cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Health issues on the road

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
I spent much of today passing yet another kidney stone, at home. I have faced this while camping as well. I'm wondering how others handle health issues while on trips or if the concerns keep you at home. I have a 2 1/2 week trip planned to remote areas of Maine in August and when this happens it makes me question the wisdom of continuing to do trips like this. I'm sure that when I'm feeling normal again I'll forget about it and carry on. I didn't have to get to the ER today but I've had to many times in the past. I pack some good pain killers for emergency but they are getting very careful about prescribing them now. Any advice from others with issues?
2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer
19 REPLIES 19

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
1. Know where the nearest emergency medical facility is.
2. Ensure your cell phone works wherever you are. If not some type of extra radio might work-CB, ham (assuming some work on different frequencies/principals).
3. Know your EXACT location by using GPS coordinates.
4. If you can't get emergency help it is essential you have a second person that can drive.
5. Take any meds, etc., that you may need with you.
6. Use precautionary measures prior and during your vacation-watch your diet, activity or other such potential cause of an issue.
7. Have all your medical info written down-chronic conditions, allergies (medicines especially), insurance info, doctor's name & number, etc. These things aren't easy to remember when one is stressed.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,m 71 have had 29 stones. and I go where I want. take my pain killers with me. best thing I,ve found is don,t sit while its trying to move walk around, take a ride in a golf cart on a bumpy road, good luck ,been there. it might help to know where the nearest help can be had if needed.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
What good is a health insurance plan if it will not cover you when traveling? I thought most did extend coverage beyond the state one lives in.....why?.....because people travel. I am fortunate to have a good plan and good health but you never know when an emergency may come up so you do what is prudent and go to the ER. or an extended hours clinic.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
ER when out of routine health issues pop up........insurance or not.

Routine/on-going/known health issues......plan ahead and have enough plus meds for duration of trip

And no I do not go thru wondering what -ifs-.

IF that was the case I would have rolled over and taken a dirt nap years ago
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Check your health plans out-of-state coverage.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs