cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
He must be related to DW, one mosquito and 10,000 people and she gets bit.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

lasparrot
Explorer
Explorer
csowell wrote:

Eating bananas helps keep pesky mosquitoes & no-see-ums at bay. They make your skin stink to them.

Actually this might be the reverse - my husband eats a bannana every morning - I don't think they are helping - he is great at ATTRACTING mosquitos - I usually don't have to bother with a repellant at all!
Laura and Carm traveling with 3 dogs & 1 African Grey Congo parrot in a 2010 Titanium 30e35sa 5th wheel - love it!
Blog: pursuitofidlepleasures / A dog's perspective: Spike's Journal

Take5
Explorer
Explorer
2008 F250 Power Stroke (Dual Turbo ๐Ÿ™‚
2008 Thor 3180 Bunkhouse
DW, DD, DYellow Lab
Photo = Crater Lake, Oregon

Take5
Explorer
Explorer
And it's "she" not "he", thank you.

LOL Wildplumb, I like your style. Also the low acid approach could help with a new sensitivity issue so will give it a try.
Thank you, thank you,
Take5 (He)
2008 F250 Power Stroke (Dual Turbo ๐Ÿ™‚
2008 Thor 3180 Bunkhouse
DW, DD, DYellow Lab
Photo = Crater Lake, Oregon

csowell
Explorer
Explorer
WildPlumYonder wrote:
ESquared wrote:
Bounce sheets are great for repelling mosquitos.

This does not work for me - my neighbor swears by it, so I tried it, and it had no effect. Both new and "used" sheets.

I can't remember the brand, but there is a small clip-on plastic fan that sprays out a fine DEET-containing mist. Works best sitting out on the patio and not hiking.

Just searched on it: it's made by OFF, here are the e-pinions comments:
http://www.epinions.com/reviews/OFF_Clip_On_Insect_Repeller

Eating bananas helps keep pesky mosquitoes & no-see-ums at bay. They make your skin stink to them.

KDOG2009
Explorer
Explorer
Wow this thread is awesome. Can't believe its not a sticky...

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
csowell wrote:
wny_pat wrote:
csowell wrote:
I'm new here & have been enjoying surfing through all the wonderful posts. I wanted to add some info on the subject of health & prescription information. For years I have worn a stretchy band Medical Alert bracelet (smaller than average watch) that has w/in a waterproof compartment a computer thumb drive w/ medical software. All the paramedics/hospital has to do is plug it into their computer & up pops all your information. You can update at will on your computer as it has its own built-in software program. At our last national RV rally, I purchased another form of the same system. It's the size of a credit card to fit nicely in your wallet. On the top it says "911 MEDICAL ID" and can't be missed. I keep it right above my driver license w/ my insurance card. The thumb drive tab just lifts up. That software program is written for 2 people ~ hmmm, maybe even more.
My son is a full time paramedic. Hate to tell you, but it isn't going to happen, not in the ambulance or the emergency room. You wasted you money. No one is going to plug a unknown thumb drive into their system. They have no idea what is on that thumb drive, and it could take out their system. Have specifically talked to him about this exact subject. He says throw it in the garbage. Sorry!

THANK YOU! That's very interesting & makes full sense to me. I'll ask my son-in-law who was EMT/Paramedic & now a full-time ER nurse how his ER would act. When my husband had a heart attack while we were on the road, the ER in Phoenix did use it to get all of his info. But I was standing right there, as was hubby's brother who is heart transplant surgeon in that very hospital. Might have made all the difference. I'm sure if we were in an accident & both incapable of responding that they wouldn't consider it. I'll surely make hard copy for wallets. Thank you again for the input!!

The File of Life is out here already. It is already endorsed by Hospitals, EMTs, COAs, TRIAD's,
Municipal, Medical, Senior Citizen Organizations, Police, Sheriff's, and Fire Departments all around the United States and Canada. It is usually supplied free by the local Fire Department, Ambulance Squad, Hospital or the local County Health Department of Department of the Aging. You just fill out the information on the form and place it in the magnetic holder and stick it up on the fridge or by the door.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

