cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Forward looking rear view camera

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
I watch a lot of rv and travel shows on tv. I see dash cam footage of beautiful road scenery and thought the other day why not put a rear facing rear view camera up on the top of a 5th wheel looking forward down the road. It would be an awesome way to record scenic views.
7 REPLIES 7

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Bite the bullet and get the GoPro. Any GoPro model. You will be pleased with the results. Shotgun can control some by wifi on their smartphone while traveling.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
There's apps for your phone.

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Dash Cam for $22

I have had two for 2 years and the picture quality is excellent. I dropped one and the rear viewing screen went half blank but the camera still records to the SD card with a full screen picture in playback mode on the computer. The other half of the rear screen works for aiming the camera you just cannot see the whole scene the camera lens sees.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
I just got this one: Cobra CDR 840 Dash Cam to record my commute to work. I like it so far.

It's not as good as a GoPro, but it was only $93.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
I use a COBRA dash cam in mine it works really well, the colors are right on, it catches about 180 degrees of the forward view. It has sound or you can turn the sound off. The resolution on the Cobra is very good. I had two cheaper models before the Cobra and was not happy with them at all. I use a 32 GB san disc in mine for long recordings, however it will automatically re-write if you want it to. It will also take stop action shots w/the press of a button and hold them even though you may decide to re-write or format. It will hold those stop action shots in the event of an accident or some such.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
The video quality of those rear view cameras and even most dash cameras is quite poor. Some kind of sports/action camera (GoPro) could provide some reasonable footage.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
People have done that with GoPro cameras with great results. A backup camera doesn't have the resolution to make a good recording but I guess it could be done.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran