cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do I know I have enough room to back down driveway?

Daedalus
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

I would like to get into RV'ing and UTVs, and am starting to look for a 5th wheel/gooseneck toy hauler. I've done some searches but want to confirm if I would have any issues being able to back a trailer down my driveway (other than a complete absence of skill).

This is a diagram of my street/house. I live in the orange house, with the driveway to the left of it. Not to scale, obviously.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/OMTNOb6OFKyUUJf93

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but if I had a 35' gooseneck hitched to a fair-sized truck, say a 2500 or 3500, would it be fairly straightforward getting the trailer down the driveway?

I am thinking I would drive past the driveway from right to left, then back in, swinging the trailer around the telephone pole. The overhang would pass over the yard, hopefully without taking out the bushes, though I guess that would be negotiable. The telephone pole, walls and house are not negotiable, of course.

Is this a no-brainer, or is there some kind of tool/resource to help determine how much room you need to back down a certain type/size of trailer hitched to a certain size truck?

Thank you!
21 REPLIES 21

73guna
Explorer
Explorer
You'll have plenty of space to make that back.
Out of curiosity I measured my driveway and street width.
The street is 23' wide and my drive is 17' wide.
My truck + TT length is approximately 55' and I can navigate that easily without hitting the curb on the opposing side of the street. (most of the time :))
You are correct in your approach, coming from the right to left. Back down the center of the street aiming the left side of trailer to get close to the pole.
Trailer tires will be a pivot point.
Be conscious of tail swing.
Ive backed tens of thousands of trailers up and all I can say is practice, practice, practice.
You'll develop a sixth sense as to where the trailer tail is the more you back.
In trucking we have a saying, Get Out And Look, G.O.A.L. if in doubt.

Here is a video of me bringing home our new trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c83uiWrOZy8
(I dont know how to get the vid to direct link, so you'll have to copy and paste)
The dimensions of my back are a bit different from yours but with a wider street and 9' of sidewalks you'll have plenty of space.
2007 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Duramax.
2016 Wildwood 31qbts.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is how I would do it.
1. Approach from left side of street.
2. When truck is about 1/3 way past driveway, cut to right to opposite side of street. Don't make cut as sharp as I have drawn, make it gradual so the trailer follows nicely.
3. When you get to opposite side cut back to left side of street all the way across or until back of trailer is pointed towards the opening of the driveway.
4. Start backing and follow the trailer with your truck until you are in the driveway. Watch front of truck swing so it doesn't hit anything.
5. If necessary, (probably not necessary after some practice), pull forward into driveway across street to straighten out and then continue backing into your spot. This whole maneuver will be more spread out than it looks in the picture. Extend it more to the left than drawn.

All this takes practice and will come much easier as you do it. Have a helper to watch for the other side. Watch your tires as you back so you can see where they are going to go. Try to visualize their track and make them go where you want to go. Use your mirrors!
Good luck.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
I went from a 21 foot travel trailer to a 32 foot travel traier.. both had twin axles.

YES, longer trailer are more controllable. going backwards

keep an EYE on forward and rearward side edges to spot direction changes.
just like using a rifle for aiming. if that helps.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Daedalus wrote:

The picture cuts off at the bottom, but the driveway actually goes back about 200'.

Would it be possible to pull it in forward.....then turn it around and pull it OUT forward too ??

Some people get the hang of good backing technique after a little practice; others never seem to get it. Hope you are in the former group.

I think the only people who would really say that backing a BIG trailer is easier than a short one would be semi-truck drivers.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
On dry days you could back across the front yard to make it a easier.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know the exact answer to your question. On paper it looks like you have plenty of room once you get the hang of maneuvering the thing. I will say that practice will indeed make perfect. I moved into a new house the end of 2015. I waited several months before bringing my motorhome to the new house because I was terrified of parking it there. The driveway is almost 500 feet long, it's steep, and the turnaround area at the top is pretty much the same size as the motorhome squared (like a 30x30' square). I have enough property to park it, but I need to get it turned around at the top.

The first time was terrifying - I got it to the top, nosed up against the end of the driveway and then came the "now what?" moment. Well after a lot of maneuvering I got it into its spot.

Fast forward to today, I can drive up and swing it in its spot in one turn. It's tight, but it gets easier every time.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
It's generally easier to back up to your left, rather than on "the blind side". And in your situation that keeps the pole where you can see it.

What he said. I think when you go to do this, you're going to find it's a lot easier than you anticipate. Just take your time and you'll be fine.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
It's generally easier to back up to your left, rather than on "the blind side". And in your situation that keeps the pole where you can see it.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Daedalus
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like some folks think right to left is best, and some think left to right is best, and that's probably a good thing. And everyone thinks it's doable, which is the most important part.

To answer some questions/concerns, I have great neighbors, and I'm sure they wouldn't mind me pulling into their driveway a bit.

The picture cuts off at the bottom, but the driveway actually goes back about 200'. Parking would be next to a detached shop. I know the previous owner had a large ~35' RV back there, but I am worried that a truck/trailer combo would be much more difficult to back down.

Power lines I think are well clear on a high mast, but I will double check.

The street is pretty quiet with not a lot of traffic. As for cars parked, I can either ask my neighbors to move them, or I can plan to move the trailer in and out on street sweeping day, when the street is clear. And often there aren't any parked to the left of my neighbor's driveway across the street.

I do have a 16' flatbed that I've backed down the driveway. That was painful enough, but as many have said, I need a lot more practice. I've read on here that large trailers are easier than short trailers. Hopefully that's true.

Thanks again! This site is a great resource for a greenhorn like me. Hope to be a more regular poster in the near future.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
using cardboard....

make a scaled layout of area
make a scaled pickup and trailer .. and a stick pin for 5th hitch pin...

practice till you have a good plan in your head.. then do it.

overthinking might be a problem .

Stay Safe.. measure twice,,, cut once ๐Ÿ™‚

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
cbshoestring wrote:
MFL wrote:
You are right to be concerned, as this is not the best backing situation, especially for a beginner.

Jerry

I respectfully disagree.

A 30 wide street, a 14 wide driveway and plenty of room for overhang to swing. I would venture to say the majority on this forum would love that much space. Unless that street is full...this is almost ideal backing conditions

When's the last time you seen that much space backing into a campsite?

The OP's lack of experience is the only thing that makes backing into that driveway challenging.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
You are right to be concerned, as this is not the best backing situation, especially for a beginner.

Jerry

I respectfully disagree.

A 30 wide street, a 14 wide driveway and plenty of room for overhang to swing. I would venture to say the majority on this forum would love that much space.

When's the last time you seen that much space backing into a campsite?

The OP's lack of experience is the only thing that makes backing into that driveway challenging.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
As a newbie, I am sure the task looks daunting. Reality is, you actually have more than double the space needed to back in. Providing, of course, that street isn't full of vehicles.

Learn all you can about backing. Get some help from an experienced person if you can. Practice, practice, practice.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
R to L on wrong side of the street...go past more than you think you need. Back in hugging the pole. I do not see a problem with a spotter you can communicate with.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...