csowell
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
csowell wrote:
I'm new here & have been enjoying surfing through all the wonderful posts. I wanted to add some info on the subject of health & prescription information. For years I have worn a stretchy band Medical Alert bracelet (smaller than average watch) that has w/in a waterproof compartment a computer thumb drive w/ medical software. All the paramedics/hospital has to do is plug it into their computer & up pops all your information. You can update at will on your computer as it has its own built-in software program. At our last national RV rally, I purchased another form of the same system. It's the size of a credit card to fit nicely in your wallet. On the top it says "911 MEDICAL ID" and can't be missed. I keep it right above my driver license w/ my insurance card. The thumb drive tab just lifts up. That software program is written for 2 people ~ hmmm, maybe even more.
My son is a full time paramedic. Hate to tell you, but it isn't going to happen, not in the ambulance or the emergency room. You wasted you money. No one is going to plug a unknown thumb drive into their system. They have no idea what is on that thumb drive, and it could take out their system. Have specifically talked to him about this exact subject. He says throw it in the garbage. Sorry!

THANK YOU! That's very interesting & makes full sense to me. I'll ask my son-in-law who was EMT/Paramedic & now a full-time ER nurse how his ER would act. When my husband had a heart attack while we were on the road, the ER in Phoenix did use it to get all of his info. But I was standing right there, as was hubby's brother who is heart transplant surgeon in that very hospital. Might have made all the difference. I'm sure if we were in an accident & both incapable of responding that they wouldn't consider it. I'll surely make hard copy for wallets. Thank you again for the input!!

pjeffreysr1
Explorer
Explorer
We often use an electric heater in the fall. But I ALWAYS make sure that the ONLY electric heaters used in our rig are equipted with a "tip over" safety switch, as well as an High temp" sw (abt 350 deg). If the unit is bumped so any part of the base is lifted more than 1/8", the heater TOTALLY SHUTS DOWN, until it is stable again. My family is too valuable to spare $5.00 on the cost of a GOOD heater. (Don't use the heater if it has ONLY a high temp switch. If it were knocked over onto a cloth having oil or solvent on it, or some synthetics, they can and will ignite at a sustained 350.) AND keep ALL conmbustable at least 36" from the front of the heater. Learn "NOT TO BURN." I also have a dedicated outlet for the heater which goes DIRECTLY to the park post outlet - 20 amp. Taht way I can use the heater and the microwave, at the same time!

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
csowell wrote:
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

csowell
Explorer
Explorer

schneid
Explorer
Explorer
crazyoldcoot wrote:
I may be the last to figure this out but I have both Weight Dist. hitch and electric tongue jack.After I hook the camper to the TV I put the jack down enough to lift "some" of the weight off the back of the TV. Makes hooking the WD bars up a lot easier.Then raise the jack.

That's the reason I bought an electric jack. Makes things so much easier.

toprudder
Explorer
Explorer
WildPlum, thanks for the explanation! ๐Ÿ™‚
Bob, Martha, and Matt.
Tucker, the Toy Poodle
'09 K-Z MXT20, '07 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Toprudder.com

crazyoldcoot
Explorer
Explorer
I may be the last to figure this out but I have both Weight Dist. hitch and electric tongue jack.After I hook the camper to the TV I put the jack down enough to lift "some" of the weight off the back of the TV. Makes hooking the WD bars up a lot easier.Then raise the jack.

WildPlumYonder
Explorer
Explorer
Both the Bialetti and the battery-powered frother came from Amazon

Aerolatte Frother
Bialetti Moka

I'm sure you can get both things at other housewares stores.

And the difference between coffee and espresso is that espresso is far, far less acidic because of the short period of time the steam contacts the grounds versus the much-longer period of time that hot water sits on the grounds of drip coffee. Likewise, while espresso has a similar amount of caffeine as coffee, you drink espresso by the ounce and coffee by the cup, so the net result is that espresso is much lower in caffeine. I've tried decaf coffee, and it's the acid, not the caffeine, that gets me.

I make an Americano latte, which is espresso, hot water, frothed 2% milk (2% froths better than skim or whole milk) and, if I'm feeling upscale, cinnamon and chocolate. So while the whole drink is probably close to 8 ounces, very little of it is actually caffeinated.

And it's "she" not "he", thank you.
TT: 2017 Keystone Hideout 21FQWB (prior 2011 FR Wolf Pup, 1990 Starcraft tent trailer, tent camping)
TV: 2013 Ford F150 5.0 V8, 373
(map is where I've camped, not where I've lived or visited)