cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving ceiling fan on while traveling

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm been RVing for many years and always presumed that the ceiling vent should be closed while traveling. Today I was traveling in very hot weather and found, when stopping for lunch, that I had not only left the vent open but the fan running! :S But the good news was that the inside of my coach was wonderfully cool! 🙂 While I probably wouldn't be tempted to leave it open on purpose, it occurred to me that maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea. Thoughts?
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8
10 REPLIES 10

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you have the vent covers, it's a smart idea. That will protect the vent from damage and keep rain out.

Without the vent cover, the vent lids are flimsy and won't keep the rain out.

You could test it but likely you won't need to run the fan as the suction from running at speed will vent plenty well.

Note: I'm referring to the vent covers that go over the top of the standard vent as opposed to the vent lids that are part of the standard vent.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
And there is always the chance that the sloshing around will empty a drain trap enough that you pull air in through your grey water tank vent. Wouldn't be so bad in our trailer if it was the shower grey tank but if it was the kitchen grey tank it would stink something horrible.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
fan on really helps. But not a good idea if you hit unpaved roads or dusty areas.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I think with a motorhome, it's not a big deal, as you will be aware of what's coming into your vehicle. With a trailer, you might get a surprise after a long day of travel.

I've gone down miles of bumpy, dusty roads, then found that I accidentally left a vent open resulting in a heavy layer of crud all over everything. The tow vehicle was perfectly fine on the inside.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that you might draw in dust.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I’ve been leaving the rearmost roof vent open to dramatically boost my cooling and heating for decades.

People are amazed that I can cool my entire C all the way to the back with nothing but the dash A/C running. I’m not sure why they’d be surprised, in an E-series Ford the factory A/C is a 5 ton unit, the short-coming is the lack of fan capacity to keep up with it. By leaving the rear vent open (I have covers on all of them) the vacuum created by driving down the road pulls cooled air down the back.

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
No reason to close the lid if you want the air flow. They are made to operate when moving.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Mmwtdh wrote:
I do it all of the time.

My vents point to the rear and I have Maxx covers that face the rear, so no problems.

When I'm parked at home and turn the refrig on a couple of days before heading out, I make sure and let the vent fan run to keep the interior temp down and help the refrigerator.

running the fans with vent covers is a good idea.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Mmwtdh
Explorer
Explorer
I do it all of the time.

My vents point to the rear and I have Maxx covers that face the rear, so no problems.

When I'm parked at home and turn the refrig on a couple of days before heading out, I make sure and let the vent fan run to keep the interior temp down and help the refrigerator.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
i'd be concerned about wind danage to the lid. on hot days we run the genny and AC. we do leave the bedroom overhead ceiling fan running 24/7.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle