cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitch

towdriver
Explorer
Explorer
I just got a new TV and due to the body/hitch style I need a fair bit of drop to pull the different trailers I own. Right now I'm using a 12" drop with pintle/ball combination that I can unbolt and move to what ever height in need. While this works it isn't ideal and takes a bit to remove and install then torque bolts. Found this Hitch and wondering if anyone has used it and how they like it or any thoughts you might have about it.
05 Dodge 3500 4x4 QCLFB Edge Juice w/Attitude
06 FunFinder X240
5 REPLIES 5

towdriver
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at that B&W hitch but it doesn't come in enough drop for what I need.
06 FunFinder X240

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I use this. B&W

The tongue weight on the one you posted is an intereting concept.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

towdriver
Explorer
Explorer
So far I haven't seen the need for a WD hitch with my current TV and TT (~400km) and don't know if I would be able to get one with enough drop. I'm running about 10-11" drop now. I have one receiver set for my TT and another that works for utility trailer but I'm also moving trailers for people as a side business so looking for something easier to adjust and this also has the bonus of giving me a tongue weight.
06 FunFinder X240

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I have towed with several different trailers now. I currently have 2. My travel trailer and a utility trailer. I have found it the best (for me), to have a single hitch dedicated for each trailer I tow with my truck. I think I have 4 or 5 hitches now that matched different tow vehicles and trailer combinations I've had. They are not adjustable, they are fixed. For me, it is just easier to have a dedicated hitch for the specific trailer.

If you don't mind doing the adjustments on the hitch between trailer changes, I don't see any reason why the hitch you're interested in would not work well for you. I think the weight scale read-out is an interesting feature. But, I don't see any way to use weight distribution (if that is needed). But maybe you don't need it.

My thoughts, regarding a solid fixed hitch compared to an adjustable one: The more parts, the more opportunity for failure. The more parts that have to be pulled apart and reassembled, for me, is a risk to somehow make a mistake someday. This may NEVER happen, but with a fixed hitch dedicated to a specific trailer, there's minimum risk of failure or forgetting or assuming something is re-assembled correct.

Case in point. I use a locking hitch pin. A manual one is really best, because I have found out if I'm not extremely careful, the locking mechanism does not catch if the pin is not all the way through the holes. I've caught this a couple times (thank-goodness before I hitched the camper). But a manual one, I'd never have this happen with a cotter pin. I use the locking pin still, even though I know there is a risk. So I always double check and give an extra tug to make sure it actually caught and locked now too. But you see the potential there?

But as far as the hitch you're considering, I've never used it, but from what I see on the web site, it looks like a good hitch. I think you won't be disappointed with it.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
That looks pretty interesting! I guess it has quick release to adjust the ball height, and set it properly, so the trailer is level.

Have fun camping!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com