cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to carry blackstone griddle

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
I’m asking how do you wrap/store/contain the greasy top when you pack up to move on. I bought the 2 burner and wish now I’d gone with the smaller unit.
25 REPLIES 25

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
It should be a grease coating to protect the top from rust. I have the 22" black stone. The griddle top flips over, I place the cover on that, then place in the blackstone griddle carrying bag.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

dedmiston
fj12ryder wrote:
we travel with a portable smoker too. 🙂

What did we used to do before these came out? I can't imagine not having one.

We've had quite an evolution of smokers in our family:

* Electric kettle smoker: Fun, but useless.

* Medium sized Traeger. Loved it, but carelessly burned it to a crisp on my birthday a few years ago when my wife distracted me with a surprise party. My fault, but she gets the assist.

* Green Mountain Grill's Davy Crockett: The day after my ill-fated birthday conflagration, I took the Barbecues Galore gift card my mom gave me and tried to shop for a bigger/better replacement Traeger. They don't sell Traegers, but they had this cute little GMG travel smoker. I bought it and instantly fell in love with it. Dragged it around with us to 19 states within a few months and decided that I was a convert to the brand.

* Resurrected Traeger: I got the parts to fix it, because the little Davy Crockett wasn't big enough.

* GMG Jim Bowie: The following birthday, my wife told me to make a big wish and ask for anything I wanted. I told her I've been drooling over the behemoth Jim Bowie, so she surprised me and got it. Best gift ever. I've never stopped thanking her.

The Davy Crocket lives permanently in our RV and only comes home if we're having a huge cook. The resurrected Traeger is the backup unit at home. Being able to smoke two different foods at two different temps on two smokers is pretty much why the terrorists hate us so much.

Sorry for the hijack. This thread made me hungry.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
JimK-NY wrote:
Michelle.S wrote:
I leave it in the Store.

I agree. I have never had a griddle for use at home, why would I carry one in my RV?
My thoughts exactly...until I got one for my birthday. If you don't cook, then it's a waste of money, but if you like to cook and like deep flavors, then the griddle is a great option. We liked it so much at home that we got one to travel with. But, then again, we travel with a portable smoker too. 🙂
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
afidel wrote:
I clean my 22" with water and flip it over so the cooking surface is facing the burners, keeps them and everything else in the passthrough clean. No carrying bag for me, that's too much like work 😃

A bag allows you to store stuff on top of the griddle. It also allows you to store the blacksone vertically.
Lastly a bag contains any smells which may attract the mice and other critters in the area.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
I clean my 22" with water and flip it over so the cooking surface is facing the burners, keeps them and everything else in the passthrough clean. No carrying bag for me, that's too much like work 😃
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 17 inch. I clean it hot with water and scraper, throw out the aluminum insert for the grease cup and wipe it down, when cool. I cover it with wax paper and have a piece of double wall cardboard cut from a box that is a snug fit and put it in on top of the wax paper, flip the top over onto the base like you are expected to and I have a plastic container that is about the right height and somewhat larger. I keep the accessories in the container. Container was surplus from an auto factory where a specific part was put in it, multiples in cardboard divider inserts, I threw the dividers. All goes in the back of the truck (with LEER topper). Don't actually get to use it much because my travel buddy and his wife have one and they usually do all the cooking.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like some people aren’t flipping the griddle over before storing it? That solves worrying about getting grease inside the bag.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5”box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
dodge guy wrote:
My small one 17” goes back in the box it came in. I wish I would’ve gotten the 22”. The single control knob is terrible, rather have the dual control of the 22”.

I originally had a 17" model. It worked OK, however on cold/cool mornings it struggled to get/stay hot, especially if there was a breeze.
The 22" model does not struggle in cooler conditions
I sold the 17" model to a buddy and purchased a 22".
I have been totally happy with the 22"
Correct Trax,Splendide

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh, gotcha. Mine came with a lid so I just give a light spray of cooking oil and close the lid. I might suggest a piece of cardboard (maybe a pizza box) that fits over top to keep it from rubbing your bag.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
My small one 17” goes back in the box it came in. I wish I would’ve gotten the 22”. The single control knob is terrible, rather have the dual control of the 22”.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Walaby wrote:
I've been keeping mine in the carry bag for several years now with no negative effect. yes, I have the slight tacky residue but it hasn't transferred over to the carry bag.

Whatever works though

Mike

I also keep my entire unit with lid in a storage with no ill effects.
While the interior of my bag is not greasy, the idea is for the bag to contain the grease vs. having grease everywhere.
So if my bag were to be a bit sticky, who cares that is the whole point of the bag!
If you heat scrape aclean with water keep the unit clean is not a big deal.
Correct Trax,Splendide

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been keeping mine in the carry bag for several years now with no negative effect. yes, I have the slight tacky residue but it hasn't transferred over to the carry bag.

Whatever works though

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me too, that's why I store the griddle separate from the rest of the parts.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
OP again. No, I’m not talking about “gobs of grease”,just that tacky residue when you lightly apply when time to store. I currently keep it in a large black plastic garbage bag. I’m afraid that if I put it uncovered in the blackstone carry bag, it wouldn’t take long for the inside to get nasty as well.