cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good Sam Club gone bad

keithhelms
Explorer
Explorer
This company seems to have become a fairly shady marketing firm. I get at least a couple of mailings from them every week for the same products over and over and over again. If I didn't sign up for their insurance after the first 50 mailings, I don't know why they think I will with #51.

The last straw for me was today when I got a bill from Good Sam Roadside Assistance stating "Urgent! YOUR MEMBERSHIP EXPIRES THIS MONTH". I called the number on the bill and told the woman I had never signed up for this program. She said "Oh, you were given a free 6-month membership back in January". To me, it is extremely devious to send me renewal bills for memberships I never requested. I told her to never send anything like this to me again and to take me off their mailing list. I'm sure they make money off of this, because someone somewhere will be confused and pay the bill, possibly thinking their spouse signed up for it.
52 REPLIES 52

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
keithhelms wrote:
hotbyte wrote:
keithhelms wrote:
Bigdog wrote:
You wouldn't have the logo if you hadn't paid for a membership.

Membership as in a Good Sam's Card? Well sure, I have a card. I wouldn't be getting multiple mailings from them a week (I hope!) if I didn't have one of their cards. I guess they cross-referenced the email I signed up with for the forum with the one I gave them for the card. There were no explicit questions on the registration process about whether you have a card.

Sorry, I thought "a member of some part of GS enterprise" meant they thought I was an employee or something.

Yes, the cross reference you GS email against the forum email. I would bet by having their card you somewhere, somehow missed some fine print that put you in a 6 month trial to road side assistance.

I've had a card for several years, so it's not like I just signed up for it and missed some fine print. No, the company did something I consider sleezy and inapropriate - they signed me up for a service that costs money without my permission. This is after I ignored dozens of mailings about their roadside assistance program over multiple years.

The first time I was aware of it was when I opened an envelope from them that looked different from their usual spam and found a bill and a cover letter with the following "Dear Roadside Assistance Member: We haven't yet received your Good Sam Platinum Roadside Assistance dues payment for the coming year's membership". At that point, I'm thinking what the hell, I never signed up for any such program. I called the number on the bill and the lady told me, oh, we gave you a free 6 months trial back in January. I told her to cancel it, never do anything like that again and take me off their mailing list. You see, I really was doing what so many posters helpfully suggested which is to toss their mailings in the trash. Apparently I missed the one where they signed me up for a non-free service.

If you had just thrown that one in the trash you would have never known about the free offer and your "blood pressure" would have stayed normal instead of peaking as it did. I bet since you did not pay the premium, your free 6 mo. service is no longer in effect.

keithhelms
Explorer
Explorer
hotbyte wrote:
keithhelms wrote:
Bigdog wrote:

Membership as in a Good Sam's Card? Well sure, I have a card. I wouldn't be getting multiple mailings from them a week (I hope!) if I didn't have one of their cards. I guess they cross-referenced the email I signed up with for the forum with the one I gave them for the card. There were no explicit questions on the registration process about whether you have a card.

Sorry, I thought "a member of some part of GS enterprise" meant they thought I was an employee or something.

Yes, the cross reference you GS email against the forum email. I would bet by having their card you somewhere, somehow missed some fine print that put you in a 6 month trial to road side assistance.

I've had a card for several years, so it's not like I just signed up for it and missed some fine print. No, the company did something I consider sleezy and inapropriate - they signed me up for a service that costs money without my permission. This is after I ignored dozens of mailings about their roadside assistance program over multiple years.

The first time I was aware of it was when I opened an envelope from them that looked different from their usual spam and found a bill and a cover letter with the following "Dear Roadside Assistance Member: We haven't yet received your Good Sam Platinum Roadside Assistance dues payment for the coming year's membership". At that point, I'm thinking what the hell, I never signed up for any such program. I called the number on the bill and the lady told me, oh, we gave you a free 6 months trial back in January. I told her to cancel it, never do anything like that again and take me off their mailing list. You see, I really was doing what so many posters helpfully suggested which is to toss their mailings in the trash. Apparently I missed the one where they signed me up for a non-free service.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Ozlander wrote:
keithhelms wrote:

A couple of nights ago I got a call from "Windows Technical Support" by some Indian guy. I hung up on him, looked that one up and found they try to con you into giving them remote access to your PC, whereupon you either pay them for some bogus virus removal service or they will delete a bunch of files off your system.

Yeah, I got a call from him. He said my computer had been reporting a problem.
I accused him of spying on my computer and told him I was going to report him to the FBI.
It got real quite on the line.

Got a call like that recently. I told the caller "Thank God you've called! All my computers got confiscated in a raid by the Sheriff's Department. Maybe you can help me prove the bad stuff on there wasn't mine!!" Then I begged them to call the Sheriff's Department to help me get my computers back. I even gave them the phone number. The caller said he'd try.

Haven't heard from them since.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
keithhelms wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:
If this is your big issue you have a pretty easy life

A couple of nights ago I got a call from "Windows Technical Support" by some Indian guy. I hung up on him, looked that one up and found they try to con you into giving them remote access to your PC, whereupon you either pay them for some bogus virus removal service or they will delete a bunch of files off your system.

Yeah, I got a call from him. He said my computer had been reporting a problem.
I accused him of spying on my computer and told him I was going to report him to the FBI.
It got real quite on the line.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
keithhelms wrote:
This company seems to have become a fairly shady marketing firm. I get at least a couple of mailings from them every week for the same products over and over and over again. If I didn't sign up for their insurance after the first 50 mailings, I don't know why they think I will with #51.

The last straw for me was today when I got a bill from Good Sam Roadside Assistance stating "Urgent! YOUR MEMBERSHIP EXPIRES THIS MONTH". I called the number on the bill and told the woman I had never signed up for this program. She said "Oh, you were given a free 6-month membership back in January". To me, it is extremely devious to send me renewal bills for memberships I never requested. I told her to never send anything like this to me again and to take me off their mailing list. I'm sure they make money off of this, because someone somewhere will be confused and pay the bill, possibly thinking their spouse signed up for it.

Go to this thread and post this there.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28438689.cfm

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Well, that puts a little different spin on this thread!

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
keithhelms wrote:
Bigdog wrote:

2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
Water-Bug wrote:
hotbyte wrote:
Sorry Water-Bug...guess my sarcasm didn't come through.

Sarcasm is usually apparent verbally, but sometimes is lost in print. Emoticons (if used) help to make it apparent.

True. I normally do include and emoticon
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

keithhelms
Explorer
Explorer
Bigdog wrote:

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

keithhelms
Explorer
Explorer
hotbyte wrote:
What is really a shame is they sponsor a FREE forum where you can complain about all the junk mail they send you. Interesting that OP has the GS logo under username so is a member of some part of GS enterprise.

Um, no. I am not part of GS Enterprise. I assumed that the logo thing just came with registering for the forum.

And while I did mention that their junk mail is excessive, my complaint was them sending me a bill for an "expiring membership" in their roadside assistance program which I had never signed up for in the first place.

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
hotbyte wrote:

Sarcasm is usually apparent verbally, but sometimes is lost in print. Emoticons (if used) help to make it apparent.

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
Gee whiz, if that's all you have to complain about then mebbee you should get another hobby.:S

Another thing is that he's sitting under a bridge trying to collect tolls. Or is he sitting in a moving boat trying to catch fish. It seems as if he just joined yesterday and this is his first post. :B
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M