cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

In dash touchscreen

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Silverado with touch screen in dash.
Using maps on iPhone connected to USB port on truck, IMAPs works great on touchscreen.
What I would like to do is show Googlemaps on the dash screen but can't see how to get it to switch.
Help,please
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin
27 REPLIES 27

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Feb 15, 2017 - 2016 Was the Deadliest Year on American Roads in Nearly a Decade ... that as many as 40,000 people died in motor vehicles crashes last year, a 6% rise from 2015. If those ... Crashes result in the very real cost of human life."
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Fubeca wrote:
It is a little ironic that many states are passing very strict phone usage laws and at the same time manufacturers are rushing to make cars more like the phones being outlawed.

It is illegal to interact with a phone - but okay to do the exact same thing on the car's touchscreen. Seems kind of weird.

knee-jerk laws and the lobbying platform doesn't oppose "the ban"

if a Senator wanted to ban the use of Big Macs or Whoppers while driving, the lobbying platform might not so eagerly agree.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Fubeca wrote:
It is a little ironic that many states are passing very strict phone usage laws and at the same time manufacturers are rushing to make cars more like the phones being outlawed.

It is illegal to interact with a phone - but okay to do the exact same thing on the car's touchscreen. Seems kind of weird.

Not that I've seen every touch-screen platform, but I'm not aware of any unit that allows you to type-text or type-email. You can dial by typing or use voice-to-text, but most functions are otherwise limited.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

Fubeca
Explorer
Explorer

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo wrote:
steveh27 wrote:
A touchscreen while driving seems like it could be a distraction from the road.

To paraphrase, "just don't touch."

I agree. Whenever I want to learn something new, on our 2016 Cadillac's touch screen, for the purpose of MY safety I park in the shade and learn.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Drivers will always find something to distract themselves... before phones it was the radio, or eating, or smoking, or kids in the back, or reading a book / newspaper.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
steveh27 wrote:

No more than using your phone, or following directions on a paper map.
Anything besides driving is a distraction to driving. But imo a touch screen and steering wheel controls are less of a distraction for all the tasks we do while "driving."

Using phones while driving should be illegal everywhere.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
steveh27 wrote:

No more than using your phone, or following directions on a paper map.
Anything besides driving is a distraction to driving. But imo a touch screen and steering wheel controls are less of a distraction for all the tasks we do while "driving."
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
steveh27 wrote:

To paraphrase, "just don't touch."
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
steveh27 wrote:

well you better not try to buy any new car then, because touchscreens are in virtually every vehicle these days.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

CarolynandBob
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 6S and a F350. I wish I could use the google map. Imap has steered us wrong many times.

I have my phone attached to a holder on the dash and use google maps. Sinc map in the ford sucks too.
2017 Vilano 375FL (Bob's Cabin Carolyn's Beach House)
2017 F350 Dually 4x4
8 Year old Pug/Terrier
9 Year old Puggle
8 Year old Boxer/Greyhound

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
hedge wrote:
I'll have to look again, more than likely I'm wrong. Didn't care for the carplay thing so I didn't really pay much attention. I thought I saw the app but maybe it was the apple maps app... which makes more sense.

Sorry to have misled anyone.

Thanks for taking time to try to help me
I assure you I'm not offended
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I'll have to look again, more than likely I'm wrong. Didn't care for the carplay thing so I didn't really pay much attention. I thought I saw the app but maybe it was the apple maps app... which makes more sense.

Sorry to have misled anyone.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB