cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to power a 2-way refer while driving?

MartyG2
Explorer
Explorer
The refer that came with our new travel trailer is a two-way, i.e. propane and 120VAC. No ability to run it on 12VDC. Do I dare run it on propane while traveling? Or does one just keep it shut for the day's drive and hope that things stay cool?
61 REPLIES 61

go_wild
Explorer
Explorer
billkaufmann wrote:
darsben wrote:
Run it on propane

X2

X3
2007 Jeep Commander 4X4 HEMI
2010 Jayco 17Z

billkaufmann
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:
Run it on propane

X2

GMT830
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
I've never liked or enjoyed carrying an ice chest and ice/blocks to use in it. That is one of the things I like about a 5th wheel: a refrigerator! blah blah blah.....

My TT has a fridge, like most TTs. I'm guessing most MHs also have a fridge.
Lena - 02 Yukon XL Denali
TT - Wilderness 29L

paddywanpeep
Explorer
Explorer
What many here fail to consider is the two much larger flames of the water heater and furnace.

Nobody really travels with those on

Our frig works well, does not need to run all day to stay cold

Neither does my house fridge but it still stays plugged in all the time

If yours does not it needs repair or perhaps a trip to the owners manualis in order.

Good idea because they are highly complex to operate being as they have that whole on/off button thing going on.

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
The topic was using LP underway and the risks therein. What many here fail to consider is the two much larger flames of the water heater and furnace. Lots of newbies here who might just benefit from this discussion. If an ice chest doesn't work for you fine but it might just be an option for others. Our frig works well, does not need to run all day to stay cold. If yours does not it needs repair or perhaps a trip to the owners manualis in order. This Forum is made up of opinions and if you don't care for mine feel free to not read them.

As always... Opinions and YMMV

:C

bobx2
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
A flame is a flame and any open fkame at a gas station is ilegal... But those pesky laws are just for other people, right? :S

The flame in a refer is small and tucked way up inside the rig but,the flame generated by ignition on a water heater or furnace is huge and they are usually mere inches from the side of the RV. Before we leave anywhere the water heater and furnace are shut down EVERYTIME!

Since we know how to operate our frig and it works properly there is simply no reason to run it while underway. Everything stays cold because we stay out of it and we always use a large ice chest for drinks to generate more space in tbe frig. I just rotate fresh frozen Blue Ice blocks in every morning, this keeps teens and racoons out of my beer as well.

Don't believe that water heaters and/or furnaces are the topic here. I have a fridge and use it so I don't have to lug ice chests, ice blocks or any of that other excessive stuff along.
"Since we know how to operate our frig and it works properly"
What kind of a dumb statement is that???
Becky, Bob, Taylie and Bode
2009 Silverado Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring - Mine
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring - Wifes

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
I also run it on propane, but there is a percentage of RV`ers out there that have had the fridge start on fire when on propane.

I'd guess that "percentage" to be vanishingly small if measurable at all, especially for recent years. Improvements now required on portable cylinders have greratly improved safety, especially those that shut down propane flow in the event of a sudden surge as would be caused by line rupture or fire.

It may interest you to know that nearly all of the fires associated with the notorious Norcold recall units were electrical in nature; in most cases if propane wound up being involved at all, it was as a "bleve" reaction wherein the tank flares off due to having been superheated by the surrounding (non-propane-fueled) flames.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also run it on propane, but there is a percentage of RV`ers out there that have had the fridge start on fire when on propane. when I get the chance I`m going install my old 1200W inverter to run the fridge off of. did this with my 05 Cherokee for 2 weeks on the road. never had an issue with it draining the battery while driving. when I got to my destination I just unplugged it from the inverter and plugged it back into the trailer when it got plugged in.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've never liked or enjoyed carrying an ice chest and ice/blocks to use in it. That is one of the things I like about a 5th wheel: a refrigerator! No ice chests, no melting ice, no blue blocks to mess with, no milk jugs to fill and freeze. None of that and won't go back.

Our propane goes on when we pull out of the driveway and gets turned off when we pull back into it. It stays on "Auto" the whole time. Never an issue and don't intend to do it any other way.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
ya. thanks for that.
ugh.

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
A flame is a flame and any open fkame at a gas station is ilegal... But those pesky laws are just for other people, right? :S

The flame in a refer is small and tucked way up inside the rig but,the flame generated by ignition on a water heater or furnace is huge and they are usually mere inches from the side of the RV. Before we leave anywhere the water heater and furnace are shut down EVERYTIME!

Since we know how to operate our frig and it works properly there is simply no reason to run it while underway. Everything stays cold because we stay out of it and we always use a large ice chest for drinks to generate more space in tbe frig. I just rotate fresh frozen Blue Ice blocks in every morning, this keeps teens and racoons out of my beer as well.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Many people camp with their propane on...many of those people sit right next to you, just feet away. They could have a leak. Bad things can happen.

If your RV's propane system is functioning correctly, then you can use it going down the road.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

MartyG2
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, a lot of insight in just 7 day's posts. Definitely two sides of this issue! You've answered my question, I'll stay cool and on propane. Will plan on shutoff/relight at fuel stop. Thanks everyone!

chapelt
Explorer
Explorer
I run my frig on 120v at home for 24 hrs before leaving. It stays cold for a long time.