cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator question

Steve_911
Explorer
Explorer
Probably been asked many times, but, will a 1350 a/c unit run using a Honda 2000 gen?
Thanks in advance
23 REPLIES 23

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a Champion 3100 and never look back at "little red"
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

nickdarr
Explorer
Explorer
Our EU2000 will run ours, but pretty much everthing else has to be off or on propane. We have a second one with the parallel kit and can run everthing in the trailer with the two.
Darren, Peggy, two kids, and the Poodle pair
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab PSD
2016 Outdoors Creekside 27DBHS

mrbreeze_az
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Yamaha 2400 watt inverter generator. Yamaha claims it will start and run most 13,500 btu air conditioners. It has started and run 3 different TT ac units that I have owned. The cost was $1250. It is quiet and light weight. I am pretty sure it was designed specifically for this use.
2017 Forest River Salem Cruise Light 261 BHXL
2005 F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 Lariat

Sillybugs2
Explorer
Explorer
We bought ours knowing if we wanted ac to buy a 2nd. Luckily our fave non electric places we don't need ac.
2016 Hideout 28BHSWE
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT 6.7L diesel 6 speed auto SRW longbed

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
Mine will not, I'm not much over sea level and that was with nothing else drawing current. You need a more powerful unit, or two of them.

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
My experience with a coleman Mach series, even with the soft start cap, It won't reliably start the AC. yes, when your at sea level, outside temps in the 80's good chance. But when the temps are in the 90's, or your above about 1000ft, your likely out of luck.

Now some of the newer 13K/15K units are designed with much lower starting current, as in the coleman power cub 9KBTU. That one I can reliably start and run at 7000ft in the 90F range.

Some have said the dometic AC units start more reliably but it's still iffy.

And then to get it to start you MUST turn off ALL other 12V devices, including the battery charger/converter and be very very carefull of what you turn on after it starts running. Basically, if it starts you will be cool but in the dark and even the water pump can kick it off.

IMHO you either need two honda's or something bigger to start with.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2000W Yamaha blue boy. I was able to run the microwave, converter, and 1500W heater. I bought it for survival in the camper only during extreme off grid use.

I could spend another grand on a duplicate model to run the AC.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't want to rely on any 2000 watt genny to power our 13.5K AC unit on a hot day. Since we live and camp at elevation a 2k watt unit wouldn't stand much chance even when it is cool outside. Our Champion 3100 remote start genny easily starts & runs our TT AC which we have tested up to nearly 8K' elevation, even runs it on eco-mode. Of course it's heavier but has wheels and a long handle to help with maneuverability, purchased for about the same price as a single Honda/Yamaha 2K watt unit.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Dependably, NO.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
MrWizard,

Absolutely, in USA.

In Canada the Yamaha 3000 sIEB was $2700.00 (USD) and I had to work VERY hard to get that price. The Magnum with the (necessary) remote was $1700.00

However the hybrid feature is something I've come to rely on a great deal. I'm in grave danger of becoming a "pedestal princess" as Mex would say. LOL

I think Outback makes a 2k hybrid inverter which might be a bit cheaper than the Magnum (I don't really know).
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MrWizard
Don
That magnum is real nice
But for the money he can buy a 3000ui and have cash left over
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Add a hybrid inverter/charger which will take care of the start up surge. Then you have a fighting chance that the Honda 2k unit will operate the roof air.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
if the stars align just so . . . maybe. Mostly, though, the answer is no.

And you, OP, are right, it has been asked a thousand times. At least.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Start it NO
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...