cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help with an turn signal (not working) issue.

bud121156
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Fleetwood Westlake pop up camper for 6 years.I tow with an 06 Ford Escape. I have the Bargman connector. From the beginning I had an issue with the turn signal. My turn signals,both right and left, would "freeze" up and not flash if I first didn't tap the brakes to activate the lights. Got good over the years remembering to tap the brake first, then turn on the turn signal. If I did happen to forget, I could turn the car off for around 5 minutes, and I suppose some electrical issue would reset, and the turn signals would flash again.
This weekend I traded the pop up for a KZ Sportsman Hybrid. All along I was hoping the turn signal issue would be gone. Well,after the walk through when we hitched up the new camper, the RIGHT turn signal did not work at all, All the other lights worked great. The technician had some sort of tool he connected to the trailer end of the Bargman that sensed the lights from the tow vehicle. It was legit,cause even though the trailer wasn't hooked to the tow vehicle, the lights on the trailer work, including the before mentioned right turn signal.
With having the same issue with 2 different campers, I figure now the problem is with the Ford Escape. All lights on the Escape work fine when I'm not hooked up to a camper. Looking for answers.....any ideas what the problem may be?
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express Bunkhouse
2017 F-150
11 REPLIES 11

bud121156
Explorer
Explorer
The wire running from the box behind the left turn signal over to the right turn signal, had pulled loose on the right turn signal. I have lights and signals now.
2017 F-150

bud121156
Explorer
Explorer
Couldn't find the part on the car to replace it. Drove back to the dealer to get a better idea. The service man at the Ford dealer, after much research,back and forth looking at diagrams showing the module here, then here,no its here, realized the 2006 and newer Escapes DON'T HAVE A FLASHER. Got a refund on the part I had bought the previous day. Another technician then traced all the wires and figured out I have a faulty wiring harness, in the little box in the tail light housing where all the wires run in one side and out the other side, as some had suggested. He showed me as he probed the wires, and sure enough the wire going to the right turn signal wasn't up to snuff.
2017 F-150

stubblejumper
Explorer
Explorer
Had same problem with 06 Escape. Mine did not have Factory installed tow package and when Trailer light hookup was add aftermarket, it require a special module available through auto parts store that ran a line from the battery back. Wires to brake lights etc were under gauge and could not handle additional draw.
1999 Winnebego Chieftain
Wayne & Leila and Teddi (the Kid in the brown fuzzy pyjamas)

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

bud121156
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
I looked on O'reilly auto parts website. Thee Escapes use a modular flasher. It identifies a vehicle with towing package and with out. They do not use standard flashers. Could be a dealer issue.

Just called the Ford dealer. Yes the Escapes have two different modules. One that I have installed now, and one that is standard heavy duty on the tow package. Plug and play. Have it Wednesday.....$92.
2017 F-150

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Does the escape have factory tailer wiring, or something aftermarket? If its aftermarket, it needs to use a powered converter otherwise it will be drawing too many amps for the BCM. Or just switch the trailer to LEDs.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I looked on O'reilly auto parts website. Thee Escapes use a modular flasher. It identifies a vehicle with towing package and with out. They do not use standard flashers. Could be a dealer issue.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
Get a new heavy duty or electronic flasher identified for 5-7 lamps

Yep. There you go.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Get a new heavy duty or electronic flasher identified for 5-7 lamps

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Slap one of these on the back and don't worry about it:

Or this:

bud121156
Explorer
Explorer
If I remember correctly, its the same bulb, but different elements.The technician first changed the bulbs, but still had the same result.
2017 F-150

DO_N_DAT
Explorer
Explorer
Not familiar with the Escape. Does it have separate turn signal lights in the rear from the stop (brake) lamps?
1999 Ford F350, 7.3 Diesel, 2003 Triumph 365L