cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help!

julesmarly
Explorer
Explorer
We are going trailer shopping tomorrow and I don't think that we are prepared. We need to REALLY know what we can buy.
We own a 2004 Suburban. I have the 3.73 ratio rear axle with a tow package. The engine is 5.3L. Does that mean I have a 5300 V8?
How do we know what we can tow?
Thank you!
21 REPLIES 21

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
julesmarly wrote:
We have kind of decided that we should not do any hybrids because my husband is interested in going to Havasu in Arizona in the summer. So tent siding would be hot.
there are many hybrid owners, in hot areas of the country, that have no problems with keeping the tent ends cool. just takes a couple of easy mods(Popup Gizmos and Reflectix)and with the a/c, can keep the ends quite comfortable.

The RV salesman highly suggested the Passport Ultralites. He said they also have amazing insulation.
PLEASE don't just believe what the salesman says. they'll do or say anything, to make the sale. please look into his claim carefully. you may find the Passport has the same insulation as all the other brands of ultralights.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

APT
Explorer
Explorer
There are lots of RVs out there with about the same up front cost. Spend $10 at a CAT scale. to find out how much tongue weight you have left. Big families and RVing means high capability tow vehicles and that rarely means half tons.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

julesmarly
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! Thank you to all the responses. My husband can't believe all the help we receive here! : )
I have the 3.73 ratio rear axle with a tow package.
So this weekend we looked at a few things. We have kind of decided that we should not do any hybrids because my husband is interested in going to Havasu in Arizona in the summer. So tent siding would be hot. I will research good TT for insulation. The RV salesman highly suggested the Passport Ultralites. He said they also have amazing insulation. We shall keep shopping!
Thanks again everybody!
Jules

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
What you want is a trailer that will weigh around 6k lbs ready to travel! not the GVWR, but the dry weight plus approx. 1200lbs. that would get you a trailer with about a 5k lb dry weight. we had a 28ft 05 Cherokee with a superslide and bunkhouse that had a 5100lb dry weight and weighed 6300lbs ready to travel.

It can be done just shop around and no what you have.

Yes, you have the 5.3L (5300) engine. what gear ratio do you have?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Wishin
Explorer
Explorer
It would be good to know what your payload capacity is. Drive your Suburban with your entire family inside and get it weighed at at scale. I agree with the others that you will probably go over your GVWR or rear axle rating before you hit your tow rating. Guessing, 5-6000 lb loaded trailer will be about your max due to your large family. I have 3 kids and we just bought a 2500 Suburban because I figured we're already at a max on a 1500 Suburban and would easily go over its limits and eventually would. Smaller hybrid might work well or a simple bunk trailer with no slides.
2014 Wildwood 26TBSS - Upgraded with 5200lb axles and larger Goodyear ST tires
2003 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 Suburban 8.1L 4.10's

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
More than likely a lightweight bunkhouse model with no slides might be your best bet like the Jayco 26BH which has an unloaded weight below 5000lbs. If you don't pack it to the gills or run with a full freshwater tank you should be okay.
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

ktosv
Explorer
Explorer
With your family of 6 you need to be looking at trailer with a GVWR under 7200# and to be in all of your weight limits you need to be looking at something under 6400# GVWR.

Four years ago we moved up from a hybrid TT to a 7200# GVWR TT (trailer in my signature). At that time I towed with an 05 Suburban with the 5.3L/3.42 axle. From a power stand point I thought it was fine. I added a tranny temp gauge and didn't see anything alarming there even towing on a 4th of July weekend with outside temps pushing 100F.

However, I had scaled my set up and I was 800# over my GCWR (of 13,000#) and something like 200# over my rear axle weight rating. I didn't tow our trailer with that truck long enough to know what wears out first on a loaded truck like that.

Good luck with your searching.
Kevin and my...
Wife and six kids
2017 Suburban (5.3L/6A/3.08)
6x12 Enclosed Utility

Sold...2011 Express 3500 (6.0L/6A/3.42)
Sold...2010 Passport Ultra Lite 2910

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
julesmarly wrote:
If it is a 5300 (is that what 5.3L means?) with a 3.73 axle ratio, then my owners manual says I can tow 7700 lbs max trailer weight with 13,000lbs GCWR. So is that not what that means? My family of 6 weighs in at less than 800lbs.

Hi Jules,

You mentioned you were trailer shopping. Is that a pop up, a hybrid trailer or a travel trailer?

They are 3 different kinds of campers and have 3 different kinds of issues to overcome.

There are 2 basic areas you have to deal with. Being able to pull it and then being able to have the truck hold it up. (this also means control it)

I use to be a GM towing guy and had 3 of them, the Tahoes and the 2500 Suburban and the vehicles range from 1998 to 2003. My campers outgrew them and GM did not offer a 1 ton short bed crew cab, so I hung up by bow tie for a blue oval... The SUV is a good tow vehicle but only within the limits of the truck and how you use it.

I can tell you quickly, if your passenger load is in the 800# area, you picked that number, so I'm assuming it is in the 700 to 800# range. To the truck that is payload and that much will use up a lot of the available Rear axle rating, (GAWR-RR) and the truck max gross weight rating (GVWR). What is left after the passengers is what the truck can hold up in tongue weight on the back of the truck. And this is with "0" extra room to have traveling gear for your family in the truck. No cooler of pop, extra beach chairs, etc.

You are going to head right into the rear axle and GVWR ratings real quick if you have medium loaded tongue weight camper.

If you are talking about a pop up camper, you have a lot of options. They can sleep a lot of people, have lower tongue weights and do not have a lot of weight to pull. This means the truck is not loaded too heavy trying to hold up the heavy "loaded" trailer tongue weight.

The hyrid camper, hard sides but expandable canvas ends, is the mid level camper. This trailer has higher loaded tongue weights than the pop up (PU), has different conveniences inside the camper compared to the pop up (like bath rooms, bigger sinks, stove areas fridge). It however is a lot wider and taller than the PU and weighs more. Pending which one you are looking at, it may be beyond your truck or not.

The travel trailer, now this takes a lot of consideration and understanding compared to the truck. Pending what camper you get to be able to sleep the 800# of passengers, you can very quickly exceed the trucks ability to hold up the loaded tongue weight and get into pulling problems. Even light weight declared travel trailers can get you into issues. These 8 feet wide, 10 feet tall "bricks" we haul need a truck rated to handle them, both from a loaded tongue weight and ability to pull it and overcome the large wind resistance of a travel trailer.

Some have commented on your engine and rear axle in a pickup. A 1500 series pickup truck will out pull and out hold up a 1,500# SUV in the GM line most every day of the week. The Pickup is a lighter truck in most cases, has heavier springs in the back. ( have to watch out about crew cab, long bed filled with 5 people) The PU can hold up more tongue weight (assuming the bed is not piled high with gear) and have the ability to pull more trailer. Again up to a limit.

Here is a word of advice, do not think you can tow a 7,700# travel trailer with your family all loaded up ready to go camping. The infamous "Tow Rating" has gotten more new camper folks into trouble than any other advertized rating. That rating is a bare stripped model truck, (no luxury options) one passenger (the driver) that weighs 150#, has a loaded TW of approx 700# and the frontal area of the trailer generally does not exceed 60 sq feet. Travel trailers 8 feet wide 10 feet tall with heavy loaded tongue weights and a family of 5 in the truck can exceed the 1500 SUV truck a lot quicker.

GM has gotten better in their towing guides to help explain things then they did in 2004 when your truck was made.

See here, while this is about a new truck, they explain it better. You need to insert your 2004 ratings into this

See this GM site. http://www.gmc.com/trailering-towing.html

A friendly heads up before buy this camper, if you really want to do this right, you need to research how to properly size your truck and your family situation to what you can comfortably tow.

The best place to start is, put all family members in the truck, fill that monster gas tank, put the absolute must have things in the truck when traveling and go spend less that $10 at a truck stop and get a front and rear axle weight. Then come back and figure out and learn what you can tow in a "camper". Do "not" rely on the camper salesmen or even your GM dealer to tell you what camper you can tow. Once you bought it, it is yours and you are the driver responsible to tow it. And the day you left the camper dealer "empty trailer" you might have actually be OK. Then come loading the camper and all the trouble starts.

There is no one or 2 liner statement we can tell you not knowing your family situation that can tell you if that camper will work well for your situation.

Also if you have the 3rd row seat and are not going to use it to haul the camper, take that 70# beast out of the truck before weighing.

Glad to help more, online or off.

Hope this helps and good luck on your search for a new camper. They are a nice part of family time. Do the homework now and figure out the towing.

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

todouble
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever you do dont listen to the dealer. Do your homework before you jump right in. They wanna make a sale and will tell you that you can tow anything with that suburban.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
If it is a 5300 (is that what 5.3L means?) with a 3.73 axle ratio, then my owners manual says I can tow 7700 lbs max trailer weight with 13,000lbs GCWR. So is that not what that means? My family of 6 weighs in at less than 800lbs.
So Donn, what does very little towing capacity mean?

You need to be more concerned with the trucks payload rating than the tow rating. You'll exceed payload before coming anywhere near the tow rating.

Check the sticker on the drivers side door frame. It should give the payload rating or say something like " weight of passengers and cargo should not exceed..."

From that number you need to subtract the weight of your family and any stuff you would carry in the truck. What you have left is the max weight available for the trailer tongue weight and hitch. An common way to estimate the trailers tongue weight is to take approximately 12% of the trailers GVWR. Ignore factory or brochure DRY weights.

Example;

Payload = 1500lbs
subtract 800lbs for your family = 700lbs
Subtract the weight of the weight distributing hitch that you will need (~75lbs) = 625lbs left over

12% of a 5000lbs loaded weight trailer = 600lbs so you'd want a trailer that was no more than 5000lbs when loaded which would be a trailer with a dry weight in the area of 3500-4000lbs.

Your tow rating is also reduced pound for pound by any weight added to the tow vehicle beyond 150lbs for the driver.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
Towed our 23' TT, near 5K lbs scale weight ready to go, many thousands of miles several times over the Rockies and back with an 05 Avalanche which is about the same as the Suburban. Think you would be fine if you stay under 6K loaded. You won't be the fastest on the grades but you will get to the top. Make sure your tow package included the trans cooler some of the 05 Avs didn't even with the tow package.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

Locky
Explorer
Explorer
We have the same engine and axles in our 2000 GMC truck. We have been pulling our 28' Jayco bunkhouse for 7 years now with no problems at all. Now, we do not have a lot of hills that we tow up. There are times when I would love more power on some of the steeper ones but the truck does do its job but has to work a little harder. I wouldnt want any bigger trailer at the moment. Myself if I was you I would go with the lightest trailer that fits your needs.

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget the weight of fuel and water,(in the storage tanks). Food and gear add weight real fast. You have to add that weight to your total capacity. Do not listen to the RV salesman. They will frequently tell you can pull more than you should. It's not just the gear ratio. Heavy duty shocks, radiator, breaks, transmission, etc. I have pulled 2 different TT with a Suburban just like yours-it's not a good, or safe idea. If you need passenger space and power-I bought a 1 ton van. It's not too hard to find a used work van-they're inexpensive, not pretty, but will do the job.

2Macs
Explorer
Explorer
I towed with a 5.3 liter Suburban from 2004 to 2007 with a 26 foot travel trailer. The 5.3 liter is very poor towing anything above 5000 lbs dry weight.
Your experience will range from constant shifting in head or side winds or going up any slight grade. Towing in the mountains or steep hills will pull you down to 30 to 50 mph with you foot pushing the gas pedal into the floor.

You need to be extremely careful in your selection. Do not believe a salesman who will tell you anything to get you to buy.

I ended up upgrading to a Chevrolet 3500 dually pickup with a turbo diesel. It tows my 35 foot TT like it is not there.
Ed & Michele :C