cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interested in your opinion of a 4x4 Grand Cherokee

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Although I like my Ford F-150, it isn't the most comfortable car on the road for the passengers in the back and I miss having a large trunk / rear covered space for hauling stuff. I full time with my family (wife and two girls) and we always bring our four bikes.

I'm seriously considering a Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel as our next toad.

For those of you with experience, can you tell me 1) Do you like it? 2) Can I haul two or four bikes in the back if I remove the wheels? 3) Is it comfortable? 4) Is it reliable?

Any other considerations?

I'm looking at buying something at the beginning of 2017.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`
48 REPLIES 48

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure its a REAL 4x4 with 'LOCKERS'! If not, its only a 'All wheel drive' car in which only 1 front & 1 rear wheel drives if traction is lost. I'd look into a Used 'Range Rover'. They are the best riding and the most capable REAL 4x4's in the world! Used prices are much better than Jeep.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
mgh122 wrote:
Bike rack in the Jeep hitch will easily carry 4 bikes, rack locks to the hitch and bikes to the rack. All safe and secure.
I've done bike racks before and I even had a four bike rack on the back of my Scion a few years ago. What a pain in the buttocks. Maybe it was the Yakima rack I had, but I found it difficult to stack all four bikes on the rack within the space provided and it was impossible to open the rear hatch without unloading the entire stack of bikes. Then the bikes would sway and bounce around while I was underway.

I was thinking that two bikes on the hitch would be much more secure and easy to setup and another two bikes on the roof or behind the back seat.

The pickup truck is probably best way to carry four bikes but you lose the covered option. I guess there is no perfect solution.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

mgh122
Explorer
Explorer
Bike rack in the Jeep hitch will easily carry 4 bikes, rack locks to the hitch and bikes to the rack. All safe and secure.
Mike & Peg
Aint' life grand!!
'05 Discovery 39S
'04 Grand Cherokee Freedom, M&G, Roadmaster Sterling
http://discovery-on-the-road.blogspot.com/
Zeus the Wonder Dog
"makes you wonder doesn't he"

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I have a 2014 4X4 GC Limited with the V6 and haven't had any problems with it. It rides very nice and it is quiet. Don't know if you can get 2 or 4 bikes in the back. We use a bike carrier attached to the hitch.