cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help with setting up tow for jeep jk

thezooinperu
Explorer
Explorer
New to RV world. I have a 2008 diesel coachmen and I want to tow my 2016 jeep wrangler 4 wheels down. What type of tow bar do I need? Brake system for the jeep? Lights? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to this new life ๐Ÿ™‚
23 REPLIES 23

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
I like the Demco Excalibar mounted and left in the MH receiver hitch and then you can either get the Demco base plates or a custom bumper with Demco tabs built/welded in. I use the Brake Buddy classic as I can move it between my toads. Hopkins has kits for wiring the taillights or you can buy a DIY diode kit or use magnetic light kit from Harbor Freight.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
get a tow bar that mounts on the rear of the motorhome, not on the toad.
bumpy

WHY?

when the jeep has a off road winch type bumper, the tow bar needs to be nothing more than a "A" type that can stay with the jeep.

so you don't drive around with an A bracket everywhere. so it is easier lining up to hitch up.
bumpy

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
I used Demco and did it myself. It was easy only had to drill four holes if I remember correctly. Anyway the install procedure is at their website.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
get a tow bar that mounts on the rear of the motorhome, not on the toad.
bumpy

WHY?

when the jeep has a off road winch type bumper, the tow bar needs to be nothing more than a "A" type that can stay with the jeep.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ready Brute tow setup from Night Shift Auto and a CoolTech wire harness in my 2011 Wrangler. Have towed multiple times thru the Rockies and one round trip to Alaska and never had a problem. Love the surge braking system built into the Ready Brute - simple, non-electrial and problem free. Hookup and disconnect only takes a couple of minutes.

RichNewcome
Explorer
Explorer
For my 2013 I have a Blue OX baseplate with a Ready Brake tow bar/brake. I once had a Brake Buddy type but I much prefer the Ready Brake. Do a search on this forum and you will find more discussion on this subject than you will probably want to read. I added bulbs to the existing tail light housing but many seem to like to use harnesses, diodes etc.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
get a tow bar that mounts on the rear of the motorhome, not on the toad. I used a blue ox aventa II and a brake buddy
bumpy

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
thezooinperu wrote:
New to RV world. I have a 2008 diesel coachmen and I want to tow my 2016 jeep wrangler 4 wheels down. What type of tow bar do I need? Brake system for the jeep? Lights? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to this new life ๐Ÿ™‚

What bumper do you have? after market off road type? or stock?

We use a Falcon II bought from E-bay. with ho-made attach plates.

with THIS tow harness
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Dinghy Towing forum from Towing.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine