cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interesting side trip... Slab City and Salvation Mountain

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just returned from a 5 day trip to San Diego and Borrego Springs. on the way home heading east out of Borrego Springs we detoured to the tiny little town of Niland southeast of the Salton Sea.

Niland is home to a truly unique adventure. Located 4 miles northeast of town on very poor but paved road you enter the realm of Slab City. Hundreds of dilapidated {disintegrating} trailers and what were once RV's of every description cover the barren landscape. Billed as one of the last places that freedom still exists it is home every winter to a special class of "snowbirds".

At the entrance to The Slabs" as it is known you will encounter Salvation Mountain and it is definitely worth a stop. Google it for details but for 31 years a man lived off the grid building his ultimate shrine to Christianity.

Colorful does not begin to describe what thousands of gallons of bright paint applied to the barren landscape can accomplish:

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Always wanted to see this amazing spot and we're glad the opportunity finally presented itself. Not much in Niland but breakfast at the Buckshot Cafe was decent.

:B

Not having any luck posting the pics I took... must be another Photobucket fiasco but I'll keep trying.
41 REPLIES 41

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Billed as one of the last places that freedom still exists it is home every winter to a special class of "snowbirds".

A place that Freedom still exists? They are all nothing more than a bunch of squatters, homeless druggies. And to liken them to Snowbirds? Give me a break.

What they have done to destroy this area over the years is simply disgusting. It WAS at one time a nice place to stop at and boondock.

It certainly is no longer a safe place to stay. The squatters have no electric, water or sewer. Just where do you think all that daily waste from those people is going??

IMHO I find it sad and disturbing that any RV'er would want to make an unsafe homeless drug infested area as a destination trip. :R

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
we used to go out to the Slabs, every Thanksgiving. the DW's grandpa lived past the Slabs, on gov't land, in his trailer. total desert rat.
her family had dune buggys and ATVs and rode over the holiday and then had T-day dinner under tents.
had to drive through the Slabs to get to the canal, that led to his compound. her dad and uncle poured a concrete swimming pool for him.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am shocked CA has not had the FG deem that area as a superfund site due to ground contamination from paint? Heck....I have a CA warning on the can of odor neutralizing room spray sitting beside me this morning.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here are many photos on Slab City:

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/slab-city-slab-city

I agree with the above post.... it's sad to see children living in this environment. There's no future for them.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wow, just...wow.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Depending on your photobucket account these may not last long once they discover you are linked to a forum. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Upload here for the official RV.net hosting:

http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=2

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
It's a disgrace to our military. Im glad I use Irish spring don't you wish everyone did.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
It sounds like you drove through in a hurry and did not send much time or meet any residents or ask any questions

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
We have certainly visited Slab City by car (since we live in Palm Springs) and it's a view to behold. ๐Ÿ™‚

I certainly can see the desire to be 'off grid' but what bothers me are the children that might be included in that lifestyle. Living with no electricity (for the most part), no running water, etc. Can you imagine what it is like after dark? Are there honey wagons that come by? How do they refill their water? :?
I'm sure they have it all figured out but it IS a sight to see.

It's hard to imagine that it has gone down hill. :E We saw it maybe 6 or 7 yrs. ago. There are tour buses that go to Salvation Mountain.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

MrWizard
Desert Captain wrote:
Just returned from a 5 day trip to San Diego and Borrego Springs. on the way home heading east out of Borrego Springs we detoured to the tiny little town of Niland southeast of the Salton Sea.

Niland is home to a truly unique adventure. Located 4 miles northeast of town on very poor but paved road you enter the realm of Slab City. Hundreds of dilapidated {disintegrating} trailers and what were once RV's of every description cover the barren landscape. Billed as one of the last places that freedom still exists it is home every winter to a special class of "snowbirds".

At the entrance to The Slabs" as it is known you will encounter Salvation Mountain and it is definitely worth a stop. Google it for details but for 31 years a man lived off the grid building his ultimate shrine to Christianity.

Colorful does not begin to describe what thousands of gallons of bright paint applied to the barren landscape can accomplish:

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Always wanted to see this amazing spot and we're glad the opportunity finally presented itself. Not much in Niland but breakfast at the Buckshot Cafe was decent.

:B

Not having any luck posting the pics I took... must be another Photobucket fiasco but I'll keep trying.

you used HTMl urls inside of IMG link commands

"http ://s549.photobucket.com/user/Captottersea/media/IMG_0317_zps4j1bby5q.jpg. html"

i tried to copy/use the link commands for img placement and keep getting HTML webpage links
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been visiting SC for many years, and if you can believe it, it's gone downhill. Niland grocery store is decent and has good meat.

Photobucket will, apparently, not allow direct photo linking. No matter which url you choose, it forces you so see its promo pages and ads. Ain't free great?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please repost the pictures. Want to see if there are any changes since last visit.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad