cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hip Replacement and RV'ing

TravelTracer
Explorer
Explorer
I'm scheduled to have my right hip replaced at the end of October. This is something that I have put off for quite sometime...well it's time now. I have delayed it until the end of October so that I can enjoy the TT as much as possible.

I will have the TT winterized prior to surgery, so I won't be using the trailer until Spring of 2014. I don't have a clue as to what effect this will have on my mobility next Spring. Hopefully, everything will be healed by then.

Any suggestions for RV'ing after hip replacement surgery, or any suggestions/modifications to the trailer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance...

TravelTracer
When you're OVER THE HILL, that's when you pick up speed.
26 REPLIES 26

TravelTracer
Explorer
Explorer
WayneLee....That's amazing! I understand about the knees for sure. I was told that my left hip may be next. However, my left knee is also a problem. I'll get thru this and worry about the other joints later. One thing for sure, If I need additional surgery, it will have to wait for a season that will not interfere with RV'ing....LOL!

TravelTracer

WayneLee
Explorer
Explorer
That's really great!! Glad to hear that you are progressing so well. Keep up with the physical therapy, it's very important. My wife and I are into ballroom dancing and we compete in it. Two weeks ago we were in Orlando at a competition, my first after the hip replacement in April. Went really well and I didn't have any problems with my hips at all. Now, it was a whole other story about my knees. Yuck, I get my hips fixed and now my knees are getting bad. It really sucks getting old!!

Wayne Lee
Out West Somewhere

2016 Forest River Sunseeker 3050DS Class C | Hummer H3 dinghy

emzee
Explorer
Explorer
TravelTracer so happy to hear how well you are doing. Hang in there!! Thanks for updating us. ๐Ÿ™‚

TravelTracer
Explorer
Explorer
As promised...here is my progress report:

I had the surgery to replace the right hip on October, 21st...a Monday and was sent home on the following Wednesday. Each day I do see progress. I'm taking all of your advice and precautions. While therapy is not much fun, I can see where it is helping. My check-up 3 weeks after surgery was all positive. I was given the approval to start driving. Although, I've only driven twice for a very short distance. It is now 4 weeks post-op and I'm really looking forward to the 2014 camping season...Guess I must be doing okay.

Thanks again for your suggestions and words of encouragement...they are greatly appreciated.

TravelTracer

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
My DW has had two hip replacements, the first about four years ago on her right hip using the conventional or older method of surgery from the back side, that replacement has caused problems and pain once in awhile since then. The left hip was replaced at a different hospital where the surgeon used the modern anterior method of operating from the front, she was moving about three days after the surgery and has had no problems whatsoever. So your recovery and ability to RV again in a short while depends on the surgery method and sticking with the therapy program, only go to a orthropedic surgeon who is up-to-date on methods and the actual prothesis used.

TravelTracer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks WayneLee there is a lot of helpful info in your post. I would think that I have had the non-glue procedure (I'm 65). The hospital staff was very persistent about all of the hip precautions. Since I don't want a return trip to the hospital, I plan on following all of the rules. I'm very glad you mentioned the necessary caution up to a year after surgery.....didn't know that one! Thanks again...

TravelTracer

WayneLee
Explorer
Explorer
I have had both hips replaced. The right side was 9 1/2 years ago, and the left this past April, I am now 67 years old. No problems at all with recovery from both, but there was a definite difference in the 9.5 years!! In both cases, I was up and walking right after surgery, but this year I had to build up to walking 3/4 mile twice a day. Started walking with walker, graduated to a cane, and then no cane in 3 week time period. Back to work in 3 weeks the first time, 4 weeks this time, and driving sooner this time - left leg doesn't move in an automatic transmission, right leg had to heal more.

Regarding the "glue in" replacement hip. There are basically two different designs. The first is a prosthesis that is glued into your leg. This type provides for less chance in having the prosthesis relocate, or move, plus it does not allow for a lot of exercise, and is generally used for older patients. The type I have in both legs, has a perforated, or rough surface on the prosthesis that allows the leg to completely bond with the prosthesis while healing. This type provides a sound and complete structure between the prosthesis and the femur.

Another item to be aware... The "complete" healing time is around one year. That doesn't mean you cannot do anything for that time, heck I was out RVing in 8 weeks, but that is the critical time that you will have to watch for proper bending, reaching, and avoiding the 90 degree rule. The biggest problem with patients is that they start feeling really good, then overdo it, and pop out the hip joint. Then, it's "do not pass go, do not collect $200" dial 911 and get to the emergency room. According to some articles, about 8% of hip replacements have hip dislocations.

If you want to see what they really do to your body for this operation, there are some YouTube videos showing the complete operation. Not for the squeemish, they show a lot of blood loss.

Wayne Lee
Out West Somewhere

2016 Forest River Sunseeker 3050DS Class C | Hummer H3 dinghy

TravelTracer
Explorer
Explorer
Duck wrote:
Worth saying again TravelTracer, doing the physical therapy is the key to a good quick recovery.
Don

Hello Duck...thanks for the reply. I'm doing my best, Including the physical therapy. Looking forward to Spring 2014, so I can get the TT back on the road. Like you....many have stressed the importance of physical therapy.

TravelTracer

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
Worth saying again TravelTracer, doing the physical therapy is the key to a good quick recovery.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

TravelTracer
Explorer
Explorer
rvlady581 wrote:
I had a thr aug '12 & was OK to rv this past Apr. I have a disabled hubby, so I do all driving, hooking up, etc & no problems w hip. I do my xrcises ea day & since I'm younger didn't get my hip cemented in so recovery was a little longer.

Good luck

Thanks for the reply......I'm recovering as I type this to you. My THR was this past Monday (21st). For the most part, everything went well. My wife has been the absolute best in helping me.

As for getting the hip cemented...I'll have to ask about that. I don't think they did that, but not sure.

We're really looking forward to the 2014 spring season. Your post was very uplifting and I appreciate that.

Good Luck,
TravelTracer

rvlady581
Explorer
Explorer
I had a thr aug '12 & was OK to rv this past Apr. I have a disabled hubby, so I do all driving, hooking up, etc & no problems w hip. I do my xrcises ea day & since I'm younger didn't get my hip cemented in so recovery was a little longer.

Good luck

TravelTracer
Explorer
Explorer
I sure do appreciate all of the positive comments. I was really concerned that it would interfere with the RV lifestyle that we have enjoyed. Your helpful posts give me something to look forward to. Thanks again!!

TravelTracer

Luv_Campin
Explorer
Explorer
I had my left hip replaced 4 weeks ago. I'm walking without a cane or walker, but walking slowly. Went back to work last week. Still can't drive for another 2 weeks. Really looking forward to camping again and being totally normal. The process has been easier than I had thought it would be overall. It probably helps that I'm 53.

I was in less pain about a week and a half after the surgery than I was before the surgery. Getting the right one done in December.

They give you a lot of info about what to do and what not to do afterwards. I'm following their orders because I figure they know a lot more about the process than I do.
2007 Ford F150
2012 Keystone Summerland 2100RB
one bossy dachsund
1 short wife and 1 short dog

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
Many have mentioned doing the therapy afterwards.. ask your doc about any exercises you can do before.. my mom did exercises before her knee replacements, doctor said it made leg muscles stronger and helped them heal quicker. not had replacement yet, but exercises before surgery to deal with torn meniscus and excess wear in knee helped me recover faster (I think anyhow).. If nothing else, it got me in the routine of doing the exercises couple of times a day.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS