cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Land Travel To Canada From USA

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
I may be doing a workamping position this year and be within 20 miles of Canada. Can you direct me to a site that has the information as to the documentation I would need to enter Canada for a several day visit. I also want information on bringing a pet into Canada. If you have experienced a visit as I am describing, I would appreciate knowing what I should expect. I am travelling in a Class C Motorhome and am a USA citizen. THANK YOU!
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas
24 REPLIES 24

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
One time at Port Huron, MI/Sarnia crossing the Canadian officer asked if we had any guns. I stated I had a super soaker. He asked where I got it and I said I took it from a student in school choir. He got a good laugh at that one also. They do have a sense of humor. When they ask me where I am going I tell them Petawawa to sponge off relatives for a week.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Foggy wrote:
When the border guard is doing a quick look inside your RV he is watching your reaction as much as what he is looking at. If you look nervous there must be a reason.
I didn't see anyone mention the need for proof of vehicle insurance.
My insurance carrier provides special insurance cards for Canada.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

Foggy
Explorer
Explorer
When the border guard is doing a quick look inside your RV he is watching your reaction as much as what he is looking at. If you look nervous there must be a reason.
I didn't see anyone mention the need for proof of vehicle insurance.
Happy-Trails
Foggy

neil57
Explorer
Explorer
If the border guard asks if you have been fingerprinted or have a criminal conviction,they probably already know the answer! Even past convictions that you carry a pardon for must be declared. (if you have a pardon, have a copy with you) DUI, or impaired in Canada is a criminal offense on both sides of the border. I always try to remember you are entering another country as a guest, and try to act as such. Have crossed the border 100s of times and never had a bad time. Been searched a few times, and always treated with respect by both sides. Have a good attitude and remember they are doing their job of protecting their country.
2009 2500HD Sierra CC DA
2014 Crossroads Cruiser 35ss

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
mayo30 wrote:
No record of any kind,they can and will deny a DUI record.

This is correct. Even George Bush (can't remember if Sr. or Jr.) had to get special permission to enter because of an DUI from back in the 70's. Won't do it for every-day Joe with a DUI.
1999 Itasca Sunrise

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
Going to and from Canada is no problem, coming back into the US is. I do not know if it has gotten worse in the last five years but expect to be treated like an enemy alien coming back. And of course it may have gotten better.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
but last fall when we were crossing into Michigan at Sarnia/Port Huron....
I must have had the same guy in early December, after a day trip to visit family. Him: "bringing anything back?" Me: "Nothing except the potroast I ate" Him: "Was it good?" Me: "Of course, she's my sister". Him: "See ya!"

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
When I crossed into Canada at Sweetgrass, MT. the border guard asked me if I'd ever been fingerprinted. I didn't know then and I still don't know. I told him maybe when I joined the Navy. I think also on the Passport, but he had it in his hands at the time. I didn't even have to slow down much entering and leaving Alaska or re-entering the US. On the way back thru Sweetgrass, there was a 'C' with U.S. Plates that agents were busy emptying onto the ground.
Probably for some smart remark.
Several years before that, I flew a private plane into Montreal. When I landed, the Border Patrol drove to the plane, asked if I had anything to declare and that was it. I was parked next to another private plane. He had a pint mason jar with white powder in it. He swore it was powdered coffee creamer, but they took everything out of that plane including the seats. They tested the powder (it wasn't coke), stamped his passport and then let the pilot put everything back - without tools. Lessons to be learned - original packaging and no smart remarks.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
The border officers are usually all business, but last fall when we were crossing into Michigan at Sarnia/Port Huron following a drive from NY, the officer asked if we had made any stops in Canada. I told him we had stopped at the London Flying J for lunch and to walk the dog. He then moved to the side window of the coach where our dog was watching, and asked her if she had left anything in Canada besides a puddle. I laughed and told him she had tried, but I bagged the evidence, and it was in the waste bin if he needed it. When he stopped laughing, he said we had made his day, and waved us on through.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
mfinnerty wrote:
pitch wrote:
Re entry is a very serious affair, the border folks have absolutely 0 sense of humor.

Wasn't my experience this last summer reentering at border crossing between Waterton and Glacier. Agent asked if I had any other weapons beside the big black dog in the back seat. Kinda caught me off guard.

That's a commonly used trick similar to when a police officer asks "Do you have any guns knives, hand grenades or missiles?", an honest law-abiding person will stand there with a stunned look on their face or laugh like "Did I just hear that right?" but someone being dishonest will react much differently, afraid of being caught with something they shouldn't have.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Funny how words get said that trigger knee jerky stuff.

Canada doesn't turn back for no reason. For instance..a DUI in Canada is a criminal offense. As is minor possession from back in the 70's. A call to a border crossing agent is always the best way to determine somethings.

Also, as I have recently learned, not ALL hand guns are verboten. There are some categories that are allowed. Has to do with caliber and barrel length. I can't quote chapter and verse, but again..a border agent will clarify.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
Texas doesn't issue one for Mexico?

No. The state has joined many in refusing to verify identity/ citizenship status. Feels it is an unfunded federal mandate.

The Sentri program listed above is for frequent travelers to use only certain border crossings and special crossing lanes.

For folks who have to make a lot of crossings at one or a few locations - they are very valuable. Really for business people and local residents who work on the other side of the border.

You have to pass a background check, fingerprints and some other scrutiny. It can take a few months to get approved.

The cheapest and easiest cross border for US citizens is the Passport Card mentioned above - if you will only be crossing by land.

Otherwise - the US Passport is best.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
Texas doesn't issue one for Mexico? I was under the impression that all the border state had a version.

You would think so, Si? But they don't. They have a Trusted Travelers Plan called SENTRI, but I don't know how that works because I never go to Mexico.

I lived on the Canadian border before all of this documents requirements. When I was a young fella, we went over the border after work for the good beer, cheap gasoline, the great exchange rate on our money, and the "gentleman's clubs".
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
There is a section of this site called RVing in Canada and Alaska which has stickies with all kinds of links and information for travel in Canada.

Key point for me is how to search. Both Google and Yahoo have domained search engines, which go direct to Canadian sources, i.e. [url]www.google.ca. When you have that site up ask for 'tourism' & 'name of province'. Rather than asking the site to mail, I'd call and then you can tell them your special interests, hiking, camping, architecture, dinosaurs...... & they will send you pamphlets on these topics.

Pets. there is also a section in this site on Pets, Go to frame "Jump to Forum" at top right of a page. But some of us have had our vets recommend getting a health certificate . check if your type of pet food is carried in Canada. Always carry original store container for that food.

๐Ÿ™‚
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006