cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Heartland Cyclone Couch Peeling

tammyinwv
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 3 yo cyclone 3110 toyhauler fifth wheel. The couch is peeling so bad its almost bald. The manufacturer wont do anything since its over warranty period. The say they will submit info to couch maker but doubt anything will be done. I had a holiday rambler for 10 yrs. it had off white leather recliners that looked almost new when sold. These leather seats couldnt even hold up with minimal use for 3 yrs.
13 REPLIES 13

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like particle leather (press board leather) that has cheap coating of plastic on it. Real leather does not act like that.

I once redid my truck seat with tanned cow hides. Even had the brands showing from the cattle ranches.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine is American made. It looks really nice. But they make them that per the RV manufacturers request and CHEAP!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the outside is cheap the inside is cheap. Buy a better couch. Probably less money then recovering the cheap inside.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

tammyinwv
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, I understand these to be bonded leather. which is like a very thin veneer glued onto backing. So yea, its leather, but cheap grade. When I buy another camper, it will not be heartland and it will not be leather

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
newman fulltimer wrote:
Thats a cheap boned leather for you. You would be better calling lippert as I'm pretty sure that's who made the couch

Please let us know how that turns out if you decide to pursue that course of action, although I suspect I already know what Lippert is going to say. Good Luck.

If you go to any of the manufacturer specific boards such as Forest River Forums, or the Heartland forum, and search for "peeling" or "peeling furniture" you'll find hundreds if not thousands of posts about it. This stuff is designed to make it past the warranty period, then you're basically on your own.

Reading through those posts over the last few years I have seen where some manufacturers, notably some Forest River Brands, have replaced the upholstery / covers out of warranty, but not the labor to swap them. I do not ever remember Lippert stepping up to the plate even though they were the supplier. Also in a lot of cases the replacements also peeled later.

Generally all this STUFFis low grade garbage.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
filrupmark wrote:
Ours is the same way. We are fixing to reupholster or replace. Dad Gum Cheep Chinese material.

This has nothing to do with Chinese materials. This has everything to do with the American manufacturer who will cut corners at every opportunity. These were not "leather" seats to begin with but were some "leather like" cheap vinyl knock off. Buyer beware fits here nicely.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Built in obsolescence?

Is that in China?

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Built in obsolescence?

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is the same way. We are fixing to reupholster or replace. Dad Gum Cheep Chinese material.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Leather is a realtive term anyway. Like automotiveseating, the only 'leather is on the facing areas, everything else is faux leather aka: Cheap vinyl.

I'd go to an upholstery shop and have it done.

Looks good to me...lol
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Right at 3 years of full time use our couch and recliners are starting to peel.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cheap vinyl. Take it to an upholstery shop and pick something you like and have it redone.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Thats a cheap boned leather for you. You would be better calling lippert as I'm pretty sure that's who made the couch