Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fresh Water Tank Leak Repair Advice

jim_harvey
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

Noticed water dripping slowly off the bottom of the frame in the front of our 2014 Southwind, and at the same time noticed that the water level in the 80 gallon fresh water tank (actually I determined there are two 40 gallon fresh water tanks connected together) dropped more than it should have with the little bit of water we were using.

I found a steel plate screwed to the side of the frame, removed it and was able to see the two tanks laying side by side. There is a small hose connected to the bottom of the tanks in effect joining them together.

The tank on the left was actively leaking a small stream of water along a curved line, similar to a seam, about a half inch from where the hose connects to the tank.

The hose is definitely NOT loose, and when I put a slight pressure on the hose I can see the leak increase along that curved seam. I'm afraid to touch it now as it feels as though it would not take much to make it fail completely!

Does anyone have advice on a product that could be used to apply to the seam to stop the leak, and more important strengthen the area so it doesn't occur again. I think the pressure of 40 gallons of water must have made a defect occur in that area!

TIA

Jim

p.s.
I have a picture but can't seem to find how to "attach" it to my post?
Jim Harvey
Spring Grove, Pa
2014 Southwind 32VS
8 REPLIES 8

jim_harvey
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a link to the picture of the leaking tank

Jim Harvey
Spring Grove, Pa
2014 Southwind 32VS

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
jim harvey wrote:
Hello,

Noticed water dripping slowly...

p.s.
I have a picture but can't seem to find how to "attach" it to my post?

RV photo posting made easy

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Plastic welding is the only reliable repair- either with a soldering iron, or Harbor Freight has an inexpensive plastic welder, basically a soldering iron with a large triangular flat tip, and plastic rods for filler.
-- Chris Bryant

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
There is a plumber's putty that is an epoxy product that works well. I used it a few years ago to repair a 3/16" hole in my fresh water tank. Don't ask me how it got there. Hope this helps.
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

jim_harvey
Explorer
Explorer
And yes, the tank is white plastic.

Is there some kind of sealer, like a caulking compound out there?
Jim Harvey
Spring Grove, Pa
2014 Southwind 32VS

jim_harvey
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I do have a soldering iron, so that may be an option...
Jim Harvey
Spring Grove, Pa
2014 Southwind 32VS

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Going to assume that it the tank is white plastic. You could try a soldering gun with a wide tip (tank empty and crack dry) to fuse the crack back together.

Had a similar occurrence in our last trailer. A corner was seeping, and had a small crack. A couple of minutes with the solder gun fixed it. No leak for almost 6yrs before getting new trailer.
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Forget what it is called but the plastic looking tape that fuses to itself when wrapped around the pipe should fix it.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler