cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is this legal???

moniki
Explorer
Explorer
We are fairly new at RVing and have been planning a summer trip to the Northeast. Made a lot of park reservations last year, since I heard that was imperative to get into some of the parks. Some of these we had to pay ahead of time. We made reservations at one popular resort in New Hampshire last November paying in full and receiving a receipt and confirmation. The other day, I received a letter stating that we owed $80 because of the 2019 price hikes.

Is this right? I mean if I bought a plane ticket last year for this year, could they bill me for a price change? I donโ€™t think so. Is this normal for RV parks? Is there anything I can do?

Moniki
66 REPLIES 66

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:

So what if the campground requires a 100% deposit?

Ummmm....then it wouldn't be a "deposit", it would be "Paid in Full".:h
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Now we have devolved to Federal wire fraud. If I jumped to these conclusions on my corporate audits at the first question I would have the FBI on speed dial.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
badsix wrote:
the O/P should contact the Better Business bureau in the state of the campground, they should be able to provide honest answers. its not the money so much its the principal. some people just don't care and will lay down and let people walk on them. others do care, they are the ones that make it better for all of us. its all about right and wrong.
Jay D.

It is about right or wrong. But without details who's to say what's right and what's wrong.

A co-worker complained about stores ripping her off. She said it was a weekly occurrence, if not daily. I pointed out that if it was happening that often, then she was doing something wrong. So, she started detailing the circumstances to me. Guess what? In 99 percent of the situations, they charged her the correct price for the item - but she was looking for anything to get a lower price. She would pick something up that was on the wrong shelf and then try to argue that the sign below it (which was for a different thing completely) was what she should be charged.

In this situation, we just don't know the details. Did the website and/or small print state that prices were subject to change for 2019 reservations?
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Wire fraud is a crime in which a person concocts a scheme to defraud or obtain money based on false representation or promises. This criminal act is done using electronic communications or an interstate communications facility.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Lodge a dispute of payment with your credit card carrier.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
badsix wrote:
the O/P should contact the Better Business bureau in the state of the campground, they should be able to provide honest answers. its not the money so much its the principal. some people just don't care and will lay down and let people walk on them. others do care, they are the ones that make it better for all of us. its all about right and wrong.
Jay D.
Not one in a million people check the Better Business Bureau ratings of a park when making reservations. I have had exactly one interaction with them in all the years I have been in business. They wanted me to contact someone who complained and answer as to why we were closed and wouldn't accommodate someone in January. I didn't bother to respond and never have checked my BBB rating. With the internet sites rating businesses the BBB is now a relic from the past. Totally a waste of time complaining to them.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
mich800 wrote:
MattFromPA wrote:
This has happened to me a few times, however it was always spelled out during the reservation process. The more popular franchise campgrounds routinely raise rates year to year, and when they take reservations a year out I've come to expect to pay a differential.

If I was putting money down on this situation. I would also agree, reservation placed in prior year subject to the rates for the arrival year. But like the Tootsie Roll Pop debate, we may never know.

At least toilet paper debate is settled - it goes OVER! TP Debate
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
MattFromPA wrote:
This has happened to me a few times, however it was always spelled out during the reservation process. The more popular franchise campgrounds routinely raise rates year to year, and when they take reservations a year out I've come to expect to pay a differential.

If I was putting money down on this situation. I would also agree, reservation placed in prior year subject to the rates for the arrival year. But like the Tootsie Roll Pop debate, we may never know.

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
Jay D.

MattFromPA
Explorer
Explorer

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nevermind

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bird Freak wrote:
Just my opinion here and I am not a lawyer. If OP had paid a deposit for site I would say it was open to a price increase for the other nights not paid for. If OP paid in full I would think all nights were paid for before price increase and should be honored.

So what if the campground requires a 100% deposit?

What percentage you paid doesn't matter...it's what the contract terms set out that counts.

Example: Airlines can kick you off the plane after...you've paid in full, received your boarding card, passed thru security and are buckled into your seat. All very much legal, because the contract terms you agreed to allow for it (and no the airline doesn't walk you thru all the terms and conditions, that's your burden)
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lantley wrote:
I believe they have a contract with a clause that says the CG can raise rates if necessary. The camper can accept the increase or ask for a refund.
No trial required.
I'm not a lawyer , but I play one on the internet:)

Without knowing the cancellation policy in the contract, we don't know if he can get a refund.

He can certainly ask for a refund...he can also ask for a pet unicorn but both have nothing to do with what is enforceable per the contract.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ron3rd wrote:

Well I am in fact an Attorney, and yes, he could retain an Attorney, but this case is hardly worth that unless he could be sure to get Attorney's fees in the settlement.

One side to a contract cannot unilaterally modify the contract without offering a separate "consideration". If a party could, what would stop the OP from calling the campground up and say, "I just lost my job so I have reduced revenue; as a result, I am going to pay you $80 less".

This sounds like some BS from a private campground that's hurting and doesn't know what to do.

They can modify it if there is a clause allowing for modification (technically you could argue the price change isn't a change if there is such a clause but in common usage...)
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
mich800 wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:

Yes they did have a contract. In fact that was Contracts 101 when I was in Law School. The OP is legally required to pay for the site and they are legally required to provide it. The obligation runs both ways.

So you have reviewed said contract and came to this conclusion? Do attorneys often make legal judgments based on virtually zero information from neither side?

There is little doubt that there is a contract in place...the problem is the contract may allow for adjustments in price by the campground.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'