cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Future plans for work camping

Paw_Paw_John
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking when it will be time to go full timing, I'm thinking of pulling an extra 16 foot trailer behind my 5th wheeler. Inside this trailer would be my carpentry tool and mechanic tools. I would like to know from all of you out there if this is something I could use to get workamping jobs as a maintenance worker?
12 REPLIES 12

Paw_Paw_John
Explorer
Explorer
I can always leave my dear Ali to watch it while I'm dropping the camper off. I would tie her up to the tung, she would not let anybody close to it. Ha Ha!!!! Ali is my 5 year old yellow lab not the wife.

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
Paw Paw John wrote:
I feel that I could park my 16 foot trailer at a truck stop in the area I will be staying and after I drop off my camper, go back and get the trailer.

Good luck with it being there when you go back to get it!

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
We knew some folks that had a large MH and pulled a cargo trailer that was big enough for his workshop, Jeep and a canoe, along with crab pots and other assorted toys.

Knew another who's trailer carried the car, workshop, washer, dryer and freezer.......
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

Paw_Paw_John
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks HGL for the link. I may have to rethink my present outfit. 'M thinking posible a motor home, or have the wife pull the trailer if we have to pull through a State that does not allow triples. I could rent a truck with a hitch and then turn it in after we reach our destination. Motor home option, we will still need a toad. Questions questions questions!!!,

HGL
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link to a page that has a list of states that allow triple towing. I do know that Washington state does not allow it. Triple towing list

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
Over the years of full time travel, we met a few workers that did something like your talking about. One fellow traveled to only KOA's and built the cabins they rent out. All the materials were delivered and he would build the unit in about a 2 week span. He said he got a free spot and a set amount per cabin. He told me he had about 2 years worth of work all around the country and he was having fun. Another guy was rebuilding picnic tables. Got free sites, and so much per table. He planed and sanded the wood, or replaced the boards as needed, sanded and painted the metal structure. I think I saw him do about 2 per day. The rv park owner moved the finished ones out and brought him in two more. I saw a local lumberyard truck pull in and unload all the materials that I assume were purchased by the rv park, but have no knowledge of that for sure. We were in that park for a week and he was working every day, and did a real nice job. He said to me he loved working and has his trip planned by where the next rv park could use him. Just a way to enjoy traveling and doing something you like to do anyway.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

royl
Explorer
Explorer
I know Florida does not allow triple towing, don't ask how I found that out.:R
Roy & Sabine
2000 Coachman Classic 27 RK Fifthwheel
1992 Dodge D250

Paw_Paw_John
Explorer
Explorer
Does anybody know how many states don't allow triple towing? I know that many don't allow you to pull triples off major highway's. I feel that I could park my 16 foot trailer at a truck stop in the area I will be staying and after I drop off my camper, go back and get the trailer. Regardless I will have to disconnect the trailer to park my camper. I know that most campgrounds have some tools to work with, but if I would want to work outside the campground duties I would have them. I also would like to have my two seat side by side 4 wheeler to use when the wife & I go out and prospect for gold!!!

SomedayisNow
Explorer
Explorer
Do not loan your tools, they never come back. They have legs that you can not see.
We travel with a 40' 5vr and and HDT. DH has tool boxes inside, in the belly & on the HDT. Probably about 2500 pounds of tools plus 300 pound of parts. Eliminate the 2nd trailer and get an HDT. Build Cabinets on the back deck for your tools.Just make them waterproof & lockable. You will be happier having them with you, you will be better able to handle the weight they add, & the DW will feel safer.

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
With a lot of experience and your own tools, you can certainly get a lot of workamping jobs. Just remember that if you go that route, the campgrounds will be hiring you because they don't want to pay the prevailing rates to the local tradesmen so you should not expect a big paycheck.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

Irover
Explorer
Explorer
How about a Toy hauler!!!

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure where you plan to go, but be warned that "triple" towing is not allowed in all states. You may not be able to tow that extra trailer. I would look at narrowing down tools, as I think most maintenance jobs don't require that full of a tool set, especially as technical jobs require a license (plumbers, electricians, and even gen contractors) which would be difficult (and expensive) to acquire in multiple states.

That being said, I know folks that work for construction companies and travel from job to job living in RV. I remember a couple of families that installed lighting in large buildings, moving every 3-4 months. They worked for a company that subbed for major construction companies.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS