cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How often do you dump

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
Our routine has been travel, stay for or five days dump and travel again and repeat the above. Latter this summer it looks like we will be traveling every day or two. So how often do you dump your black water tank.
27 REPLIES 27

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
Black tank? Dump? Is this something I need to know? :B
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
DianneOK wrote:
We have a truck camper with small tanks. Black and grey 30, fresh 35. We were fulltimers for 9 years and learned how to manage the tanks.

We just finished a 9 day trip. We showered every day and used outside toilets only a few times. Dishes were done every day. By day 8 we were able to dump, and still had grey, black space left and some fresh water. So for us, dumping weekly would be very easy.

Last year I stayed here in NY for over 2 months without a water hook up in my Jayco (fresh water capacity listed as 53 gallons including water heater) but I used the neighbors water connection to fill up once.

I will not be staying here as long this time (about a month) but I am using a lot of paper plates and plastic spoons, no showers, just a quick wet down, followed by a soapy wash cloth (water turned off) then a quick rinse off. I am using bottled water for the dogs and myself to drink.
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
when at least 1/2 full and when I return from a trip. I also fill the tank with water and flush it before I leave on a trip.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
We have a truck camper with small tanks. Black and grey 30, fresh 35. We were fulltimers for 9 years and learned how to manage the tanks.

We just finished a 9 day trip. We showered every day and used outside toilets only a few times. Dishes were done every day. By day 8 we were able to dump, and still had grey, black space left and some fresh water. So for us, dumping weekly would be very easy.
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes you may not have another chance to dump for a long time. The last time I dumped at a campground on Friday of memorial day weekend, from there I stayed in the parking lot of a Camping World parking lot with electric but no dump area, I arrived in NY last Tuesday morning and parked in the driveway of a house I am clearing out and selling. The house has been winterized, water turned off house toilets not useable with electric hookup available. I will be here for at least another week, if I came here 1/2 full I would be in trouble soon.

If you are worried that a near empty black tank will not dump properly just fill it up with water
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our understanding is that your tank should be at least 2/3 full before dumping as you need the pressure from the larger release to properly empty the tank. We dump when the tank is full. When we travel, we plan at least every 3rd day to have hookups or a dump station so we can empty the grey. The black tank is usually full every 2nd dump.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Jloucks wrote:
Yea, another vote for on the way out of the site.

If we only stay a night ill run a few gallons of extra water into the tank before dumping.

YUP! I dump every time I am near a sewer connection and add water to it also if it is below half. This is a perfect time to add the water to help clean out the crude in the black tank by adding plain water. No fuss no muss and dump. I just open my bathroom sink faucets and top of the black tank with water and dump.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
Once a day. Sometimes more often after DW's chilli.

Oh wait, wrong dump.

At the end of the trip or when the tank is full, whichever occurs first.
One beautiful wife -Trooper and Doc the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 Flatbed with 2013 Chalet TS116 http://www.brittanynews.us

Jloucks
Explorer
Explorer
Yea, another vote for on the way out of the site.

If we only stay a night ill run a few gallons of extra water into the tank before dumping.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
camperpaul wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

When I have full hookups I dump. So like once a day or every other day.

If you don't have your tank at least 2/3 full, you will only be dumping the liquid. The solids will remain in the tank.

I must have a pretty big tank then. I have been doing it this way for over 30 years and it's still not full yet. :B
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Chuck_Gail
Explorer
Explorer
ata3001 wrote:
I feel no attachment to my cr@p, so every time I leave a campsite. I ain't hauling around my cr@p.

We agree. In over 100,000 miles this has caused us no problems, despite what some say. And we often stay only one day.
Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded

Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories

I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
grizz272 wrote:
So how often do you dump your black water tank?

When needed or when full and most convenient.
We try to not travel with much toxic residual in the tank.

Do our best to keep the tank cleaned out.

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
One average every 2 days since we always have the same number traveling in the MH. I have it worked out pretty well so we have no issues. :W

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
Wow I did not expect 2 pages this quickly. I was kind of surprised how many dump asap.