cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How Are Escalating CG/Resort Increases Affecting You?

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Just reading more and more posts and hearing of substantial increase in CG/Resort Prices. Chula Vista San Diego, Gunnison KOA dropping monthly rates so more than doubled based on daily rates and several others gone up substantially. How is this affecting how you travel?

We appreciate, it's all to do with supply and demand, and for sure can appreciate that some of the costs may have gone up exponentially but just curious how end users/RVers have or are planning on changing how they travel, or where they stay. There is no way our incomes have increased the same percentage that the rates to stay have for sure. For example back in the 90's we loved staying at Provincial Parks and various State and Federal CG's, but with privatization and exorbitant increases to the daily rates for basically "somewhere" just to park overnight (we are totally self sufficient with solar etc, so don't need hookups, for the past several years we are avoiding paying these overnight rates for the most part and finding somewhere nearby to boondock/drycamp. Our local PP hubby fishes for walleye and pike at, we go down to the lake/dam at 7am in the morning, I kayak, prep foods in the car park in the RV, and we leave anywhere after dark and find somewhere within a couple of miles to dry camp overnight. Don't get me wrong if it were less than $12/night to stay then fair comment we'd gladly pay and stay, but $39 for too many restrictions and little other than the lake everyone has access to we can't justify $40/night personally. I recall when we paid an exhorbitant $75/night at Newport Dunes to explore LA area as a one off for the experience, but there is no way on earth I'd pay their current $300/night today.

Don't want this to get in to a "justification" thread as to "why" they charge what they do etc, but just curious who else has started to change the way they travel and stay due to the increased charges for a site etc. Like always, we have the choice to stay or not and vote with our dollars ๐Ÿ™‚
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars
41 REPLIES 41

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
CampbellDaycruiser wrote:
State and the federal government need to get out of the campground business and stop competing with private industry. It's not fair that my tax dollars go to subsidizing someone else's cheap vacation at a state campground. Lower our taxes and charge realistic user fees instead.

Could not disagree more!
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We play the game. Little bit of this. Little bit of that. We try to average $30 or under. DW goes ballistic if she sees anything over $40. We don't go dumpster diving either. Use Passport if we can. Do lots of SPs, CPs & COEs. Wally is fine for an overnight especially if the pantry needs restocking. Seldom make reservations but keep an eye open for busy weekends & high demand locations. Try to arrive at those on a Thursday if no reservations.

Really get annoyed at the add ons like Colorado's fee for the TV or some states 'reservation fee' when we are drive ups. Some states are getting too greedy, especially when it comes to non residents. Some areas you are better off at a private CG, even if sites are a bit tight.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
CampbellDaycruiser wrote:
State and the federal government need to get out of the campground business and stop competing with private industry. It's not fair that my tax dollars go to subsidizing someone else's cheap vacation at a state campground. Lower our taxes and charge realistic user fees instead.

I can't say I agree with your thoughts on the role and point of government land.
To my way of thinking it was purchased to help future generations understand the truer past of the off continent and aboriginal pioneers and keep the land from becoming a cash cow for any generation that thinks its all about immediate needs.
Greenbacks (mostly) were paid for this land in the name of the people soo we should be able to use and conserve it.

Government owned campgrounds existed before private ones and each serve a market with some overlapping.

I prefer government owned campsites over private versions but am happy that both types exist giving us choices.

CampbellDaycrui
Explorer
Explorer

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
It hasn't affected me yet, there is usually a low cost alternative in the area or can boondock to offset costs. Then again it's rare for me to go to a (resort).

RPreeb
Explorer
Explorer
FULLTIMEWANABE wrote:
Just reading more and more posts and hearing of substantial increase in CG/Resort Prices. Chula Vista San Diego, Gunnison KOA dropping monthly rates so more than doubled based on daily rates and several others gone up substantially. How is this affecting how you travel?

