cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda CR-V the night before???

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
There are many postings about the correct procedure to follow before towing the Honda CR-V. I have a slightly different question.

I have always performed the gear shift routine right before departing with the motorhome. Would it be OK to do the setup routine with the gears the night before departure? Thus I could just get in the motorhome in the morning and drive away.
7 REPLIES 7

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
gasser9 wrote:
The BOOK states every 8 hours whether moving or not. My book has an addendum that requests 7 hours & 5 minutes run time if you go to Reverse or Park another 5 min. It is your $3000 Transmission do what you feel comfortable with.

gasser9

What year is your CR-V. I have not seen an addendum for my 2014. I'm paranoid about run times, and more frequently seems prudent.

As an aside. . . My braking system malfunctioned on the interstate while travelling at 60 mph, and the CR-V stopped the MH in about 200 feet (impressive!). There was mucho smoke from the tires, but it stopped it really straight. . . all tires were squared off very evenly. Cars on the Interstate move very quickly out of the area when there is smoke in front of them, fortunately there was an exit very close.

After consultation with Honda and Les Schwab (in Anacortes), I replaced the CR-V tires in St. George, UT for about $40 less per tire than Les Schwab. If you ever have tires issues in St George, go to Gene's OK Tire. They were amazing. I had hoped to get more than 1,800 miles on the original Dunlap tires.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

gasser9
Explorer
Explorer
The BOOK states every 8 hours whether moving or not. My book has an addendum that requests 7 hours & 5 minutes run time if you go to Reverse or Park another 5 min. It is your $3000 Transmission do what you feel comfortable with.

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
I have done both with zero problems! That's not to say that You should follow Mine or anyone else's advice on this forum!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I'd also do it just before you leave and for the reasons that OldHatt45 suggests.

I also tend to do it after we stop for lunch or a break and things have cooled down, and also every 8 hours while towing.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

dicknellen
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always do mine in prior to taking off, even if the CRV was hooked up the night before. I agree with OldHatt45. Dick

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
Drew...

Thanks...what you say makes good sense.

Bill

OldHatt45
Explorer
Explorer
Bill,
I believe the reason for the pre-departure routine is to get the transmission fluid warm and into the places where it has drained out of.
Doing the procedure the night before would then allow the transmission to cool off and drain.

Drew