cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Golf Car(t)s

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Golf carts seem to be a part of camping for many -- especially seasonal campers. I also see a lot of transients who will bring them along in a toy hauler, in the bed of their truck, or on its own trailer behind a car, or sometimes their 5th wheel.

Some people are really into their golf carts to the point where they spend hundreds or thousands of dollars tricking them out with all sorts of accessories, and proudly drive around the campground to show them off. I get it -- it's a hobby to some -- a necessity to others.

What are your feelings on golf carts in campgrounds? Do they bother you? Do you enjoy checking out all of the wild stuff people do to them? Also, which do you prefer -- gas or electric? What are the advantages of one over the other?

Me? I don't mind them, but I despise the gas ones if they are continually cruising around my site with their loud engines. I like checking out what people have done to them, but I don't think I would get too much into the accessories if I had a golf cart. I would prefer to own an electric cart if I was in the market, but I don't know if they ae as practical as the gas-powered version.

What do you think?

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers
30 REPLIES 30

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have an old electric '85 EZ-GO that I use to go back and forth to our 2nd garage down the street. Our street is private with a 15 mph speed limit, so I don't worry about being street-legal.

If I was going to get a newer cart - I'd opt for the 48-volt models. Mine is the typical 36-volt cart and is pretty anemic as far as speed goes....LOL! And I'd get a cart with a roof - most golf cart covers are designed for models with roofs. I DID discover that an XL-sized ATV cover fits my topless cart just fine. Since it runs and charges nicely for its age - I'll keep it until it dies....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Golf carts are nothing more than any other toy...For a basic used cart that's around 5 yrs old or so, you can expect to spend $1500-2000, depending on condition of the cart and age of the batteries. Add a lift kit, larger wheels and tires, you are talking about another $1000 at least. This isn't including the high amount spent on a custom paint job or new body, new top, radio system and etc. Go to a golf cart shop and look at the price tag of one completely done for the most part and you are easily talking $6000 and higher....You may find some cheaper, but there is not s much detail or upgrades as some others. Just like a man and a hot rod...or a man and his guns...it's a toy...

Most campgrounds that allow them require them to be electric. Many require that they be registered within the state and street legal...many require insurance....many don't require any of that....We bought an old rental from a campground a couple years ago. Spent another $1000 putting a lift, tires and wheels on it. Haven't done anything else to it. The campground requires that you get an annual sticker from them for a small fee and have insurance. WE haven't taken it any where else. We really haven't been anywhere big enough to want to take it or feel like we need it. We use it at home to take our kid to the bus stop and take the dog for a ride (which she loves). It's great for a long night of trick or treating...lol

Our cart before...

And after...
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
nomad297 wrote:
What advantage does a gas golf cart have over an electric? Can they handle hills better? Do they have more power?

Bruce

My electric didn't have the power I wanted so to get a little more power, I bought a gas one.

:B
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
nomad297 wrote:
What advantage does a gas golf cart have over an electric? Can they handle hills better? Do they have more power?

Bruce
They're generally cheaper to purchase.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

MickeyBrennan
Explorer
Explorer
nomad297 wrote:

Bruce

Generally the power aspect is the same. Gas carts don't need to be recharged but you do need to carry gasoline.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
With the exception of Fort Wilderness, we generally seek campgrounds that do not allow Golf Carts. I don't have a problem with the cart itself, but as others have mentioned, it is usually the driver that's the problem.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer

Bruce

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I have never encountered the problem.
Many of the campgrounds we go to have a rule that any vehicle used in the campground must be street legal. Very few golf carts can be made street legal, mostly due to the low speeds they are capable of (12 to 15 MPH).
So, we encounter very few such vehicles.
ATVs, however, are an entirely different breed. They are around a LOT! Yes, they CAN be made street legal in Montana and other states.
I just joined the crowd, with a big ATV.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

MickeyBrennan
Explorer
Explorer
We love our electric golf cart.

Both of us have bad knees. Our cart enables us to move about freely and enjoy all the amenities of the campground/RV resort. The swimming pool, store and any activities are much easier and more convenient to us. We greet people as we pass and sometimes have very pleasant conversations with other campers. It's also much easier to carry chairs and cooler with snacks and beverages.

Essentially traveling with a cart gives us more bang for our buck. We perceive having and using a golf car based vehicle as value added to each camping trip.

There are many campgrounds that do permit carts but restrict usage of gas golf cars. Some petroleum types can be a little noisy, especially the 2 cycle models. I'll refrain from critiquing peoples actions and try to stay on topic and answer the OP.

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Popsie wrote:
In my experience, it seems like golf carts and bicycles almost never stop or look at intersections - totally disregarding the red octagonal signs with the big STOP in the middle, and pay no regard to the supposed speed limits.

Just as bad is that the campgrounds/"Resorts" do absolutely nothing about it.

Exactly the same as my observations.

Bruce

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
In my experience, it seems like golf carts and bicycles almost never stop or look at intersections - totally disregarding the red octagonal signs with the big STOP in the middle, and pay no regard to the supposed speed limits.

Just as bad is that the campgrounds/"Resorts" do absolutely nothing about it.

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
paulcardoza wrote:
those people who circle the CG endlessly in their F-350's!

I've noticed this, too. What's up with this?

Bruce

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Dtaylor wrote:
It's not the carts I have a problem with, it's the person behind the wheel.

X2 Well said and accurate too.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
It's not the carts I have a problem with, it's the person behind the wheel.
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Most CG's limit them to electric carts. Being much quieter, that is my preference. The only complaints I have is when fools let their kids drive around in them, unsupervised. Also typically against the rules in most CG's.

I see no issues with them if they are properly controlled and rules enforced. It's a lot better than those people who circle the CG endlessly in their F-350's!
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King