cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jeep towi

thordriver
Explorer
Explorer
I have a jeep Wrangler that I tow. I am considering changing from the factory bumper, Has anyone done this and will I have an issue with the tow pins on the tow plate with a different bumper.
9 REPLIES 9

computermonkey
Explorer
Explorer
Side note:
It is important to make sure the tow bar is flat as possible when towing. I had to get a four inch rise receiver adapter for my set up.
New
2013 RAM Crew Cab, 3500 4x4
2019 Arctic Fox 1140 wet bath
Old
2016 Eagle Cap 960
2004 Jayco Talon ZX
1998 GMC Suburban with a Cummins 6BT conversion.

Y-Guy
There are three bumpers that are made that are designed for towing; LoD Off Road and Rock Hard 4x4 are the two big players. Both back up their bumpers clearly stating that towing is approved. Every other bumper that Iโ€™ve researched will not state this, so its use at your own risk.

Rock Hard does make a Tow Bar Bracket for use with Blue Ox, Ready Brute and Demco tow brackets. This works good if your bumper uses pass through bolts. In this case just need to make sure the bolts you use are up for the task. My gut says a Grade 8 bolt should do the trick, but perhaps a Grade 5 would be fine.

LoD Off Road Bumpers
Rock Hard Jeep Bumpers
Rock Hard Tow Bar Bracket

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
I ditched the original bumpers, and installed ones from Smittybilt. These have a D-ring mount on the face of the bumper.

https://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/34.htm

I purchased a used Falcon 2 towbar from eBay for less than 1/2 of the original price.

In stock configuration, it used a spreader bar, and the arms fit over the pins. I replaced the ends of the arms with these adapters, made by Road Master, the manufacturer of the tow bar:

https://www.etrailer.com/Base-Plates/Roadmaster/RM-035-1.html

The adapter kit came with shims, which fit the D-rings perfectly. I used some JB Weld to secure them in place, so I'd never have to worry about installing them each time I used the tow bar.

Here's the final result:

Much quicker to connect/disconnect. No need to climb under the front of the Jeep. Very secure mount as the heavy duty D-rings are welded to 3/16 steel, which is mounted to the frame in multiple locations with Grade 8 hardware.

Once we arrive, the safety cables are disconnected, as is the trailer light cable, then the pins are pulled. The tow bar arms collapse, and fold up against the back of the RV. Nothing left hanging on the front of the Jeep.

This works so well that the only way I know it's still back there is by periodically checking the rear view camera!
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

computermonkey
Explorer
Explorer
To go alone with what was said earlier about getting the right adapters for your tow bar.
I have a 2005 Jeep Wrangler that I tow off of the front bumper. My set up is:
Roadmaster Falcon all terrain tow bar
LOD off road Signature Series Full Width front bumper
LOD off road Destroyer Tow Bar Adapters for Roadmaster
New
2013 RAM Crew Cab, 3500 4x4
2019 Arctic Fox 1140 wet bath
Old
2016 Eagle Cap 960
2004 Jayco Talon ZX
1998 GMC Suburban with a Cummins 6BT conversion.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
thordriver wrote:
I have a jeep Wrangler that I tow. I am considering changing from the factory bumper, Has anyone done this and will I have an issue with the tow pins on the tow plate with a different bumper.

Thordriver,
There are many, many aftermarket bumpers available for just about any Jeep made. You don't say what year/model you have. But, Blue Ox is one of the prime tow bar makers and, they have many different kinds of tow bar adapters that will adapt from any model they have, to just about any aftermarket bumper. I've been using the Blue Ox ones on our '15 JKUR which, has a Smittybilt XRC Mod front bumper. The recovery tabs which, are about 1" thick and use 7/8" pins are what's used for towing.

I've been doing it that way for years and year without one single issue. The use of those recovery tabs makes for very easy hook up and disconnect. I also use D-ring handled pins from Tractor supply as pins. That also makes for easy pulling of them when it comes time for disconnect. Good luck. It's easy to setup like that.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Thordriver:
What is year and model of your Jeep?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Dinghy Towing from Towing.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 2 major manuf do have brackets or adapters to fit the tow bar to aftermarket bumpers. As well as some bumper manuf have attachments built into thier replacement bumpers.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would suggest calling Roadmaster and ask them about after-market bumpers.
They should know!
They show some after-market bumpers. Input your year make and model for application.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker