cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to power a 2-way refer while driving?

MartyG2
Explorer
Explorer
The refer that came with our new travel trailer is a two-way, i.e. propane and 120VAC. No ability to run it on 12VDC. Do I dare run it on propane while traveling? Or does one just keep it shut for the day's drive and hope that things stay cool?
61 REPLIES 61

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
wwest wrote:
Buy a cheap Harbor Freight 400W MSW inverter.

When I had a TT I tried this. After about 4-5 hours the battery was drained to the point that the inverter shut off. After this happened a few times I gave up and have been running on propane ever since.

Well, maybe it wasn't a cheap Harbor Freight inverter.:h
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

DaveG39
Explorer
Explorer
Just remember to shut it off before you pull into a gas station so flame will not ignite gasoline fumes present around the gas pump. Then remember to turn it back on when you leave (I have forgotten this step before).
2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Downtheroad, sorry for your loss! LOL
I also as many others run the refer on propane while on the road. There are few places where you need to turn it off. One for sure is Washington State Ferries. I know the east coast has several tunnels where they need to be off. In the big picture not many locations were you need to have off.
I have thought of running the furnace when heading to the coast in winter to take the chill out before we arrive. Maybe set to about 55 degrees.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

wwest
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a cheap Harbor Freight 400W MSW inverter.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Down the road needs to learn hot to maintain a fridge.. i run mine on propeane often, In fact the site I'm on just now 30 amp power is .... not all that good, turns out the 350 watts of the Fridge is enough to push it over the edge so I have it locked on propane.

Many run it on propane. I will tell you way in a bit
Some install big inverters, I tried it but found the alternator, by the time you figure in the wire run to the house batteries, NOT ENOUGH though it might be today (may try it sometime)

you can go like 8 hours, door closed, with the Fridge turned off no problem.

Fact: When I took the RV safe driving course (AEON sponsored) They told me to always turn off Propane at the tank.. They are worried about a propane line break and fire in the case of an accident.. I'm not.

The reasons is multi-fold. First it not very likely to happen in any case,, And there are safety devices in the Propane system which SHOULD greatly lessen the danger anyway (Excess flow detectors).

Now: I want you to imagine two scenaros.

1: You are parked at a FMCA rally, rigs packed in like sardines, and see DownTheRoad's photo above happens due to poor maintenance on the fridge. Not only is your rig toast, but the half million or so Prevost next to you and the one next to it and the one on the other side and....

2: You are going down the road and the rig catches fire, That half million dollar ride passes you on the OTHER SIDE and his partner holds up a hand letterd sign while he honks his horn YOU ARE ON FIRE.. you check your mirrors, see the smoke, hit the shoulder and bail out.. your rig is still toast.. His is not even smoke damaged. your insurance pays for your rig, And you get a new one at the rally (The nice guy in the provost pulls over 200 yards in front of you so as to give you a ride)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
We run our 2-way refer on propane while driving. No problems.

I do turn it off, for safety, when we stop for gas.
Maybe it's not necessary but, it makes me feel better. ๐Ÿ™‚

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Run it on Propane and Propane accessories!
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

MartyG2
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all. I've just read Google responses also, and they reflect your opinions as well. Most say go ahead, but there are the naysayers also. The last response answered my unasked question of why there are both 2-ways and 3-ways. I've always thought electric heating elements were inferior to a flame for boiling ammonia. Thanks!

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
This is what happened to me the last time I ran our frig. on propane.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

oldchief7155
Explorer
Explorer
Just turn it off when you fill your tow vehicle gasoline tank and then relight it when done fueling.

ryanw821
Explorer
Explorer
There's a few places where you can't legally drive with propane on, like many tunnels, but on the whole, yes, run it on propane down the road, just be aware of local laws.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
hmknightnc wrote:
Dare to run it on propane? Your kidding right?

Running on propane down the road is exactly what it is designed to do

Too true-

Reason the 12v option has been eliminated is that it works just fine on propane, and too many folks let the tug battery drain dry when stopped and running off 12v.

Brace yerself now, though, O.P....eleventy-bazillion people are probably about to "inform you" that if you use the propane option while driving you're doomed. :R
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

hmknightnc
Explorer
Explorer
Dare to run it on propane? Your kidding right?

Running on propane down the road is exactly what it is designed to do

GMT830
Explorer
Explorer
If you're driving all day you'll need to run it. I've made three hour trips without running it and everything stayed very cool even in very warm weather.
Lena - 02 Yukon XL Denali
TT - Wilderness 29L