cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to know when Leak is fixed???

MJO21
Explorer
Explorer
I had a leak in my roof, but only once did I find water in the camper. I found a slit in the roof near the antenna and Dicored it in. Since then I have not found any water in the camper.

Does this mean that I found the leak???

At the time of the leak the vinyl liner was sagging off the board it is glued to. Since then the vinyl is sagging/separating way worse. Is the continued sagging a sign of there still being a leak or a sign that I fixed the leak and the moisture is not trapped in the ceiling?
7 REPLIES 7

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, a big opening will allow more air to escape. Regardless, if the interior pressure is raised to .5 inches of air column, you will see bubbles when you spray the soapy water on the exterior.

You're free to tape up any and all air escape routes, it makes it easier to raise the interior pressure.

What I now do is cover the roof vents from inside, put stoppers in the sink and shower, but I don't fuss with the heater flue. That is a 3" pipe and is open to the exterior. I'm able to raise the pressure beyond 1" of water column so no other methods of sealing are necessary. There is a lot of air coming out the door opening when closed as it is a poorly fitted door. I have plans to make that better.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

MJO21
Explorer
Explorer
Correct...but won't the air pressure find the easiest way out? Doors, windows, and hatches would seem easier than a leak I can't see with my eyes?

westend
Explorer
Explorer
MJO21 wrote:
I put a dehumidifier in the camper for now. I have taken out 2gal of water in 2 days. The toof liner has tightened up considerable. I am planning on trying a pressure test when I have some free time. Concern with pressure test/same with the dehumidifier will be that it is an old super light feather light model and I think I will need to duct tape every window and external access door.
If your test blower moves enough air, any leaking through doors or windows won't matter. Your avoidance mechanisms are showing.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

MJO21
Explorer
Explorer
I put a dehumidifier in the camper for now. I have taken out 2gal of water in 2 days. The toof liner has tightened up considerable. I am planning on trying a pressure test when I have some free time. Concern with pressure test/same with the dehumidifier will be that it is an old super light feather light model and I think I will need to duct tape every window and external access door.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Do it yourself RV Pressure Test.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
An interior air-pressurized leak test will find any and all existing leaks. It's not that expensive to have done by Sealtech or an owner can DIY with an adequate blower. Either process is a lot cheaper than repairing a hidden leak and it's consequential damage.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Impossible to say since it's damaged goods. It may not have ever dried out which means you may also have mold.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob