cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you pick the RV Parks you stay in ...

steve_sheldon
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Guys,

This is probably a silly question but how do you pick the RV parks you choose to stay in while on the road?

There are so many websites I am never quite sure which to look at? Is there a particular IPhone application any of you use?

Save Travels,
Steve
2011 Jayco Eagle 298
2008 Ford F350 King Ranch Diesel
44 REPLIES 44

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
You might try this website. I've found it to be fairly accurate.

www.rvparkreviews.com

If you want a Good Sam park, go here:

www.goodsamclub.com/travel
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
We like National/State/BLM/County sites so when we decide where to head we check out any of those first.
RVReview works for us

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
We use recreation.gov to locate COE parks if there are any in the area we'll be visiting. If you're 62 you can get the sites for 1/2 price with the America the Beautiful Senior Pass. See info hereabout how to obtain.
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
daverich wrote:
I first look on Passport America's site and then go to RVparkreviews.com.

If I still have questions, which I normally do not, I ask here.

The same - only about 60% of the time I come here also ...
Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma Marji, and Grandpa
2008 Suburban / 2004 Alpenlite TT(FT)

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
I determine where I want to go and then use RV Park Reviews.com to narrow down the campground options. Sometimes you're boxed in by dates or towns for camping due to the reasons your going there, but I always read or look at any available photos, including Google Maps.com, as much as I can before settling on a campground.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
On the road, on familiar routes we plan our trips to stop at the places we already know and like.

In a new area, we'll look at places a couple hours forward in the Trailer Life directory, but often just stop at someplace we spot along the way. My experience is maybe a third of the RV parks out there are not in anybody's directory, but that's not the whole country, just the middle. So the criterion is essentially "it's here, I'm here, and I'm ready to stop for the day." It is just a few hours, to hook up power and sleep, I'm not fussy.

For destination camping, several days stay, might refer to RV Park Reviews, but much of my destination camping is not in RV parks, rather at public campgrounds on lakes and reservoirs, or state parks at historical sites. Ambience is usually quite different from RV parks.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

jtbr3
Explorer
Explorer
tripadvisor iphone appl.
08 Four Winds Chateau Kodiak 34H

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Since we fulltime and most of our travel is between volunteer positions and our preference even for overnites is minimal we just look at a map and what state parks are on route and within our daily driving range 200-250. Then check the SP's website for site size, amps and whether they have pull throughs then check rvparksreviews for unbiased info. We usually travel S-F so never worry about reservations.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
Google Earth, here. I like big sites with lots of trees and privacy on loops that aren't likely to have a lot of car traffic so that the kids can bike safely. I don't need any hookups.

We almost never, given the choice, stay at private campgrounds because they rarely allow one to reserve a specific site in advance and tend to have much smaller, less private, sites.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer CG's that aren't just "parking lots". As such, I'll research a site on the 'web, and look at on Google earth. Website photos are sometimes helpful, but you need to realize they are usually taken of the best parts of the CG only. Reading reviews on Google is also helpful, but again you must take these with a grain of salt! Price plays a lesser role in my choice, although I'll always avoid KOA's due to their exorbitant rates. Here in Western Canada, I will most often choose a Provincial Park campground, as they are uncrowded, have lots of trees and space between rigs, have reservable sites and reasonable prices.
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
I use RVparkreviews.com. I'm a little OCD when it comes to picking my RV parks so I put them in a spreadsheet on my computer and then insert the last 10 customer reviews and average them. I then input the nightly rate from the last 10 visitors and average that. I sort them by average rating picking the top 3 or 4. Then I look at the nightly rate of those top 3 or 4 and see what I am willing to pay. Once I settle on 1 or 2 based on reviews and rate I then read between 5-10 reviews. If I like what I read then that's the one I pick. If I don't like what I read then I move on to a different one. One thing I have found is that you have to take some reviews with a grain of salt. Some reviews are just sour grapes from people that are naturally grumpy. Use you own judgement. This method has served me well and helped me to pick four amazing camp site and/or RV parks on a trip from Kansas to California.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

revump
Explorer
Explorer
Do they have a hot tub, wifi, and cost
Bob

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
My first stop when looking for a park in any area is always RV Park Reviews.

Same here
pawatt

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
My first stop when looking for a park in any area is always RV Park Reviews.

Ditto
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56