cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to power a 2-way refer while driving?

MartyG2
Explorer
Explorer
The refer that came with our new travel trailer is a two-way, i.e. propane and 120VAC. No ability to run it on 12VDC. Do I dare run it on propane while traveling? Or does one just keep it shut for the day's drive and hope that things stay cool?
61 REPLIES 61

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
we run the refer in the Auto mode. 12V when the Alt is putting out, propane when ign. off and shore power when connected. I do sometimes force it to Propane and give the Alternator a break. When I turn the Ignition off the refer goes into an automatic 20 Min shutdown before refiring.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

ryanw821
Explorer
Explorer
bobx2 wrote:
Mine stays on. Yes, even when refueling. Long ways from the fuel nozzle to the refrigerator. Not going to be a problem.

Might be right next to someone else who's refueling though, also while I can't speak to Colorado, in Minnesota I could be ticketed for not shutting mine off while refueling, though I'm sure this is NEVER enforced, I still error on side of caution and safety, doesn't take long.

Like pnichols said, just shut off 12v while you fuel and it cant spark then, my battery disconnect switch is on the tongue about 3 feet from the fuel filler on our Jeep, takes literally less than 5 seconds to be safe and legal.

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
MartyG2 wrote:
The refer that came with our new travel trailer is a two-way, i.e. propane and 120VAC. No ability to run it on 12VDC. Do I dare run it on propane while traveling? Or does one just keep it shut for the day's drive and hope that things stay cool?

I would hazard that over 90% of us let it run on propane.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

Now: I want you to imagine......

1: You are parked at a FMCA rally, rigs packed in like sardines, and DownTheRoad's photo above happens due to........

What really happened:

1. You somehow got in to the rally under the FMCA 'radar' with a TT or Fifth wheel..:)

2. The FMCA member in the Prevost drove out, then remotely detonated an IED under your ugly "thing".

3. The FMCA rally attendees toast your toasted RV...:W

Awwww - that wouldn't *really* happen................would it??.:@

~

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Francesca Knowles wrote:
I hope it's understood that when folks say "turn off when refueling" that means the appliances themselves, which then cannot relight automatically.

Hmmmmm .... how can that happen if you merely just turn off the 12V battery power in your RV while gassing up??

Just inside our RV's side exit door is the main switch that turns off the coach batteries' 12V power to the entire coach. No propane powered appliances can ignite without power for their 12 volt igniters.

When gassing up, I just switch this off for a few minutes - there's no need to turn off any propane supply valves anywhere. After gassing up I just turn this switch back on so the refrig can operate when going down the road.

This is a very easy and convenient way to gas up safely without fear of any propane igniter coming on. Just make sure to switch the 12V coach power back on after refueling so that your refrig doesn't warm up while going down the road ... I had this happen once. Now I have a digital gauge right on the dash that shows the voltage on the coach's 12 volt system when I'm in the driver's seat. This gauge better read from 13 volts on up when traveling or I'm not getting the engine alternator keeping the coach batteries charged and I'm not getting a refrigerator keeping things cold.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

bobx2
Explorer
Explorer
Mine stays on. Yes, even when refueling. Long ways from the fuel nozzle to the refrigerator. Not going to be a problem.
Becky, Bob, Taylie and Bode
2009 Silverado Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring - Mine
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring - Wifes

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I made a wireless remote control to turn the refrig off and on from the drivers seat. It makes it effortless to turn off the refrig before we pull into a gas station and back on after we leave. We have a motorhome but there is no reason it wouldn't work with a TT.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Mootpoint
Explorer
Explorer
Our fridge stays on auto just about 24/7. It only gets shut down on 2 occasions. One is when it is being cleaned and the other when we are refuelling. I pull in to a station, the DW jumps in the rig and hits the switch. Reverse the procedure when done fuelling. If the station is busy we will wait, pull off down the road and switch it on so not to hold up the folks in line.

It's not a super inconvenience. How many times a day do you stop to refuel in a day?
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

wwest
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to say, but nowadays your driver's license IS your pilots license....

legolas
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Nvr2loud wrote:
oldchief7155 wrote:
Just turn it off when you fill your tow vehicle gasoline tank and then relight it when done fueling.

Except the reason is the possible ignition of gas fumes from the pumps, but turning the propane off will often still cause a source of ignition as each appliance attempts to relight. The spark rod is running causing a very high heat ignition source.

Propane off or on is the same risk.

I hope it's understood that when folks say "turn off when refueling" that means the appliances themselves, which then cannot relight automatically.

Hope springs eternal.............all you need to do is read some of the comments on this or any other topic and you find common sense in short supply...........There should be a requirement for an RV training class before allowing the masses to plunk down some cash and roar away with a TT attached or behind the wheel of an MH all without any idea of that they in essence have a tiger by the tail and it will bite, hopefully when it does I will be somewhere else. The same applies to operating a boat - motorcycle etc......I would love to see the same kind of training and testing required to obtain a private pilots license. Just to many scary folks on the highway with an RV......notice I didn't say IN CONTROL of an RV

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Nvr2loud wrote:
oldchief7155 wrote:
Just turn it off when you fill your tow vehicle gasoline tank and then relight it when done fueling.

Except the reason is the possible ignition of gas fumes from the pumps, but turning the propane off will often still cause a source of ignition as each appliance attempts to relight. The spark rod is running causing a very high heat ignition source.

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I turn mine off when fueling, but leave it on otherwise. However, I often see people smoking at the pumps, and they never cause an explosion, with their ignition source just feet away from the fuel fill.

I have no plans on trying to imitate them, though, so better safe than sorry. If a lit fridge does catch the pump, that's definitely a crim negligence charge right there.

ryanw821
Explorer
Explorer
pappcam wrote:
For me, the propane stays on to the fridge for my whole trip, even at gas stations. There are quite a few threads on here regarding this topic.

I wouldn't worry about fueling my diesel with the refer on LP, but I would have some worry about fueling a gasoline vehicle, gas fumes are highly combustible, and I think here anyways state law prohibits fueling any vehicle with ignition source present (flame/vehicle running/etc), so I won't even chance it on my diesel.

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
For me, the propane stays on to the fridge for my whole trip, even at gas stations. There are quite a few threads on here regarding this topic.
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
oldchief7155 wrote: