cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inflatable Kayak questions

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking of getting an inflatable kayak to take with us while traveling. We have a regular hard canoe, but aren't happy with the options to bring it with us (adding a rack to the top of the TV). So, I was thinking an inflatable that we could stow in the back of the truck.

What do you do to dry it before packing it up? Does it take a long time? Is it sort of like a pop up trailer where you can pack it up wet, then get it out to dry later?

Thanks for any insight...

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics
33 REPLIES 33

Seamutt
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Innova sunny. it is canoe like, no decking very easy to get in and out of. I also did not want to be caring something strapped to the truck all the time. Great for one and gear or two. Being long with a skeg it tracks quite well. The material is very durable and very hard to puncture. Sure I would not drag it up a beach but would not drag a good quality hardshell either.

I use a double action hand pump with a gauge and it only takes a few minutes to pump up. Drips off the paddle can get inside but it has inflatable seats to keep your butt off the bottom.

There are more tradition looking inflatables but I like the open design. The open design allows easy re-entry in case of an upset.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
The part that takes longest to dry on mine is where the sides meet the floor. The side tends to lay overtop a couple inches of the floor; even if I mop up the water in that crease with a towel, it can take all day to dry completely. It won't hurt anything if you pack up the damp kayak to travel and then set it out to dry a day later, but you won't want to pack it damp and forget it.

If you're buying an inflatable, get a really long one because it will track better. When you are packing it up anyway, a few extra feet don't really matter much. And tracking is a big issue with most inflatables.

I had a Hobie Mirage Drive for one summer, and with the pedal system the kayak length hardly matters. It tracks wonderfully. But I sold it because I didn't like sitting so low with my legs up; after an hour I'd get stiff and my back would start bothering me from inadequate support. The ideal rig IMO would be a Hobie inflatable with Mirage drive and a somewhat raised, solid-backed seat. Not sure if they make that.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Had my Sevylor Colorado for almost 10 years - fishing, paddling with the DW and dog, whatever. Seen salt marshes and big lakes and small trout ponds. Been from ME to AK so far. Did overpressurize beached in the sun one Fall - now watch pressure more closely - but easy patch to the bladder with urethane glue. Will let it sit for a couple hours if possible to drip dry, then roll it up. After the trip re-inflate to dry on a nice day. Not the performance of my hard shell boats (Old Town. Wenonah, Perception) but still fun on the water. Pretty much a fixture on the back Hitch-Haul rack - I keep it in a XL dry pack to protect it when travelling. ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard good things about the Sea Eagle FastTrack if you want a kayak. However being a fellow canoeist, this inflatable is interesting Travel Canoe.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bowti wrote:
Save yourself a lot of money and grief and buy hard sided kayaks or a canoe. One problem with inflatables besides puncture, is they are hard to regulate as far as air pressure. Leave them in the sun and you exceed recommended pressure, put them in cold water and they become under inflated and float like a anchor. Forget about covering any distance with them, as they push the water instead of gliding over the top. If you want to float down a river fine, but don't try going against any current. Things are much better with the higher priced ones, but I think you would be much happier with one that is more versatile.

As for carrying, this seem to be very popular way. Loading and unloading is easy.

I guess since you say you see a lot of people doing that then it must be legal. But, I don't know. Seems a little iffy to me. Sticks out further then the bumper and blocks your vision upward. Can you even see stop lights with that mounted like that? I don't think my local police would like that. I'm not sure what ticket they would write you but, they would think of one.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has anyone seen this folding boats ? They are a hard side yet they fold up to a small size. They might be better then a inflatable and they are not much bigger then a Kayak

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
we had cheap inflatable couldn't paddle straight. now own 2 inexpensive hard shell. we really like the hard shell. do like an inflatable for white water, but expect to pay more.
last summer coming down Rouge, flipped my hard shell. rented an inflatable and had a great time.
we had trailer and mounted the kayaks on top. very easy
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

Bowti
Explorer
Explorer
Save yourself a lot of money and grief and buy hard sided kayaks or a canoe. One problem with inflatables besides puncture, is they are hard to regulate as far as air pressure. Leave them in the sun and you exceed recommended pressure, put them in cold water and they become under inflated and float like a anchor. Forget about covering any distance with them, as they push the water instead of gliding over the top. If you want to float down a river fine, but don't try going against any current. Things are much better with the higher priced ones, but I think you would be much happier with one that is more versatile.

As for carrying, this seem to be very popular way. Loading and unloading is easy.

2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Twomed wrote:
JMHO BUT... if do like "goducks" above and buy cheap you are destined to be disappointed. My five year old Advanced Elements is still just fine. Faded a little, scratches on the bottom from oysters and rocks, but still many years left in it.

That's true. But like I said we knew going in they weren't performance kayaks. We just wanted something we did not have to worry about.

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
aguablanco wrote:
We are whitewater rafters and inflatable kayakers (IK) and we have several rafts and IK's. Generally, we wash them with laundry soap before storage and try to let them dry because we may store them for months before the next trip. That should not be what you have to do. As stated earlier, dry as much as possible and roll it up. Better to roll than fold as it doesn't put creases in the fabric. When you get to the next destination inflate and let dry as much as possible. We also use 303 protectant to minimize UV degradation. Never use Armorall as it penetrates the fabric and makes patching very difficult. They make self bailing models that will drain any accumulated water and allow you to sit in relatively dry comfort. There are also rubber grommets that fit on the paddle shafts that help keep the water off your hands and out of the boat.Depending on your needs, you can expect to pay anywhere from $100 up to $1500. If I can answer any questions please feel free to contact me.
RichH

X2 (plus WW canoers and kayakers) Everything said above is good advice. If possible, when storing the boat for long periods, store inflated.

moebedick
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Hobie tandem inflatable with pedal drive and a sail kit. We used it when we had a TT and could carry it in the back of our Nissan Frontier. Lots of fun! We bought a small motorhome and could no longer bring it with us,although we did consider buying a small trailer to carry it. Now we have a new p/u with a slide in camper ,and again cannot fit it in!

It inflates rather quickly with a hand pump (three chambers in about five minutes) and is very rigid when inflated. My posterior aspect gets soaked if I forget to bail periodically or if my wife gets enthusiastic when paddling. My 225 pounds may have something to do with it I suppose. Being a very well designed and manufactured kayak,it still looks like new with no leaks after numerous uses and foldings. It seems to dry by the time we are ready to pack it up.I may sell it soon due to lack of use and the fact that I now tow a small sailboat.

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
JMHO BUT... if do like "goducks" above and buy cheap you are destined to be disappointed. My five year old Advanced Elements is still just fine. Faded a little, scratches on the bottom from oysters and rocks, but still many years left in it.
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

Andymon
Explorer
Explorer
We have two Advanced Elements and really like them I have the Advanced Frame model and my GF has the Advance Sport. Nice quality for sure.

Artum Snowbird wrote:
We have this model Advanced Elements 1007 and really like it.

I use a battery powered air mattress inflater to get most of the air in, and then have to use the more high powered manual pump to harden it up. I also have converted the wheels and frame from an old fertilizer spreader by removing the bucket and gears, and we tie the kayak onto that and with only a little weight on the bow, we pull it to the lake, then strap the carrying framework onto the back while we paddle.

So, yes, we like to dry it out. Our model comes apart into floor, tubes, and outer canvas. It does take some time to dry it out, but it's so fun to paddle about on nice days. We usually spread the parts over a picnic table or even a rope between trees, then re-assemble it before folding it up. If we stay for a few days it just slips underneath the rig on a 9 by 12 tarp diagonally.
2008 Springdale 266RLS
1999 F250 7.3
Medford, Oregon

Andymon
Explorer
Explorer
We have two Advanced Elements inflatables and love them. Take just a few minutes to inflate and deflate. Each has a storage bag. When done using them, we just towel dry them off. Easy peasy. We paid about $450 each. Excellent quality kayaks. We got them from https://www.austinkayak.com/
2008 Springdale 266RLS
1999 F250 7.3
Medford, Oregon

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
We are whitewater rafters and inflatable kayakers (IK) and we have several rafts and IK's. Generally, we wash them with laundry soap before storage and try to let them dry because we may store them for months before the next trip. That should not be what you have to do. As stated earlier, dry as much as possible and roll it up. Better to roll than fold as it doesn't put creases in the fabric. When you get to the next destination inflate and let dry as much as possible. We also use 303 protectant to minimize UV degradation. Never use Armorall as it penetrates the fabric and makes patching very difficult. They make self bailing models that will drain any accumulated water and allow you to sit in relatively dry comfort. There are also rubber grommets that fit on the paddle shafts that help keep the water off your hands and out of the boat.Depending on your needs, you can expect to pay anywhere from $100 up to $1500. If I can answer any questions please feel free to contact me.
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.