We appreciate, it's all to do with supply and demand, and for sure can appreciate that some of the costs may have gone up exponentially but just curious how end users/RVers have or are planning on changing how they travel, or where they stay. There is no way our incomes have increased the same percentage that the rates to stay have for sure. For example back in the 90's we loved staying at Provincial Parks and various State and Federal CG's, but with privatization and exorbitant increases to the daily rates for basically "somewhere" just to park overnight (we are totally self sufficient with solar etc, so don't need hookups, for the past several years we are avoiding paying these overnight rates for the most part and finding somewhere nearby to boondock/drycamp. Our local PP hubby fishes for walleye and pike at, we go down to the lake/dam at 7am in the morning, I kayak, prep foods in the car park in the RV, and we leave anywhere after dark and find somewhere within a couple of miles to dry camp overnight. Don't get me wrong if it were less than $12/night to stay then fair comment we'd gladly pay and stay, but $39 for too many restrictions and little other than the lake everyone has access to we can't justify $40/night personally. I recall when we paid an exhorbitant $75/night at Newport Dunes to explore LA area as a one off for the experience, but there is no way on earth I'd pay their current $300/night today.

Don't want this to get in to a "justification" thread as to "why" they charge what they do etc, but just curious who else has started to change the way they travel and stay due to the increased charges for a site etc. Like always, we have the choice to stay or not and vote with our dollars ๐Ÿ™‚

No effect on us. We don't need hookups, and we prefer national forest campgrounds, or true boondocking, with state and national parks next. No interest in most commercial camping lots (I don't even see them as being "campgrounds"), so the price they charge is not an issue. national forest camps are typically under $20, and with my senior pass, less than that.

I travel with full fresh water tank, can get on for a long time without electrical hookup, just using solar and/or the generator to keep my one battery charged. We don't use microwave, AC, television... we don't drink coffee and my wife heats water for tea on the stove, we make toast on the stove. We have sleeping bags when it gets too cold, so we don't even use the furnace except to break the chill on a cold morning. Our most consistent LP and power draw is the fridge. I can live with that.
Rick
2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 3.5 EB
2017 Jay Feather X213

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
We just do a lot more boondocking. I think it is crazy to pay $65 or more a night for a rv space at a CG when in the same area you can get a nice hotel room for the same price or most of the time even less. So we just find legal boondocking, plus most of the time it is in far more beautiful settings. Usually only hit those CG's when I need to dump my tanks and refill my water tank.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Not affecting me. I prefer fed, state and county campgrounds.

Ditto

We avoid "resorts" and especially KOAs.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
IBcarguy wrote:
I'm not happy about the increases but won't let it stop me from going to the places we like. I bought this rig to use. I have too big of an investment in my truck, trailer, insurance, and storage to just let it sit there unused. We might have to BBQ hot dogs instead of steaks...but we're going!

Well said! Maybe if I full timed and were on a fixed income I'd be more concerned.
But as a weekend warrior,time is more a factor than money. I can afford to go, however I cannot find the time to go.
Nevertheless I go quite a lot but still not as much as I'd like to.
I also have too much invested to let it sit over CG rates.
The only way to get value out of any RV is to use it to the fullest.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
Eh..... I just pay it.

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not happy about the increases but won't let it stop me from going to the places we like. I bought this rig to use. I have too big of an investment in my truck, trailer, insurance, and storage to just let it sit there unused. We might have to BBQ hot dogs instead of steaks...but we're going!

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
not really effecting us at all

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck_thehammer wrote:
spring break.. funny.. that is what some of the Texas hill country CG's are saying. for a must have reservation.....

what collage age kid is going the Texas hill country in March???????

A lot of families go to the Hill Country during spring break, but when I got into hosting at NPS and TX SP campgrounds I was surprised to find that a lot of college students spend their spring break camping.

Big Bend NP is an extremely popular destination.

Over Memorial Day weekend in 2014, we had close to 200 college kids in the Chisos Basin CG at Big Bend.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We prefer federal, state, county, and municipal parks when available where we want to be. We also use our RV club (Escapees) owned parks when convenient, and especially for month long stays at less than $20/night. We usually only hit commercial parks for an occasional night or two while in transit between destinations. As for reservations, we've found in recent years that they're a must for longer stays, especially during peak RV'ing times in a given area, and where site choice is important to us. We're currently at a state park in Florida, and as the 11 month reservation windows at FL state parks we want to visit open up, we're making our reservations for next year. We also have a reservation in place for a NY state park for the 4th of July week, and a Georgia state park for next winter. We've really enjoyed just winging it in the past, but as park demand has increased due to lower fuel prices and the improved economy, that no longer works well everywhere, especially for longer stays.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
spring break.. funny.. that is what some of the Texas hill country CG's are saying. for a must have reservation.....

what collage age kid is going the Texas hill country in March???????