cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How fast do you go

SoonerWing03
Explorer
Explorer
When Towing on a highway where the speed limit is 70 MPH, how fast do you go?
96 REPLIES 96

Frostbitte
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in Canada so I do the posted limit up to 110 KM/H which is about 68 MPH. Secondary highways are only 100 KM/h. I only go faster temporarily to pass if I need to. If someone's doing 108 in a 110 zone, I'll just stick with that. I try not to exceed this as after that it hurts fuel economy and the road is usually crowded so sometimes even less. I can stay just under 2000 RPM's at 110 even while towing. 100 KM/H seems to be the sweet spot though. I try to not be in a hurry. I'd rather get there all in one piece.
2011 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4 6.7 Cummins 6-speed Auto 4.10
2004 Prowler 275 CKS (Sold)
2014 Sabre 36QBOK-7 5th wheel
2016 Forest River 8 x 20 Cargo Trailer

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
65 mph max. due to the ST tire rating plus the fact that beyond 65 just doesn't feel comfortable. I treat 65 like the redline in an engine and use the GPS as the speedo for better accuracy. I used to car race back in my youth and have the truck and TT set up for optimal handling and zero sway and could easily go much faster but have NO interest. I set the CC for 65 and enjoy the ride. When we install new Endurance tires, I'll still stay at 65 max.

I'm used to doing 65 in WA, OR & CA but when we went to Utah, I couldn't believe how much 65 makes you feel like you're standing still compared to everyone else (limit is 80). Had a long FW towing a long boat pass fly past us at some crazy speed. This is a photo of a truck pulling a flatdeck trailer with a very wide load passing us doing waay above 65. He was even moving over onto the shoulder to get past slower vehicles in the right lane. Insane!

jdealcpa
Explorer
Explorer
I stay at 62. DW usually 65. In towns I stay in middle lane to avoid traffic entering or exiting hiway. Usually get a few one finger high signs, but I try to be friendly. DW does the same just at higher speeds.. she doesnโ€™t make as many friends.

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
Set the cruise on 65, no faster.

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
People driving crowded east coast roads may have different responses than those driving open interstates out west.

In Idaho with speed limit 80 mph in perfect weather and long straight stretches I felt safe at 75 mph. Mostly I tow around 65 on interstates. Leave lots of room in front of me. Have a lot of truck. On smaller roads I go proportionally slower.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is right from GY's introduction of the ENDURANCE Tire.

"The Endurance is available in Load Ranges D and E to accommodate larger load capacities, according to Goodyear. It also has a speed rating of N (87 mph), which is considerably higher than the usual trailer tire speed rating of L (75 mph), according to Mr. Pulte."
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Busdriver
Explorer II
Explorer II
Usually 65

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

jrhanbar98
Explorer
Explorer
I try and drive the speed limit up to 70mph. Experience has taught me people try and do dumb things when passing a Truck TT combo. Rig feels solid so the fewer people passing me the better.

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
There isn't a government maximum speed rating for tires. The government mandates that tires have a speed rating, but not what that speed rating must be. The actual speed rating for any given tire is up to the manufacturer.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
GordonThree wrote:

Where is the speed listed officially? I have the endurance too but I guess assumed the ST rating meant they follow the 65 mph government rating

What "government rating" of 65 are you referencing? I've never heard of any such rating or limitation...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I usually do about 68mph. Much above that and my fuel economy takes a serious dive. I get about 12-13 towing a 9500 loaded trailer down the relatively flat eastern US highways.

Occasionally I'll speed up to 70 or 71 to pass a big rig, then I'll settle back down to 68. Tires are LRE rated to 87, the factory tires were LRD and rated to 75.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
I try (really hard) to run a maximum of 65. And, have โ€œneverโ€ been over 105! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
furballs wrote:
I went to the trouble of changing the trailer tires to Endurances specifically so as to not be limited to 65.

Where is the speed listed officially? I have the endurance too but I guess assumed the ST rating meant they follow the 65 mph government rating

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/endurance/sizes-specs

Mine are "N" speed rated which is 87 mph. I run the 235/85R16 size.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
I try for a steady 65mph on interstates but let it drop to 60mph on small hills. On steeper or long hills, I try to keep it at 55mph. My TV is a bit underpowered for the TT weight, even though the TT is somewhat below max tow rating. I get best mileage on local country roads 45-55 mph.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,