cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas on Not Losing the 2-1/2" Hitch Adapter

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I'm using my old Equal-i-zer hitch from my old Tundra which had a 2" receiver. Of course my 2016 Ram in my sig has the 2-1/2" receiver. I'm using the slide in adapter supplied with the truck. I've discovered it's very easy to slide out the Equal-i-zer shank and ball and forget about the adapter, meaning the adapter falls out somewhere on the road and you can't hitch up.

Has anyone come up with a trick to keep the adapter either with the shank or keep it in the receiver? I've thought of various things like tack welding, installing a set screw, etc, but was looking for some idea that I have not thought of.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"
28 REPLIES 28

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
... Could use a locking pin, but then must not lose the key! 🙂

I keep my key on the same ring as the truck ignition key. We have 2 sets of skeys, each is a complete set for the entire truck. She has one set, I have one set. We've never lost the hitch pin key this way:

1 ignition key that also works the tail gate lock and glove box lock, and box between the seats.
1 key for the doors for the truck bed cap. There are 3 locks.
1 key for the hitch pin lock
1 key for the bicycle carrier arm lock that locks the bicycles to the carrier. The carrier slides into the receiver. Hitch pin locks that in place.

Attached to this set of keys is the set of keys for the second vehicle at home and the house key. We figure, we can only be driving one vehicle at a time, so both sets are kept together. And if we are gone, we'll be in one of the vehicles, so the house key stays with this set also.

We keep a separate ring for the trailer keys (we have multiple locks there too). As we don't always have the trailer with us, we leave those keys on a completely separate ring and grab them (2 sets) only when we need them (or traveling).

So, long story short, we've never lost the hitch pin lock key this way.

elcheapo
Explorer
Explorer
Just mix up a little salt and water, coat the adapter and it will rust in place. or deform it with a hammer for a tight fit.
2016 Jayco Redhawk 29XK

Larry-D
Explorer II
Explorer II
Leave the adapter in the shank all the time with a locking hitch pin.

BillandCarole
Explorer
Explorer
I just bolt the adapted down with a large bolt that gets really torqued down. If they can get this off a lock isn't going to stop a thief this determined.
My solution
Bill
2K8 Chevy LTZ Turbo Diesel 4x4
Cats Vino, and "Stubby"
Transfer Flow Tank
2017 Fox Mountain 235RLS
Reese 16K Slider
Honda EU2000's to power the toys
Garmin GPS's/Android Pixel 2XL -WAZE
"And were still wandering..."

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the ideas. Trying to avoid dropping big bucks on the 2-1/2" shank if possible. The locking pin might be an idea.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
How about get a 2.5 shank and leave the adapter at home.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I just use a standard pin. I suppose theft could be a problem, but can’t remember anyone ever reporting it. Never had mine stolen in 14 yrs of owning a truck with that adapter.

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
You can get a locking hitch pin that will program to your truck key. Got mine on Amazon.

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Equal-i-zer/EQ90-02-4900.html

I realize its some cash but do in once and your done. 🙂

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
CarnationSailor wrote:
An anti-rattle device such as:

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Anti-Rattle/Gen-Y-Hitch/325-GH-063.html

Only problem with that part is if you are reducing from 2-1/2" to 2" like I am, you need to by 2 sleeves, one for each size (according to eTraier.com). That's over $50
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
I keep mine in the sleeve all the time. I keep a locking hitch pin through it all the time. The reducer sleeve never comes out of the 2 1/2 inch shaft. Never.

Thought of that, but was afraid of theft. Could use a locking pin, but then must not lose the key! 🙂
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
An anti-rattle device such as:

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Anti-Rattle/Gen-Y-Hitch/325-GH-063.html
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I did the same as DutchmenSport above for the past several years when my truck came with the 2.5 inch receiver.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I keep mine in the sleeve all the time. I keep a locking hitch pin through it all the time. The reducer sleeve never comes out of the 2 1/2 inch shaft. Never.