cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Full-timer insurance with Progressive...

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
I've stopped traveling for several years so I'm retweaking my truck/rig insurance. Progressive has me so confused.

Personal effects are just the items that have to do with living in the RV? Like electronics? Can't think of anything else that applies.

What is the full-timer insurance covering? $100K/$300K for example...I've taken very good care of my rig which is now paid off and would like to get something comparable in terms of replacement.

My rig is only worth about $15K at this point and I operate an internet business out of it and my product at any given time is worth at least $10K. How do I cover that? Renter's insurance is just mobile and manufactured homes...

I live in my rig full-time and have no other residence. Will I have to itemize all belongings? -- before or after "the event" (destruction/fire/flood).

I don't want to pay more than I have to but don't understand which options to choose.

I also have a $5000K mountain bike that I keep in the back seat of my truck.

thanks...
9 REPLIES 9

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
cannesdo wrote:
It's astounding how little many agents know about their own product.

Maybe the agents are former RV sales people? :B

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
100/300 is liability.
Personal effects is jsut that. Everything that is not part of the RV as it is equipped.
High value items need to be itemized and insured separately unless the entire value is less than the personal effects coverage.

Business inventory is differnet and donโ€™t expect that to be covered in a loss event under your โ€œhomeownersโ€ policy.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, and your $10,000 worth of product will no doubt require a separate commercial insurance policy.

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
Personal effects is anything and everything that you are carrying. Your clothes, your bedding, your cooking gear, your laptop and tablet, your cameras and lenses, your jewelry, your firearms . . .

Basically it has to pay to replace everything you might lose if your rig burned to the ground or something. It can be surprising how much stuff like this can add up to.

There is usually an upper limit per individual items, so if you have really EXPENSIVE jewelry, firearms, or cameras you need to make special arrangements with your insurance company to cover those items, probably for an additional fee. Your $5,000 bicycle is one such item.

If you want to refresh your memory about RV insurance issues, this is the best explanation of the issues I've seen.

http://www.rv-dreams.com/rv-insurance-coverages.html

Full Time RV insurance is very much a niche market. Dealing with agents and companies that SPECIALIZE in it is usually better than trying to deal with regular agents.

Miller RV insurance is one such specialized agency. There are others.

http://www.millerrvinsurance.com/

kenwautoone
Explorer
Explorer
Think you should check out GEICO

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on getting advice with an agent. You have several things that need adressed and a conversation about coverages. Keep searching an agent, not necessarily Progressive that will address them.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
still, talk to your agent, or get another one.

the $100K/$3000K is probably your PL/PD....look it up.

and as for your bike, it is not a $5000K bike, that would mean $5,000,000. K=1000

what is your deductible? do you have special equipment that needs to be on a special coverage package?
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
They don't seem to be much help. It's astounding how little many agents know about their own product.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Suggest you find a Progressive agent.