cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

G2 Portable Satellite

Durhamcutter
Explorer
Explorer
Word to the wise, if you have a G2 portable satellite do not put it on the ground. I bought one and the second time I used it I put it on the ground because I didn't have a small table or what have you to put it on and over night ants built a colony in it, you would not believe what came out of it when I took the dome off. The warranty on the unit only covers Manufactures mistakes not yours such as putting it on the ground, I had to send it back to the Manufacturer for repair, the shipping was $50.00 and the repairs are $200.00, so be ware do not put it on the ground. They don't have anything in there manual about not putting it on the ground. take care and happy camping
9 REPLIES 9

gdweb
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a couple of shaker bottles of 5% sevin dust. seems like there's always an ant mound around, keeps ants off of and out of equipment. got to where I put it around power cord and water hose also.
SEMPER FI

Gary & Diane
Ky
2020 F250 King Ranch 6.7l FX4
2013 Sundance 3270res

Durhamcutter
Explorer
Explorer
I did take the dome off and blew it out but the ants took so much dirt into the dome it clogged up all of the electronics and the rotating disk inside of the unit. Happy Camping.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty sure that I take the prize for RV stupidity. When I bought my 'C' (new) I had an in motion satellite dish installed on the roof. It actually followed the Dish satellite signal as I was driving. Two problems. First, I'm single and don't (and can't) watch the TV while I'm driving. And when I parked for the night, there always seemed to be a pine tree directly between my dish and the satellite. Something about the sap blocking the signal.
Then I discovered that I really like FHU campgrounds that have cable. I'd remove the dome, except it would leave a 4" diameter hole in the roof, and its not in my way, so it stays where it is.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
One more thing -

I have a Pathway X2. The owner's manual states that if it ends up sitting in more then 2 inches of water, the electronics can be damaged. So I also bought the dedicated tripod for it that's made by Winegard (which looks to be the same one used for the G2). So far it has saved me at least 2 times.

So my suggestion to anyone who has one of these portables is to get the tripod. They also can help shoot over bushes, picnic tables, even a tree limb in the wrong place. Would be good for ant avoidance too.

Side benefit is that it looks like you have R2D2's cousin in your yard.

Tim

rollexx
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
WeBeFulltimers wrote:
You must have placed it right on top of a colony.

I wonder what they were watching.

Antman??

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

We'very had our G2 for over a year and very seldom place it on any but the ground no problems to date. But I'll keep it in mind. I may also coat it with something to keep ants out, same thing we use to keep the, out of the dogs water.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
WeBeFulltimers wrote:
You must have placed it right on top of a colony.

I wonder what they were watching.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, good to know. Thanks for the warning.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
You must have placed it right on top of a colony. Probably could have removed the top and blown it out with low pressure air yourself. That is likely what was done for the $200 you were charged (IF they did that much) !
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD