavy 5th wheel trailering, because they don't have enough payload, although they are better than they were 10-15 years ago.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't read all of the posts...but...one does NOT calculate GVWR and GCWR...they are provided by the OEM and is fixed

Unless the OP is trying to have them changed, then he will need licensed folks who DOT will accept the new GVWR and GCWR numbers

Or most likely the OP meant he is trying to calculate the remaining ratings after he subtracts his actual weights, but seems to be confused by his Internet searches, where he states that they are all over the map

Of course, it is for 'their' TV's and setup's, not his...

If no one has suggested, the OP should load up his TV and trailer with people/pets/cargo/etc/etc and go out and weigh the whole setup, axle by axle

That will then give him the information to calculate 'his' setup's remaining GVWR/GCWR and toss in GAWR, front and rear

Dollarbill60 wrote:
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Short answer is, with good tires, your truck will hold a 4klb giver take pin weight with only the addition of airbags or some other overload device and it will not tax any of the truck's OE components beyond their real world ratings (not the artificially low class 2 ratings).
A dually will provide more stability in cross winds and cornering at speed, but is a preference and not a necessity.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Dollarbill60
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo i just learned how you calculated that I believe. Those are the specs of the Fiver I am looking at buying down the road when I upgrade from my Lerado 29RK. I would assume that pin weight will change when loaded. Learning here so thanks for the feedback.
M. Dollar

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dollarbill60 wrote:
rhagfo I am looking at a pin weight of 2575#. I found a label for an F350, had identical tire and rims as my 250, it just runs tire pressure to 80 psi instead of the 65 psi on my door label. The F350 label had a GVWR of 11500# and a rear GAWR of 6780#.I think with the bags and running 80 psi it should help significantly.

So you think you can run 18% pin on a 14,000# 5er and have a good towing experience with little or no chucking? My experience is I needed 22% pin to smooth out the ride.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Dollarbill60
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo I am looking at a pin weight of 2575#. I found a label for an F350, had identical tire and rims as my 250, it just runs tire pressure to 80 psi instead of the 65 psi on my door label. The F350 label had a GVWR of 11500# and a rear GAWR of 6780#.I think with the bags and running 80 psi it should help significantly.
M. Dollar

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dollarbill60 wrote:

Well, looking at all that has transpired in this post I would strongly suggest that you now load up your truck with the hitch that you use, your wife any other stuff that you would be taking on a trip.
Now go to the scales and weigh it again and get the separate axle weights. This is the starting point for fighting if you have the tire capacity to carry the 5er you are looking at.
While your rear axle has a 6,100# rating, you have 7,500# of tire rating on the rear axle 3,750# X 2 = 7,500#, going by these numbers is your decision, only you know your comfort level. At least you are going in with known weights.
Right now you have 2,769# to reach the 6,100# . Just an FYI our 12,500# 5er has a 2,700# pin.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Dollarbill60
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate the feedback from all!
M. Dollar

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Dollarbill60 wrote:
Grit dog I was mildly surprised when I did the curb weight and was just confirming. Looking at an Avalanche 312RS that weighs 11,520 with a carrying capacity of 3480. Calculating personnel weight, cargo and pin weight puts me up there. Just trying to make an informed determination. The truck does great with the Fiver I have now.

Your truck has the same capability as a 350 SRW, with the airbag upgrade you mentioned. As long as you don't overload your tires, it will work for the Avalanche mentioned.

Jerry

Dollarbill60
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog I was mildly surprised when I did the curb weight and was just confirming. Looking at an Avalanche 312RS that weighs 11,520 with a carrying capacity of 3480. Calculating personnel weight, cargo and pin weight puts me up there. Just trying to make an informed determination. The truck does great with the Fiver I have now.
M. Dollar

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Oh, and you're good with a 15klb trailer behind a 2015 Powerstroke, regardless of which model.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
What's the question?
Do you think it should be lighter or heavier?