cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Insights and suggestion for Memphis...

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Flying into Memphis end of January...driving around...getting to Nashville..then on to the coast and wheel right for NOLA Feb 10th..Mardi Gras the 13th.

I love a good bourbon.let that set the tone for suggestions. But..by all means, please let me know.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/
36 REPLIES 36

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on BBQ shop. I liked Central also
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Gary, the best barbecue in Memphis is: (in my opinion)

The Barbecue Shop
1782 Madison Ave
Memphis, TN

It is in the 'midtown' area of Memphis on Madison between McLean and Belvedere Blvd (major intersections).

Have fun.
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Ken..many thanks for the suggestion..Nelson's Green Brier. So happens that Sharon loves to wander shops and our arrangement involves me on a stool and her texting me when she is ready to go.

I am not sure about Jacks..I am not a fan of that product as a rule but Short Mountain was sorta in the same neck of the woods. I shall wait to see.

Gary

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
You enjoy a good whiskey so I have to urge you to go to Nelson's Green Brier Distillery while you are in Nashville. Its downtown not far from Broadway St. They produce a Whiskey that they age in Sherry barrels, Belle Meade Sherry Bourbon they call it. Yes, I know true Bourbon is produced in Bourbon county KY. so lets not argue the point of what is Bourbon. Excellent spirit.

I also have to urge you to take the time to go to Jack Daniel's distillery while you are in Nashville. Its not that far for a good day trip and the tasting tour is very informative and educational on how to taste whiskies. My favorite is No. 27. Not cheap but worth it for enjoyment factor alone.

And yes, there is a legal definition of what is Tennessee whiskey, just like Bourbon.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
This our 3rd time to NOLA..our second Mardis Gras. We watch the Fat Tuesday parade from a spot up on St Charles. You are right...The Quarter is no place to be at night and even during the day, one needs to be aware. The food tho...the food in and around NOLA is amazing. I like being the tourist that goes into some joint for the live music and a drink at noon. We did the night time once....not do that again.

We stay in an AirBnb place in the Garden District..right on the Mississippi and the St Charles tram line. Lots of great walkin and eatin and then there is Magazine St, too.

I asked Alexa..she told me the difference between Bourbon and whiskey. Thanks for the idea to ask.

I am a fan of Buffalo Trace. I see an inviting stop at Short Mountain.

Gary

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Never have attended the Mardi Gras but have been to the French Quarter in less festive times. Bourbon Street is a sewer really. It stinks of vomit and urine (we were there in the summer). Nothing but bars and strip joints. If you are easily offended by openly sexual behavior then be cautious and be prepared for some eye opening stuff. Being February it might curtail some of it. The rest of the French Quarter I enjoyed though and its worth touring.

tdiller
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
Flying into Memphis end of January...driving around...getting to Nashville..then on to the coast and wheel right for NOLA Feb 10th..Mardi Gras the 13th.

I love a good bourbon.let that set the tone for suggestions. But..by all means, please let me know.

Gary Haupt

Mardi Gras is one of those one and done type of things. Ben there done that don't ever need to do it again.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
I'm sorry but if its Bourbon you want then you HAVE to go to Kentucky. Look up their Bourbon trail. Tennessee has its own Tennessee whiskey, Jack Daniels, George Dickel are two well known ones. ...

X2

Now someone is going to have to explain the difference between Bourbon and Whiskey to him, cause all Bourbon is Whiskey, but not all Whiskey is Bourbon.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, the Graceland CG is in a BAD part of town. The Meeman-Shelby Forest CG is very nice, but a little way out of town. I live here, and still go to Shelby Forest for a weekend campout.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Graceland rv park right across the street from Graceland.
I'm not into Elvis but found Graceland interesting. Beale Street was a big let down after just comming from down town Nashville. Had some good BBQ.
We were suppose to stay their four nights we stayed two. Really didn't feel safe outside main areas. Took off and drove a long day from Memphis to the Amish town of Berlin Ohio. What a difference.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Bourbon Trails...yes, I wold love to get onto the Kentucky one but time is going to dictate not this time. Got 10 days to do the wander part and we are going to meet up with Monkey44 in St Augustine, Florida..he has a jug of wine with my name on it.

Thanks for the tip on Beale St...not the first time I have heard the warnings about the area.

Gary

NEOK
Explorer
Explorer
Gary, my wife and I toured the Buffalo Trace Distillery in Frankfort Kentucky three years ago. If you will d your way through Kentucky it's worth a visit but it may be a little further north than your planned route. I hope you enjoy your trip.
neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sorry but if its Bourbon you want then you HAVE to go to Kentucky. Look up their Bourbon trail. Tennessee has its own Tennessee whiskey, Jack Daniels, George Dickel are two well known ones. In Nashville there is Nelson's Green Brier Distillery, Franklin has Leiper's Fork and they produce a Bourbon. Jack and George are a day trip away from the Nashville area and the Jack Daniels tour is great. Veterans get a discount on the price.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
garyhaupt wrote:
I do Google..everything....but asking for insights from folks that have been to a place usually invites some personal views.

We arrive at night...but we'll hang out for a day or two if weather is allowing for casual wandering. Yeah..probably not Graceland. We usually just wander backroads...takes forever to get far but we see and meet lots.

Gary
Do take the advice from locals and mind your wandering, some places don't lend themselves to wandering safely. In fact Beale Street is okay as long as you stay on Beale Street and don't wander off it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Larry-D
Explorer
Explorer
Bass Pro store downtown