cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I need new tires!

kwmjd
Explorer
Explorer
I am in need of new tires. A little back story. I have a 2008 keystone outback. I purchased it new in 08. It came from the factory with Mission st trailer tires. After two years they became dry rot and I replaced with Kuhmo 857 205r14. Well last weekend I had a blow out luckily we were ok, not so much for the trailer. In the process of the blow out the other tire that took the load also stressed and has side wall cracks, not dry rot. After some homework I found out the kuhmo tires in the size I bought were made in China. Now I don't trust any of them. So I am now set on Maxxis tires. My question is to whether I get the M8008 or the u-168. The trailer loaded is under 8000 lbs. I need to stay in the 14" size as I don't want to do an axle flip. Thanks for any recommendation you give. Keith
6 REPLIES 6

kwmjd
Explorer
Explorer
Went with the m8008. Thanks for the help!

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Maxxis 8008 would be my choice also along with metal valve stems and the TPMS of your choice. Why trust to luck that something isn't going wrong with a tire?
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Maxxis M8008 would be my choice
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
sorry for your problemsโ€ฆ
I have often recommended the Kumho 195 to replace a 205 sized tire because it more closely matches the physical size of the OE tire and it unlike the Kumho 205 isnโ€™t made in chinaโ€ฆ and yes Kumho in china has had quality problems of major proportionsโ€ฆ so much for the place of origin doesnโ€™t matterโ€ฆ

I have used the UE168 on a van (not a trailer) and wasnโ€™t impressed with it but it didnโ€™t fail eitherโ€ฆ I have been impressed with the M8008 in my research for my own trailer tire replacementsโ€ฆ the problem is I only researched the 225x75x15 with the mfg. themselves and has you now realize tires of the same brand may have different quality levels for different sizesโ€ฆ

Based on my study in general and faced with your decision, without making a recommendation, I would be comfortable with and give the edge to the M8008โ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
What is the oem size, load rating and pressure? What is the GVWR?
Is clearance really that tight? 205-15 is 1" taller so you lose only 1/2" clearance.

215-14 should fit on your wheels and only .6" taller so you lose .3" clearance.

johnrbd
Explorer
Explorer
M8008