cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help with convincing a bud

BigSur2
Explorer
Explorer
Guys, I have a friend that believes if he EVER takes a short trip and only has the option to dump vs. dump/rinse/dump/rinse, etc. that he is going to damage his camper for life.....and/or something else bad is going to happen.

Am I the only one that doesn't feel this is an issue. I almost ALWAYS get a full hookup and perform a good tank cleaning before I leave; however, on a really short trip...if all they have is w/e available, I just dump on my way out. I'll usually leave the tank a little "wet"....then use a bag of ice on my next trip and/or be sure to do a really thorough clean.

What is your opinions on this?
BigSur2
2016 Jayco White Hawk 33RSKS
27 REPLIES 27

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just dump and go. Put a bit of dawn dish soap in the bowl as we travel and it us clean. Then flush when I get home or the first time I need too. I can not understand why so many people worry over this. Chemicals rarely do anything. It us a holding tank not a septic system.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I would leave my bud be. Kinda like my neighbor that said he got a pull camper cus the stealer said he could not pull a fifth wheel with his short bed. I said "I will be darn" and walked off.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I have never flushed a black tank and never will, There is no benefit attained and IMO is a waste of time and water.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

BigSur2
Explorer
Explorer
All great points. My thoughts exactly.
BigSur2
2016 Jayco White Hawk 33RSKS

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
What about short trips when you might not get to a dump station for a couple weeks, or longer? It hasn't scared me yet. Am I doing it wrong? LOL
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

...just be understanding and do your own thing with your own camper.

No patience and understanding from me if they are tying up the dump station while I wait!
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
Let me put it this way.. Some folks have "Poop-a-phobia".. Some do not.
Some so bad they cannot use their own toilet.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Let me put it this way.. Some folks have "Poop-a-phobia".. Some do not.

Some understand ... Stuff happens.

I won't bore you with my position on the issue, but just be understanding and do your own thing with your own camper.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Rodz
Explorer
Explorer
Most sensors in the last 10 yrs. are on the out side of the tanks. I've been RVing for over 40 yrs. and have never flushed my tank. I just drain it and move on. Never had a problem.

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Mine gets a good cleaning one or two times a year with a full flush. Other than that, I dump and go. No chemicals. I do pay more attention to the black tank when solids are involved but we often don't use that tank for solid disposal.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

lazydays
Explorer
Explorer
I don't do anything other than dump. Don't care whether it's wet, dry, whatever. The sun will still rise in the morning.
Very Patient Wife
Two Boys & a Girl
2013 Keystone Avalanche 345TG
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have never in 12 years rinsed my tank out. I dump it, pour a few more gallons of water through it (while the gray tank is emptying), and leave it. When I am packing up and getting ready to leave for my next trip, I put 5 gal of water and the prescribed amount of chemical into it and go. I never could understand why anyone thinks their black tank needs to be spotlessly clean.

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Might want to ask him how people travel for months on end in disburssed camping areas (like me) ๐Ÿ™‚
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
I do lot of non hookup camping and a lot of quick trips through dump station. I think the key is use lot of water and and occasional flush when convenient. Pre fill with some water before using toilet. I'm not particularly freaked by public restrooms so I'll try to use those when possible for the solids. Anything to establish greater liquid to solid proportion helps.