cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kawasaki Mule in truck bed, RV trailer towing

hbarker
Explorer
Explorer
Hey fellas., I have a load question for ya'll .

I drive a 2007 2500 GMC Duramax ext cab short bed.
This truck is also my work truck and I regularly have the following load on this truck .
Chemical tank 150 glfull= 1312 lbs liquid.
Loaded side tool boxes = 225 lbs
Spray rig frame & motor= 350 lbs
total regular daily load 1887 lbs
The truck has good shocks and firestone air bag load assist .
Handles and drives very well with this load on a daily basis.

We remove the spray equipment and tow our 32 ft RV trailer with this truck twice a year to Colorado. its total weight is @ 10000.
And are wanting to get a small kawasaki Mule to bring with us.
By removing tail gate I think it will just fit in bed. Sticking out somewhat but should fit. Less tail gate ?? 80 lbs ??
The Mules curb weight is 1057 lbs.
And best I can figure the trailer toung weigh is @ 800 lbs.
totaling 1857 lbs.. Witch is 30 lbs less than this trucks every day load. Does this sound doable?? And or safe?
13 REPLIES 13

hbarker
Explorer
Explorer
"If you check the actual numbers and it works, consider putting it in the truck backwards...I believe they are rear engine so backwards puts most of the ATV weight in front of the axle. But really it's a pretty marginal setup. "

Measured that too , the little bed sticks out to far to put it in backwards.
Would not clear my fender wells,. and probably take out the back window.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
I didn't see you list it...what's the payload of the truck.

If you are 9200 empty, I figure you are at least 11k loaded, so 1500 is a good first guess at tongue weight (actual would be better).

Add in the weight of you and your passngers plus misc stuff in the truck, that could easily be another 500lb.

Add in the ATV and you are likely pushing 3000lb payload which is more than a lot of 3/4 ton are rated for (check your door frame for actual).

If you check the actual numbers and it works, consider putting it in the truck backwards...I believe they are rear engine so backwards puts most of the ATV weight in front of the axle. But really it's a pretty marginal setup.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Other than fitting the mule in the truck bed (effectively and easy to load and unload, since this is more of a recreational setup than just for transport), the loads are within reason IMO. Yes it's a load, yes it's a heavy duty pickup that's designed for loads like that.
With a wdh, like you said, I don't see the truck even flinching at the weight.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bedlam
My suggestion is to get actual weights of your Mule and trailer tongue rather than using the brochure weight, then see if you can actually carry the Mule in the short bed without losing out the back. I ran 16-ply tires rated over 4800 lbs on rims rated At 4500 lbs so I could safely carry 8000 lbs on my rear axle. It also required additional suspension than just bags to get there...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

hbarker
Explorer
Explorer
Was doing a little measuring , The Mule rear tires would sit right on top of the bumper With tailgate removed I would need some blocks right under the rear tires of the Mule.(they would be on top of the rear bumper giving same level as bed) Front tires would just touch bed in front if the finder wells. I may have to remove the front aftermarket Mule bumper for this to fit.
(Smaller Mule 2019 SX 400 cc")

Silverado/Sierra 2500 HD Ext Cab 6.6L V-8 TD 12,000 (s)/
2WD Standard Bed 15,700 (a or m,s)

Skidus1
Explorer
Explorer
I haul a 4wheeler in mine that weighs 900 lbs plus my 1200 lb hitch weight trailer with no issues. You should have enough payload. Check your door sticker. My payload was 2300 with stock 3042 lb tires. Iโ€™m better with 3640 lb now. I bet you have more payload than me with the extra cab. Mines a crewcab.

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
You would be over the truck's GVWR, but I doubt you'd be over the rear axle/tire ratings.

My FIL runs a '99 3/4 dodge hauling a RZR 800S in the bed and a 30' Winnebago One in tow (~9700GVWR). That's in the 2000-2500lb payload range, just like what you are planning on doing.

The only problem I see is you having a short bed. The 800S requires the tailgate to be partially open on the long bed. I'm guessing the rear axle of the mule would be sitting on the tailgate unless you had a ramp setup to bring the front up over the cab.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
hbarker wrote:
so I would be ,and apparently usually run around a little overloaded /.
Well, according to the numbers posted, you could be looking at nearly !000 lbs. more than your daily weight.

If you have a 1500 lb. hitch weight and add 1100 lb. UTV in the bed, that would amount to 2600-2700 lbs. Nearly 900 lbs. more than what you say you haul every day. Maybe a bit more than "a little overloaded".

I take it you've weighed the trailer and know what your hitch weight is.

NOt only will there be more weight but a good bit of it will be located behind the rear axle.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
hbarker wrote:
Well, according to the numbers posted, you could be looking at nearly !000 lbs. more than your daily weight.

If you have a 1500 lb. hitch weight and add 1100 lb. UTV in the bed, that would amount to 2600-2700 lbs. Nearly 900 lbs. more than what you say you haul every day. Maybe a bit more than "a little overloaded". On Edit, realized this is a 3/4 ton and not a half-ton. Makes a bit of a difference. Definitely more capacity.

I take it you've weighed the trailer and know what your hitch weight is.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

hbarker
Explorer
Explorer

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Doable yes safe no.

hbarker
Explorer
Explorer
I do have air bags, And 10 ply bfgoodrich load E tires . if that makes any difference . my trailer claims 9200 dry. so its at least 10k + Loaded.
And do have a load leveling hitch on it.

Bedlam
A 10k LB trailer will have a 1000-1500 LB tongue weight.

The Mule is probably 8โ€™+ in length - You will likely have to ramp it over the cab to clear the rear.

The rear axle will take the weight, but you may find the rear tires, rims and suspension need upgrades to be handle the weight safely.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD