cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lanterns

thedoghouse
Explorer
Explorer

Enjoying evening with one my sons who has taken interest in old lanterns. It all started when his great uncle passed and he got his old lantern. We got 7 total but only 5 here this evening . They all have names like the one from his uncle named Jack And some are named by the year they are. All are from the 50's to the 70's. Got one belonged my papaw it's a 55. Just having fun
2008 Holiday Rambler Presidential Suite 36 RLT
2011 Ford F350 CC DRW B&W Companion
30 REPLIES 30

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Used to have an old red gas coleman. Now have several coleman propane lanterns. I am really surprised the mantles rarely break while traveling. Replace them maybe once every few years. I do not find them too bright as they can be turned down to a soft glow.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

ams1130
Explorer
Explorer
To us the sound of a Coleman lantern IS camping. We like to read at night; at least, until the fire hypnotizes us ๐Ÿ™‚
Ford F150
2014 KZ Sportsmen S242SBH

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Fizz wrote:
This is the best camping lantern.
Gives off good light without blinding everybody.

Hurricane Lantern (mail order)

X2 Have one of those in regular use. Helps keep mosquitos away too.

X3 I love the light of a good old oil lantern. My wife gets upset that I don't use the Coleman propane lantern she got me.
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
JimBollman wrote:
Not exactly the same class of lantern but this is what I put out if we are setup for any length of time.

They are called Yellow Dogs, I use Citronella oil in them. These are actually reproduction is a smaller size. You can google what Yellow Dogs were used for if you're interested.

Interesting. Thanks, I did look them up and had fun reading about the history.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

dennis1
Explorer
Explorer
I too love those Coleman Lanterns. Run a Propane Northstar at night for security. Also run about 6 older liquid fuel lantern at night. Really like to see where I'm going at night. Don't like the trip hazards at night. Really love lighting up the whole campsite along with a big hot campfire.
My new DRW and camper on the truck the first time.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
This is the best camping lantern.
Gives off good light without blinding everybody.

Hurricane Lantern (mail order)

"Way back when" - before battery operated warning lights on road work saw-horse type barriers - kerosene lanterns (like these) were used with *red* glass.
IMO - they were often "appropriated" from road work sites for camping use - with a change to clear glass.

Still have a couple with L.A. (Los Angeles) Public Works in raised letters on 'em.

Might be fun to take camping - but that *red* light might........:R

~

BTW - this was post #10K, but who's counting!?..:W

~

thedoghouse
Explorer
Explorer
zekegb wrote:
Wife thinks I am a Coleman collector or something. Have 4 Coleman two burner stoves. Carry one in motorhome. Have two Coleman backpacking stoves (carry one in motorhome). Use all the two burner stoves when cooking pancakes and sausage for rallies.

Have two Coleman lanterns (carry one in motorhome). One is a single mantle I got from my uncle and I think it dates from 1950s.

One of my two burners was "backfiring" (bought it for $5), so found an almost new Dualfuel for $17 at a thrift store. Wife says I have to get rid of one to keep it.

Look on the bottom of your lantern and you should see 2 numbers. They are the month and year of lantern

Like in first pic lantern is Feb 1974
2008 Holiday Rambler Presidential Suite 36 RLT
2011 Ford F350 CC DRW B&W Companion

zekegb
Explorer
Explorer
Wife thinks I am a Coleman collector or something. Have 4 Coleman two burner stoves. Carry one in motorhome. Have two Coleman backpacking stoves (carry one in motorhome). Use all the two burner stoves when cooking pancakes and sausage for rallies.

Have two Coleman lanterns (carry one in motorhome). One is a single mantle I got from my uncle and I think it dates from 1950s.

One of my two burners was "backfiring" (bought it for $5), so found an almost new Dualfuel for $17 at a thrift store. Wife says I have to get rid of one to keep it.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
While cleaning up one of my basement rooms a couple days ago I came across a kerosene lantern that must be at least 75 years old. It is made of much thicker metal than the ratty but functional reproductions still available today.

Unfortunately it leaks around the base so any restoration is going to be for decorative purposes only.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
We have about 20 Coleman lanterns between hangar, house, and cabin. Essentially grew up with them as both the emergency light source and light at the cabin. I think I've still got some from the old man of '50's vintage, most are 70's - 80's but the fleet age is getting younger as we keep busting globes and so forth.

They do put out quite a bit of light and heat, but can be turned down. While the mantles are delicate, they're at risk from abrupt jarring rather than smooth movement...we use a lit coleman for the evening walk around at the cabin before closing up for the night and haven't had any (IIRC) mantles collapse.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
Kinda reminds me of the old highway smudge pots,,,,its what was used before hazard cones!! they also used them to keep trolly track switches from freezing!

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
Not exactly the same class of lantern but this is what I put out if we are setup for any length of time.

They are called Yellow Dogs, I use Citronella oil in them. These are actually reproduction is a smaller size. You can google what Yellow Dogs were used for if you're interested.

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
Oasisbob wrote:
Love the old school qhite gas lanterns. I currently have one. Don't tell my wife. She made me toss the old one after it spew a rather long stream ow flamming white cas across the table catching it on fire. But that's what makes them fun and esciting.

OOppss. I did one of those dumb things several years ago when I went to pump it up and unscrewed the filler cap instead and released the pressure. Man,you should smelled the burned hair from my arm and the side of my head. No other real damage except to my dignity and the mild sunburn on my arm.
Still use the lanterns,one my family's from 1955 and the other my FIL's from early '60's, and also have both a two and a three burner Coleman stove. Don't use the three burner as it's missing some parts and the two burner is setup for propane and works super well.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
I collected Coleman's for a number of years. The one I've kept is a 1927 Coleman double mantle lantern. I believe 1927 was the first year to have a pressure pump built into the fuel tank. It also has a ising glass (sheet mica) globe on it, though when I use it I swap out the ising glass for a modern glass globe. I've found that it's a great campground conversation piece.