cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to remove/prevent standing water at campsite???

darleyhavidson
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, our seasonal campsite has a low spot (approximately 20' x 10') that collects water after a good rain. Normally, it absorbs into the ground pretty quickly, however this year the soil is so saturated that the water has no where to go.

Since, it is the low spot (has high sides on all 4 sides) what can I do to minimize the pooling of water so I don't have to wade through ankle deep water when leaving my camper?

Thoughts?

dh
61 REPLIES 61

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of multiple smaller holes I have used a plastic trash can with holes in the side, set in a hole with gravel around the sides, and a pressure treated lid I made with a drain attached to the lid by a short piece of PVC. I put a little gravel around the drain to prevent dirt from washing in. Worked great and could handle and disperse a good deal of water in a downpour.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

darleyhavidson
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:

Possible to lease another site next year and not have to deal with this?

Possible, but not likely. There is a waiting list for lakeside sites. Plus I have put too much work into this site to leave it. And I have one of the nicest views, setups in the RV park.

I read about a dry well method, that I might give a go. Drill multiple vertical dry wells (6-8" in diameter) 4 foot deep. Sock off end of 6" perforated drainage pipe that has been inserted in hole and fill pipe with pea gravel. I figured this method would not cost a lot of money and I can drill a couple of test holes to see how the ground absorbs the water.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
This talk of French drains, pumps and hoses for standing water that occurs a few days a year is massive overkill. You can fix the problem with a wheelbarrow and a shovel if you have to. Add some fill. You can use fine gravel, some sand and some loamy soil. Topsoil has a lot of organic matter in it. It will be sticky and will not drain that well. Use topsoil only the top.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
installing a french drain to redirect the water to a place where it wont harm anything else would be the best bet.

Steve

Did this in WA state around my home, they called it a curtain drain and ran it into a utility ditch on one side of the property.

Possible to lease another site next year and not have to deal with this?
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I suspect the trees and soil will benefit if the water is left standing to soak in periodically.
Immediate drainage every time nearly eliminates this natural process.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Since you yourself have cleared trees, planted grass, etc (unless I misread your earlier posts), then I would bring in a load of topsoil, spread it out, and replant the grass. Tell the owner that you are (continuing to) improving the site at your cost.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

darleyhavidson
Explorer
Explorer
Alan_Hepburn wrote:
darleyhavidson wrote:

And as people change the landscape of their campsites around me, my lot is being impacted and is receiving more over the ground water because of it.

So, he allows others to change the landscape of their sites, but won't allow you to change the landscape of yours?

The landscape changes include adding more gravel to pad, fencing, pulling trees, etc. All the small changes to landscape around me cause water to redirect, was the point I was trying to make.

I am attempting to get him to come up with a solution, but he has had 2 years and my patience is at an end. So, I am looking for some sustainable solutions.

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
darleyhavidson wrote:

And as people change the landscape of their campsites around me, my lot is being impacted and is receiving more over the ground water because of it.

So, he allows others to change the landscape of their sites, but won't allow you to change the landscape of yours?
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

darleyhavidson
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
The owner of the lot should fix that. If you get no love there, either drain it, or fill and resow the grass.

Agreed. However, he is resistant to do anything to fix it. He feels if I add more topsoil to level it, the new topsoil won't absorb the water. And consequently, flood another adjacent lot or impact another portion of my campsite.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
The owner of the lot should fix that. If you get no love there, either drain it, or fill and resow the grass.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
darleyhavidson wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
installing a french drain to redirect the water to a place where it wont harm anything else would be the best bet.

Steve

Since the flooding is at the lowest spot on the lot grade, the safest place to redirect the water is uphill (6 foot higher than the low spot). There in lies the challenge on how to get the water to the lake side (high side) of the lot by using natural means or drainage. Mechanical pumps are an option, but since I don't live there permanently, it is the less ideal solution.

ya I gathered that by the photo but its a prmanant soultion , would just take some work and could be expensive if you cant do it your self.

if its only once and a while then a pump could work but you have to be there to pump it, but probably the cheepest way.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
https://rawhidefirehose.com/

This specific hose: https://rawhidefirehose.com/firehose/hose-by-industry/industrial/1-12-single-jacket-mill-discharge-h...
Unfortunately the lengths seem to be limited to 100 feet.

Google will find a few more to compare. Very close in price. Probably amazon has it too.

Grainger has the C&E shank camlock to NPT adapter to connect to the pump.
https://www.grainger.com/product/BANJO-Cam-and-Groove-Adapter-1DPL3

Pump:
https://www.waterpumpsdirect.com/FloTec-FP0S4100X-Water-Pump/p72416.html

Shop around. I recommend the side screened intake vs the bottom to have less debris enter the pump.

darleyhavidson
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
I also use 150' of 1.5" fabric covered 'fire hose' so it can roll up very compact for storage.

Good idea. Where did you find that type of hose?

darleyhavidson
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
If you go with a pump you will want a well at the lowest point so the water will collect around the pickup.

If I went this route, I figured I would dig a pit for the pump to reside. Kind of like a sump pump in a house basement.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I also use 150' of 1.5" fabric covered 'fire hose' so it can roll up very compact for storage.