Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Key west

hogbob
Explorer
Explorer
Hello
We are driving are 38 foot motorhome with a toad. We are going to Key West, Florida. I wanted to know if anyone has driven Highway 41 instead of 75 as it seems much more direct.

Thank you for any advise.

Kenny
8 REPLIES 8

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pro tip, don't do that route at night, with a new moon, and rain.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
JoeH wrote:
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
"Before I 75 was put in, I used to drive Tampa to Key West all the way on US 41."

..... except for that stretch of US-1 for the last 3 hours of the trip, eh?

Yep -- 41 thru tampa, gibsonton, ruskin,sarasota,punta gorda,etc all the way to Krome Ave, then to US 1

. . . . so you really didn't drive "all the way to Key West on US41", did you? :W
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
"Before I 75 was put in, I used to drive Tampa to Key West all the way on US 41."

Yep -- 41 thru tampa, gibsonton, ruskin,sarasota,punta gorda,etc all the way to Krome Ave, then to US 1
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer

. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
I travel from Tampa to Key West several times a year. I take I 75 to exit 101, Naples, go about 6 miles on 951 to US 41.( North of this area, US 41 is a very urban road.) Go 82 miles and turn right on Krome Ave ( 997) for 22 miles and it'll put you right on US 1
41 is , to me , a much more pleasant drive than Alligator Alley ( I 75) and taking the route I do, you avoid all the crazy Miami area traffic.

Before I 75 was put in, I used to drive Tampa to Key West all the way on US 41.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
We took US 41 on both our trips to the Keyes. Good two-lane road. Some nice places to stop for scenery and side trips.
Big Cypress Wayside has a good campground with partial hook ups.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Agree. The Tamiami Trail is really an interesting drive. Lots to see and do along the way. More of a relaxing drive. Good highway.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hwy 42 aka the TaMiami Trail was the main road before the interstates. I is a good two lane highway and has a lot of interesting sights along it including the Shark Valley unit of Everglades NP. Stop and take the tour.
One warning, do not speed thru the Seminole reservation, you will get a ticket, not a speed trap but they are serious about it.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper