cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitch shopping, recommendations?

JaycoRickJoan
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I know this is an age old question, and of course the hitch you have is the best, but I will still ask...
I have a 2005 GMC Sierra 2500hd pulling a 2005 Jayco FKS322 32' bumper pull. I could not tell you what brand of hitch I currently have, it's the hitch the dealer installed for this combo, but it is nothing special, chain bar weight distro, friction sway control. It does ok but I know there is better and after pulling this rig for 10 years, I am looking for something that provides safer smoother pulling. My confidence level on a 10 year old hitch is not high, and I am ready to upgrade. We are not intending on getting a new truck or trailer in the near future. A few years back I considered Hensley but didn't pull the trigger. Have not seen much about Hensley on any forums recently so I'm not sure if that fad has come and gone. We are not full time RV'ers, just recreational 2x a year long trips and maybe 1x a month local campers.
Bottom line, I want smooth, safe pulling.
Let's hear your recommendations. Ready..... Go.
Rick & Joan
Rogers, Arkansas
2005 Jayco Eagle 322FKS TT
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
:C
2 First Gen Camaros
24 REPLIES 24

JaycoRickJoan
Explorer
Explorer
Leaning towards ProPride. For those who have them, they sell direct and are installed by end user. How difficult of an install was it?
Rick & Joan
Rogers, Arkansas
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2 First Gen Camaros

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I went with the ProPride after a scary ride with the original hitch setup put on by the dealer (regular WDH and Friction control Sway bar). It wasn't cheap but it's the best decision I ever made. The decision you have to make is do you want 1. It works for $300-Might be fine but chances are that sometime down the road you'll have a sway problem 2.It Works and there's some improvement for $500-$600-probably won't have any problems towing but you might. Or 3. It works and it don't get any better than this for $1,000 used or over $2,000 for new. More than likely you will never have any issues. Nothing is 100% safe. There's always going to be variables that play into it but for my money, I want the best I can get and the best chance of having a great towing experience.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hensley or ProPride. All the rest (except PullRite) are just friction based.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

dfm
Explorer
Explorer
I went with a reese dual cam when I bought my current trailer and I am pleased with the towing experience.
2015 Open Range 340 FLR
2012 Ram3500 Laramie Longhorn/Cummins
1 DW 1 Furperson

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I see the WDH market in 3 tiers. Basic WDH with optional friction sway control ~$300. WDH with integrated sway control for about $500 (Equal-i-zer 4pt, Reese Strait Line, BlueOx Swaypro, Anderson), and top tier at $2000-3000 (PullRite, Propride, Hensley). Anyone report from a person who has used an example from more than one tier has said the next higher tier is noticeably improved in terms of towing stability.

I recommend at least the middle tier for TT owners.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

JaycoRickJoan
Explorer
Explorer
Yes Dick, I did. Found a plethora of info and all depended on what the TV/TT combo is. That's why I outlined what my setup is and my usage. Trying to drill down and get feedback from someone(s) who may have similar setup. Thx.
Rick & Joan
Rogers, Arkansas
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2 First Gen Camaros

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Did you search this Forum for `hitch' then search the results for the specific model you are interested in eg. hensley?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
Most top quality hitches will work great with the TV/TT combo you got.
Some of the top rated hitches are:

Equalizer, the Anderson chain, and Reese dual cam to name a few.

(IMHO) Top performers are the Propride and Hensley.

Read the reviews with caution as some will swear there brands are better than others it's like GM vs Ford or Windows vs Mac they are all good.
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hensley is alive and well! ๐Ÿ™‚ That would be my choice and was. Also, both of my sons picked up used Hensley hitches for under $1000 each. Found them on Craigslist.

They are easily re-buildable if necessary but was not in either of their cases. I did re-build mine a couple of years ago and it was very easy and was very inexpensive to do. The only thing mine required was new paint and some grease. I wrote about it and provided pictures of the process here.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Get the Anderson chain wdhyou won't go wrong with it