cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Four major cities outside U.S. ban diesel by 2025

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Here it comes. I'm going to miss my cummins. Meh it'll be 22 years old by then.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-38170794

It will be nice to walk around paris without all the noise and coughing though.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.
29 REPLIES 29

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
I was following a natural gas bus in Palm Springs today.

The california high speed rail project shows promise though. They are building it as we speak but don't expect to see actual high speed trains on it till 2029. 330 KMH. LA to San franciso n 2 hours 40 minutes.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
It is also a big problem in some cities in the USA that the public transportation is abismal if not down right non existent, Los Angeles or San Diego for example.

When I lived in Los Angeles I decided to take a trip from my inlaws home in the Hollywood, Los Feliz area to Marina del Rey North of the LA airport, I started at 07:00 had to go down town to change bus arrived at Marina del Rey just before 12:00 gulped a slice of pitza a few gulps of a beer and had to take the bus, same one inbound back to down town to transfer to the bus back to Los Felis, got home at 19:30.

Twelve hours on public transport, from Los Feliz to Marina del Rey, by personal car 10 to 20 minutes by freeway, today it is more like 00:45 to one hour or more on the public system it probably takes 2 days, as long as the public transport system in the USA is in bad shape Diesel will still be with us.

In San Diego it would take me one and a half hours from home to work an incredible distance of 25 miles by public transport, so yes the car was handier longer in the afternoon no coorddination between trolley and bus.

In Europe many taxis are Diesel powered, so they have more to gain from changing to a diferent system, Diesel engines produce soot another source of this soot are jet engines, I lived under the path of the Navy's jets landing at north island and we had black greasy dust outside and inside the house, it stoped inside when I built a filter system and positive pressure in the house, the out side is still gresy and sooty, GO NAVY!

Some cities are now using natural gas to power the buses and trash trucks so there is hope for cleaner air, specially for persons with breathing problems.

navegator

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is why I bought my V-10 instead of a diesel!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
RPreeb wrote:
It's also notable that diesel autos are far more prevalent in Europe than in the US. Even the little Lancia that we rented in Italy several years ago was diesel - had just about as much get up and go as a mouse on a hamster wheel.

Absoultely. Some countries more than others. Germany as well but they are also big on the orderly phase out approach. They were initially a little slow in adapting electric vehicles in comparison to countries like Norway where almost half of all new vehicles are electric. Germany was like 1 percent in 2015. However that is changing now and with so many electrics coming to market in the next 18 months they are expected to be presold 2 years ahead of production. Another unknown and with mass speculation is the location of the Gigafactory number two from Tesla. It looked like Britain was going to be the winner but with the coming Brexit that is pretty much over as the tariffs will effect sales in europe once Britain is no longer part of...well...europe. It is starting to look like Germany now as engineering resources and talent are readily available. Lots of speculation on the collapse of trade deals with the US affecting the location of Gigafactory number three but it is pretty much a given that the US has now been ruled out although many feel that Gigafactory number three is at least 5 years away anyway. There are lots of countries trying for it though. As I said, lots of speculation and guessing. Read all about it on the Tesla Forums.

RPreeb
Explorer
Explorer
It's also notable that diesel autos are far more prevalent in Europe than in the US. Even the little Lancia that we rented in Italy several years ago was diesel - had just about as much get up and go as a mouse on a hamster wheel.
Rick
2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 3.5 EB
2017 Jay Feather X213

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
John & Angela wrote:
Campinfan wrote:
I may be wrong but I thought the pollution from our diesels was lower than theirs and aren't the emissions less from the new diesels than from a gasser?

I believe it is a particulate thing. Also part of the problem is how any are modified after for more power etc.

Another thing you see mentioned is noise. Diesels are still fairly noisy. Gassers less and electric dead quiet. From what I hear even busy Norwegian cities are becoming very quiet places. I know both our electric vehicles have "noise makers" so they generate at least a gentle humming sound to warm pedestrians.

But here is a link that may answer some of your questions.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34257424

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Campinfan wrote:
I may be wrong but I thought the pollution from our diesels was lower than theirs and aren't the emissions less from the new diesels than from a gasser?

I believe it is a particulate thing. Also part of the problem is how any are modified after for more power etc.

Another thing you see mentioned is noise. Diesels are still fairly noisy. Gassers less and electric dead quiet. From what I hear even busy Norwegian cities are becoming very quiet places. I know both our electric vehicles have "noise makers" so they generate at least a gentle humming sound to warm pedestrians.

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
These guys seem to be working towards a solution.

http://www.pcmag.com/news/350040/electric-nikola-one-marks-end-of-diesel-engines

http://www.pcmag.com/news/350040/electric-nikola-one-marks-end-of-diesel-engines

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't worry about it here until California does it. Here's the real conundrum... trains engines use diesel, unless they run wires everywhere.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Unless things REALLY change in the USA, I don't see a ban on diesel occurring anywhere in the US. For starters, our nation depends upon 18 wheeler Semi-trucks for the movement of too many goods. Take, for example only 1 company that is nation wide, ... WalMart! Just imagine if 18 wheeler WalMart trucks were banned from some locations! No, I just can't imagine it happening in the USA.

I don't know. Europe has the same issues. They seem to be managing there. They are not trying to ban diesel transport, just limit or eliminate diesel vehicles in the cities.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Unless things REALLY change in the USA, I don't see a ban on diesel occurring anywhere in the US. For starters, our nation depends upon 18 wheeler Semi-trucks for the movement of too many goods. Take, for example only 1 company that is nation wide, ... WalMart! Just imagine if 18 wheeler WalMart trucks were banned from some locations! No, I just can't imagine it happening in the USA.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
in addition to this ban, there are already some european cities that ban all but the lowest pollution gas vehicles or electric vehicles from near city centers already. The license plates in some european countries also designate what polution levels they meet, usually in terms of CO2, so it is easy to enforce. Some of these are 24/7 bans some are bans for certain days or hours.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
I do not think such a ban will ever occur here, and I have no intention of going to any of those cities in my truck, so I'm not too concerned about it.
If diesels are ever banned in Montana cities, I will probably be long dead before it happens, so I'm not very concerned about that, either.

I can see it happening in some cities such as LA. As the tolerance for air pollution drops it is a logical step to improve air quality. I have read a couple of other spin off articles of this one and the one thing that has been stressed is it is not about global warming or climate chage or any other political hot button. It is simply about air quality. I think you are right though. It will be slowest to come to North America. Some european countries are going much further. Norway, Holland etc will completely ban any vehicle with internal combustion engines by 2025 and 2026. So yah, depending on where you live in the world it will come sooner than later. Peer pressure will move it forward from there. When one cities air is literally 100's of time cleaner than another cities public pressure will force the change.

Until then we'll get a few more miles out of our motorhome.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I do not think such a ban will ever occur here, and I have no intention of going to any of those cities in my truck, so I'm not too concerned about it.
If diesels are ever banned in Montana cities, I will probably be long dead before it happens, so I'm not very concerned about that, either.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"